Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Smoke effects in MP

Well I have no idea how particles are treated in MP, it seems a lot of traffic would be generated if the server looked after all explosion effects & smoke seen by all players. I would suspect that smoke effects are almost purely client-side effects as each smoke effect from similar vehicles look identical. More randomness would create different things for different players.

If I create a smoke effects addon, am I creating a client-side addon only?

Yes, particle effects run on clients only, for the exact reasons you mentioned before. If you want sync'ed smoke effects, trigger this on the server and have the clients create their own effects using local scripts.

Victor

I am not so certain. I asked a similar question awhile back and got no answer. You use createVehicle to create a particle source, so how would that remain local? The question is whether the commands that set a paticle sources parameters have a local or global effect.

I am not so certain. I asked a similar question awhile back and got no answer. You use createVehicle to create a particle source, so how would that remain local? The question is whether the commands that set a paticle sources parameters have a local or global effect.

Well actually I use a procedure called createVehicleLocal which explains things somewhat smile_o.gif

If you are the same DM from the FrugalsWorld forums, then I liked what I had seen of your smoke effects you posted screen shots of. Hope you get them released. If this is not you, then disregard, carry on lol.

If you are the same DM from the FrugalsWorld forums, then I liked what I had seen of your smoke effects you posted screen shots of. Hope you get them released. If this is not you, then disregard, carry on lol.

Yep, it's me smile_o.gif I put up a simple scenario there if you'd like to see it for yourself.

*edit* in fact, here it is smile_o.gif uses the Sahrani no-grass map.