Sign in to follow this  
Sand Flea

"Off-road" Vehicles

Hi All,

First off, this is a brilliant game, there is *nothing* wrong with it & I could easily post under a fanboy section biggrin_o.gif

But....

The vehicles (Land) tend to slow down ridiculously when not on a demarkated road surface, and even at times, tracked vehicles (Tanks etc) cant make it up the hill.

Suggestions for the next patch:

Make the vehicles moving over land, more, umm, speedy & less sluggish.

The helicopters however are fantastic!

Thanx

>"Off road" is what some military vehicles are designed for. And we are talking about a simulation here. Therefore your point is not valid.

Except that designing a vehicle for good off-road performance still doesn't mean that off-road is be as fast as on a decent road.

Tracked vehicles historically tended to handle off-road better than wheeled vehicles. Especially in a war zone, where otherwise flat ground can get churned up by the passage of heavy vehicles.

Bringing bikes into the argument...well I'm not sure what value that adds...bikes are bikes, after all, not cars.

Bottom line: I don't know whether the game speeds are realistic or not. (They are certainly slower than I would like, both on and off road, but that's not necessarily quite the same thing!wink_o.gif

Is it possible to code some vehicles to go faster over smooth sand and slow over rocky, rutty, gnarled forresty terrain?

>"Off road" is what some military vehicles are designed for. And we are talking about a simulation here. Therefore your point is not valid.

Except that designing a vehicle for good off-road performance still doesn't mean that off-road is be as fast as on a decent road.

For sure the point of the off-road trucks being slowed too fast when driving from tarmac to grass is a valid point. As someone said, it's like the brakes are used when in fact they are not.

And of course off-road performance should not be equal to decent road performance. But it really depends on what kind of surface you are driving, for example driving over a frozen lake which has only little bit of snow it's the same as driving in a frozen road. Other examples you can probably imagine.

The fact is, there are some annoyances in ArmA regarding how wheeled vehicles are slowed down when they go off from a road, and in my opinion it could be made smaller by BIS by not slowing the wheeled vehicles so drastically when they steer a little bit off from a road. That would help quite a bit already in my opinion as I think it annoys people the most that if they go just a little bit off then the strong braking effect hits them quickly, which certainly feels unrealistic to a real-life military off-road truck driver *waves hand*. I'm not so sure how a fix could be done, as I think there is some certain material value assigned to the ground, road versus grass and so on, and if a vehicle is on grass it has a certain "braking" factor and on tarmac another one and so on. So I think there are precise limits for this in the terrain and that is not easily changed I think. Except changing the materials/config so that the values for different surfaces are nearly the same.

Very good point, I think you've hit the nail on the head there...the drastic slowing when you put a single wheel of the main road surface for a second or two is very annoying.

Maybe the model works by considering only the part of the vehicle which is on the worst terrain, rather than some sort of average of what the whole of the vehicle is experiencing?

I vote for a speed up please.

This would have to be one of the games minor issues, and shold be addressed in a patch.