Sign in to follow this  
Sleepdoc

Can the Compass be made peristent on screen?

I would very much like to find a way to make the compass stay on screen persistently.  And for those who think i am unfamiliar with tapping the letter "K" twice, that feature is not persistent enough.

Whenever i zoom into my sights and return to normal view, the compass is gone.  And although I appreciate some might make an argument that they did this for realism purposes, please step aside for those who can help me with my quest.

I would like to know if this is moddable, or if this "feature" is somehow hard coded in the executable, and therefore not available to be altered.

Now for the reason I want this....

When functioning as a fire team, teaching squad members to call their contacts and communications efficiently by always using compass headings is hard.  And the fact that the compass disappears after zooming and they have to bring it back up in the heat of the contact in order to get tehir orientation for the radio comms, makes it even harder.  

If the compass could be truly peristent, this fire team communication technique could become far more accessible and training would be greatly enhanced.  then later, once the fire team knows the map and gets oriented, it may be that they don't need a compass at all.  But during training, I need to keep it up for me and all squad members at all times.

Thank you for any educated information that you can provide on this issue.

Without looking (so take this with a grain of salt), it should be possible to mod the UI config to make the compass persistent on screen and to move it to a handier position. The disadvantage would be that you couldn't use the compass to get exact bearings any more.

Apart from that, I don't imagine there's a control setting you could change to make it always-on if the double-tap doesn't work.

Best of luck, though smile_o.gif

Canuk,

I have to assume from your response that you did not understandmy point.

You noted that "if the double tap doesnt work for me....".

the doubel tap works fine. it fixes the compass on the screen. But if i go into iron sites and then come back out, the compass is gone. you have to double tap it again.

I want the compass to remain persistent on the screen. even after (and possibly during) the iron sites.

try it. double tap the letter "K and fix the compass. Then go into and back out of iron sights. Poof. the compass is no longer there.

+1 for this, and I'd like to be able to move it to somewhere better on the screen too.

I liked how the compass was in OFP:Elite, in the corner so it doesnt interfere with play. Press the button once it comes up and stays up until you press the button again.

I would also wish that the compass was made bigger, I cant see the bearings on the compass and in MP this is often how I used to report direction of enemies in OFP but cant do this no more since the compass is so damn small.

The same is true for the GPS map. In certain type of missions it's good to have it on most of the time, but looking through a scope makes it go away which is annoying.

I wouldn't say a fix should be 'modded' to ArmA, I would say this needs to get improved by BIS.

Or have we missed something from the game that makes this problem disappear?

I'm also interested in finding a way to allow compass, gps and watches while you are looking through any sights. Tried to find the right config value to override it with patch, but no luck... If anyone will find the solution for this, please, share.

OK, I'll buy that. but couldn't it come back automatically when you come out of zoom?

OK, I'll buy that. but couldn't it come back automatically when you come out of zoom?

A legitimate question.

Its not realistic to have all the time (also in zoom-mode) a compass-view.

That's not what we want.

The problem is, when you look through weapon optics, then back to normal view again, the previous setting of the compass/GPS being on has been turned off. Now we need to turn it on again, and again and again... how convenient is that if you want for example the GPS to be on during the whole mission? Not convenient.

Wow. I'm glad to see so many people share my interest. Kinda validates my frsutration with this "feature".

Now if we can just catch the eye of a modder (or even BIS) with this issue....