Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Smoke Effects beta 1

Another

of some of the smoke settings. Not so much of the new animations, just an idea of what the environment looks like with tall smoke around.

Also shows off SNKMAN's blood effects, which are pretty cool.

Maybe i´m the only one interested in this great addon wink_o.gif but are there any news or at least somt tipps how to get this to run in the SP campaign?

Maybe i´m the only one interested in this great addon wink_o.gif but are there any news or at least somt tipps how to get this to run in the SP campaign?

LOL, just for you Psychonaut here's an updated version:

SmokeEffectsBeta2.rar

Smoke now has a *slightly* different look for different windspeeds (not quite perfect but it's all WIP) and the animated smoke has a slightly different look.

Right now (until Sickboy gets hold of it wink_o.gif) you need to add a trigger in the mission. One huge trigger that covers the whole island, set for Anybody, present, once, and with this line in the On Activation field:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">{_x addEventHandler ["killed", {[_this select 0, _this select 1] execVM "DMSmokeEffects.sqf"}]} foreach thislist;

and you'll need the DMSmokeEffects.sqf file from the mission PBO, place it in your mission folder.

notworthy.gif Hey nice. I will test it asap. And good news, that sickboy is working on it, too. You are turning Arma into a totally new looking game.

notworthy.gif Hey nice. I will test it asap. And good news, that sickboy is working on it, too. You are turning Arma into a totally new looking game.

That's the aim smile_o.gif personally, better smoke and blood addons were my 2 must-haves. I couldn't do the blood, but I can do the smoke smile_o.gif

*edit* BTW, I think I didn't rename the mission in the new pack, I don't think there's too much difference but you'd better make sure you're using the new version smile_o.gif

Hurrah! Just fixed the "blurry texture" problem with the custom animated smoke. Now it looks good all the time, no sudden blurryness, I will release a version 3 at some point.

I have had it pointed out to me though that it doesn't look good in low texture settings. I tried it and indeed it looks poor, but not too bad. I will suggest a setting of Normal or higher.

Just watched your last video and I must say you improved the smoke a lot.

Hope to see your smoke as a mod (or a part of the @SIX pack) to replace the default smoke in ArmA! smile_o.gif

And at last you are mentioned at armaholic.com. Seems, that you will become very popular in the community biggrin_o.gif !!! And if you ask me, you deserve it!

The new beta looks very nice. The blurry thing does not bother me very much, but it´s good to hear, that you fixed it. I´m using your addon with the newest version of XAM, ´cause they have some nice tank-explosion effect. I had to edit some eventhandlers to get it to work, but nothing too complicated.

What can i say:it feels and looks like a totally new game. Of course it works only with the large world trigger but i´m sure sickboy will find a solution for it. I´ve tried it by myself, but i was not able of coding a working eventhandler an script. Sorry, i really would have liked to help you with it.

I´m looking forward for the next version.

Thanks for the comments guys smile_o.gif the plan is for it to become part of the SixthSense addon pack, so one day it will "just work" in any mission smile_o.gif

I had considered doing some explosion effects, but I think XAM do it pretty good already, I'll just concentrate on smoke for now, I'm currently looking at how to improve building collapses too.

The beta 2 is also being hosted here too, I'll update the first post.

BTW, although I'm trying to get the smoke to be weather-reactive, at the moment it only has a very rough alteration for wind. Let me know if you don't like the way it's set now. Eventually it will change particle rate & lifetime based on how fast it gets blown away.

i'm guessing this doesn't work for MP. i tryed to put it on a mission on play it but to it doesn't work. enything about that??

i'm guessing this doesn't work for MP. i tryed to put it on a mission on play it but to it doesn't work. enything about that??

Yeah, apparently setParticleEtc doesn't work in MP, I'm having to rewrite it for MP use using Drop instead.

Rewriting the addon is taking ages, the setParticleParams command does NOT treat it's passed parameters the same way Drop does. So I have to do the "watch mission" thing for ever to recreate what I had:)

The good news is that the new way I need to structure the code means I can put weather reaction in easier, even though the actual smoke look is harder. So now the smoke reacts to weather.

So far the smoke adjusts it's lifetime and particle rate due to the wind (more wind = shorter lived smoke, but thicker as it's travelling faster. Effect is same amount of smoke.) and the smoldering aftersmoke effects reacts to rain. (Rain makes the smoke turn to steam (whiter and heavier) and also gradually reduces it's lifetime, so it extinguishes sooner. I'm sure the shorter lifetime effect is hardly noticeable, but it's there wink_o.gif)

I surely do hope Drop is MP friendly biggrin_o.gif

thx looking great

but i placed it the mods folder and i get the same smoke as the stock one do i need to add a command or something confused_o.gif

thx looking great

but i placed it the mods folder and i get the same smoke as the stock one do i need to add a command or something confused_o.gif

Right now if you want to have the effects in your missions you need to extract the SQF file & place it in your mission folder, and create a trigger (the details of which can be read in the SQF file itself). Soon I will release a version that has 2 files that you simply copy across into your missions folder and that's it, and then after that the intention is to have a standalone addon that "just works" smile_o.gif

Other than that, run the included mission.

Optimal, but I suggest that the smoke might be clearer when collapse a structure. Good work

Hmm.. So this smoke-addon it's just for MP, and not SP or the Editor? sad_o.gif

Sp

It actually doesn't work for MP right now, it's JUST a SP enhancement right now.

Haha alrighty then. *I'm stupid lol biggrin_o.gif*

Anyway they look pretty nice. Beats the hell out of the default ArmA smoke. wink_o.gif