Sign in to follow this  
zootia

MANPADs too powerful

Hold on, you better read FM-166-34-533-453

because really, the missle at a .0600405 trajectory and blah blah blah

go die

have a tv party black flag style

Seriously, BIS did an awesome job. it's fine, just cause you suck, don't mean you gotta hate.

remember...hate player not game.

Hold on, you better read FM-166-34-533-453

because really, the missle at a .0600405 trajectory and blah blah blah

go die

have a tv party black flag style

Seriously, BIS did an awesome job. it's fine, just cause you suck, don't mean you gotta hate.

remember...hate player not game.

Bu-bye.

I love the "lock-tone" missle warning idea.  I wonder if it would actually make any difference if you took evasive manuvering though.

Is this a valid solution to making flight more survivable?  I will try it, anyone tested quick direction changes as a missle is fired?

Ah just read F16's post. maybe the tone warning is anti-realism...dang confused_o.gif

B: The stinger is actually pretty acurate but in Arma you can lock and hit at any angle. In real life you only have a chance of hitting if you fire in the rear ~60 degree cone (might be 180 not completely sure) as for the SA-7...its basically a step up from throwing rocks. Its way underpowered and and is about as guided as an RPG. In Arma it is shown as being equal to the Stinger.

The Stinger being a heat seeker, is it possible that you can only get an active lock tone when the rear aspect is facing you as a Stinger operator? Currently you can get a lock 100% all aspect.

Anti Air Missiles 101:

Only next generation aircraft with advanced sensors that detect the initial launch exaust plume however it can only detect the launch, it cant track or predict its target.

That is actually incorrect. The RAF and USAF have been using Nemesis for the last 5 years now and also the RAF Fleet has been undergoing upgrade to the a lighter version of the AN/AAR-57 Common Missile Warning System (CMWS).

Both Nemesis and the AAR-57(LW) are able to pic up the approaching infra-red flare of the MANPAD, provide a directional fix and will indicate using it's own sophisticated software whether you are the missiles intended target by calcualting the IR Signatures doppler effect.

The Nemesis is far more sophisticated and will even go one step further and neutralise the missile using a focused laser pulse.

I have had the fortune of having worked with a very early verson of the AAR-57(LW) and I can say clearly now it works very well with the pilots who are currently using the system.

The Stinger being a heat seeker, is it possible that you can only get an active lock tone when the rear aspect is facing you as a Stinger operator? Currently you can get a lock 100% all aspect.

Only really old heat-seeking missiles are limited to engaging targets from the rear aspect. The Stinger definitely does not fall under that category.

B: The stinger is actually pretty acurate but in Arma you can lock and hit at any angle.  In real life you only have a chance of hitting if you fire in the rear ~60 degree cone (might be 180 not completely sure) as for the SA-7...its basically a step up from throwing rocks.  Its way underpowered and and is about as guided as an RPG.  In Arma it is shown as being equal to the Stinger.

The Stinger is an all aspect MANPAD since it's updates to RMP Block I.

You do not need a rear aspect shot to ensure a hit with the Stinger. Naturally it's IR detector is not as powerful as say a Lima's but it is an all aspect system.

I understand that the MANPADs can fire from several kilometers away in real life. But in real life Attack choppers and fighter jets can engage targets way further away than is portrayed in arma. They scaled down the range of the aircraft based weapons for gameplay. The island was too small to have 1:1 modeling of weapon range. Thus, I was just saying that since they scaled the range for aircraft down, they should scale the range for MANPADs down also.

Well, I was on a Bezerk map the other day and caught someone tank sniping so I loaded up a stinger and locked him on, let it rip and... nothing... the missle went ten feet over the top of the tank and exploded behind him. Needless to say he zeroed in on me and wiped me out. No problem, I figured as I waited for the respawn timer, I loaded back up, locked on the guy again (he hadn't even bothered to move) fired and...nothing, again the missle went ten feet above him and exploded behind him. Once again I was instantly string cheese. There was no land or building obstacles between us, he wasn't moving, the stinger just... missed. So the third time, I loaded up, spent 10 minutes of game time sneaking around behind him, got right up behind him (again, he made no effort to move) and fired POINT BLANK into his rear-end, knowing full well I would probably die in the fireball. And yet, somehow, I missed. Because of the launch explosion I couldn't see what happened to the missle but it exploded somewhere beyond him. Needless to say, he pulled off a short distance, turned the turret around and plugged me as I sat there seething in impotent rage at my successive robbings. The round was over right after that. So either these weapons have some weak spots or that guy was up to something...

Rick

edit: um... Javelin, not Stinger in each case above... my bad crazy_o.gif

How about using something like a proper Anti TANK weapon for the job instead of a heatseaking anti AIRCRAFT missile... M136 or RPG will do the job when shooting somebody in the arse. yay.gif

Well, I was on a Bezerk map the other day and caught someone tank sniping so I loaded up a stinger and locked him on, let it rip and... nothing... the missle went ten feet over the top of the tank and exploded behind him. Needless to say he zeroed in on me and wiped me out. No problem, I figured as I waited for the respawn timer, I loaded back up, locked on the guy again (he hadn't even bothered to move) fired and...nothing, again the missle went ten feet above him and exploded behind him. Once again I was instantly string cheese. There was no land or building obstacles between us, he wasn't moving, the stinger just... missed. So the third time, I loaded up, spent 10 minutes of game time sneaking around behind him, got right up behind him (again, he made no effort to move) and fired POINT BLANK into his rear-end, knowing full well I would probably die in the fireball. And yet, somehow, I missed. Because of the launch explosion I couldn't see what happened to the missle but it exploded somewhere beyond him. Needless to say, he pulled off a short distance, turned the turret around and plugged me as I sat there seething in impotent rage at my successive robbings. The round was over right after that. So either these weapons have some weak spots or that guy was up to something...

Rick

These "weak spots" are mainly due to:

1. Having a very small warhead designed to damage aircraft, not tanks. You might as be throwing spitballs at an M1A1.

2. Having guidance that attempts to hit flying aircraft and not stationary tanks. ArmA mechanics for missile flight are very crude so I don't know why it wouldn't simply aim for the center of the vehicle.

In real life I don't even know if a Stinger would lock/track a T-72, partly due to the proper heat signature, partly due to the proximity to terrain, and partly due to the IFF system programmed into the Stinger.

Heh, wow, I was still seething as I wrote my post. Please substitute the word "Javelin" for every incidence of "Stinger" in my previous rant...

whistle.gif

Rick

Heh, wow, I was still seething as I wrote my post. Please substitute the word "Javelin" for every incidence of "Stinger" in my previous rant...

whistle.gif

Rick

This is simply because you are too close.

Javelin works best at +200m, because of his flight course.

If you are closer, aim lower.

This is simply because you are too close.

Javelin works best at +200m, because of his flight course.

If you are closer, aim lower.

Um, well, my first two shots were from about 300 m against a non-moving target, the last was five feet from his back door...

Rick

The Javelin in ArmA is still very dodgy. Look at the OFP community made Javelin to see how a proper Javelin should work. wink_o.gif

But anyway, this thread is dedicated to Man Portable Air Defence.