Sign in to follow this  
whydoyouwanttoknow

Helicopters spin around in circles

They seem to work fine in the multiplayer part of the game, but I'm stuck in the single player part of the game because the helicopter I'm flying just spins in circles.

Are you sure you aren't leaning on one of the rudder keys? Or perhaps have a key bound to more than one thing?

Are you sure you aren't leaning on one of the rudder keys? Or perhaps have a key bound to more than one thing?

Yes because I was flying a helicopter only a few minutes earlier in MP and apart from getting shot down it was flying straight.

Does your single player helicopter have a tail rotor?

Daniel @ July 07 2007,23:40)]Does your single player helicopter have a tail rotor?

Why wouldn't it? It'd be pretty silly to make me have to do a mission to continue with a broken chopper smile_o.gif

Well I just managed to with a number of retries to complete the mission. With the chopper wanting to spin out of control at all times I managed to shoot a few T72s and was ordered back to base to land. Landing was impossible.

Even going into auto hover would have the chopper flying all over the sky going sideways, backwards, etc but not hovering.

If I got near the landing site it would cut away from the chopper saying I'd done the mission but then the chopper would crash and I'd have to do it again. I eventually just ejected and walked back to base.

Could this be FADE? Is anything else about the game a bit ski-wiff, Or is it just the choppers? Do choppers spin uncontrollably in your own missions?

My guess is... joystick calibration.

Are you using a joystick? Try disabling joystick in controls.

Try flying a few different helicopters in the editor.

Could this be FADE? Is anything else about the game a bit ski-wiff, Or is it just the choppers? Do choppers spin uncontrollably in your own missions?

What's FADE?

It only seemed to be on this one mission. Any other time choppers have been fine.

Even flew one afterwards in the armoury with no problems.

Sound like you're playing SP from a mission save point.  I think your tail rotor got damaged before you saved, maybe on landing, if not under fire wink_o.gif.

Go to external view and see if it is spinning when the engine is on.  If it isn't, it's been damaged.

See a good video of a blackhawk having its rotor shot out: -

http://www.armed-assault-zone.com/downloads/index.php

(It's on page two of the videos)

Sound like you're playing SP from a mission save point. I think your tail rotor got damaged before you saved, maybe on landing, if not under fire wink_o.gif.

Go to external view and see if it is spinning when the engine is on. If it isn't, it's been damaged.

See a good video of a blackhawk having its rotor shot out: -

http://www.armed-assault-zone.com/downloads/index.php

(It's on page two of the videos)

No, it was happening right from take off. Even before I'd taken off actually. As I was powering up the chopper started to spin counter clockwise. I could sort of keep it straight in flight by applying right pedal but trying to land kept killing me.

And it was only that mission. Every other time I've flown a chopper it's been fine.

still sounds like you have got a tossed tail rotor confused_o.gif

Any damage should be immediately apparent at the top left of course, regardless of where it is.

Discussing fade isn't permitted on this forum, but if you have a legitimate copy of ArmA and you are experiencing odd behaviour of all kinds, I would PM a moderator or a member of the ArmA team.

It may also be something to do with joystick configuration.

On occasion I've had the infantryman's view (I rarely "fly"

anything in this game) spinning around crazily until I disabled

my joystick.

The chopper was probably damaged before you even got in it or something. Check in third person view and see if the tail rotor is spinning