Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

PAA into P3D

Can someone tell me how to get my .PAA texture file into P3D format please? Oxygen documentation is very scarce in this area. I had thought that Oxygen was a modeling tool, but it seems my texture (which is actually an array of particle textures) needs to be in this format before I can make use of it in scripts.

Ta smile_o.gif

which is actually an array of particle textures

are you going to make new drop animated particle ? than it's easy just like in ofp.

I'm confused as .PAA is a texture and .P3D is a 3D model format. You can't get a .PAA in a .P3D but you can reference it as a texture for a surface of the 3D model.

Precisely my confusion. Take a look at what you need to reference for particles at the moment:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Image:Particles.jpg

This is the image of what "SmokeAnim.p3D" looks like. When I try to reference a .PAA file for use in smoke textures I get a CTD and the error message:

"Warning: preNLOD format in object DMSmokeEffects\DMSmokeEffects.paa"

DMSmokeEffects.paa being a file inside my DMSmokeEffects.pbo file. This error message suggests that the texture I need to reference must somehow be a .p3d file, same as the code example here:

Quote[/b] ]_PS1 setParticleParams [["\Ca\Data\ParticleEffects\FireAndSmokeAnim\SmokeAnim.p3d", 8, 2, 6], "", "Billboard", 1, 1, [0, 0, 0], [0, 0, 0.5], 1, 1, 0.9, 0.3, [1.5], [[1, 0.7, 0.7, 0.5]], [1], 0, 0, "", "", _obj];

Where as you can see the smoke texture used in this particle code snippet is taken from a .p3d file.

which is actually an array of particle textures

are you going to make new drop animated particle ? than it's easy just like in ofp.

Easy if you know how smile_o.gif if you know, tell wink_o.gif

Hmm OK, latest news is that I hex-edited an existing BIS .p3d file to reference my .PAA instead and use that in my addon and that worked somewhat smile_o.gif

But I get an error that says that my mipmaps cannot be loaded. As far as I can tell there are mipmaps in the .PAA file.

The smoke looks pretty good ingame smile_o.gif anyone know anything about mipmaps not being loaded?

Mipmaps are usually a separate .paa file.

Where did you get that? crazy_o.gif

Every .paa file I ever used had the mip maps stored in the same file. They're just scaled down versions of the image, used at lower LODs.

Quote[/b] ]which is actually an array of particle textures

make a flat plane in o2. map it with texture named like my_fire.01.paa All other textures have to be named in series

my_fire.02.paa, my_fire.03.paa and placed into pbo togethere with the first one. Then use drop command

Just look at the standart ofp drops - in arma there's the same principle.