Sign in to follow this  
mike@uk

British SF Desert Dynamic Campaign

Hi Mike@Uk,

I'll try your new 1.1 version of the campaign together with "Vilas' Cold War Unit Pack" and I'll post the results.

Regarding the question about how the lag is now (version 1.1) the answer is that despite it's quite improved compared with the previous version the FPS do sometimes get too low to be playable. The best description of what happens is what Manzilla described in his latest post:

Quote[/b] ]The missions begin completely lag free but as they progress the lag gets worse and worse to the point the mission is unplayable. If I quit the game and continue the mission later, the lag is the same as when I saved and left the game.

So one of the improvement of version 1.1 over 1.0 is that it takes longer for the FPS to become unplayable. Reducing the number os squads in the "StartACDS" files seems to help greatly with the FPS (and I've already managed to fight against an enemy squad in the objective area with good FPS with a custom modified "StartACDS" file) but could an another reason be behind the low FPS?

Can someone with the know how please try to fix this campaign. It's a fantastic but gradually the lag gets so bad it can't be played. Even if I play it with all mods disabled, except what's required, after starting out just fine as time goes by it is unplayable. If I had the slightest idea how to do this sort of thing I would. Please, someone, I beg you. Your time would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I promise... whomever fixes the lag, Me love you long time honey!

I love how you utalized the addons in this!

good job!

Can someone with the know how please try to fix this campaign. It's a fantastic but gradually the lag gets so bad it can't be played. Even if I play it with all mods disabled, except what's required, after starting out just fine as time goes by it is unplayable. If I had the slightest idea how to do this sort of thing I would. Please, someone, I beg you. Your time would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I promise... whomever fixes the lag, Me love you long time honey!

One way to reduce lag would be to reduce the amount of random units. You will need to edit the \Core\StartADCS.sqs file for each mission. It's pretty easy to do so, even without scripting skills.

Open the file, and scroll about half way down until you see:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">; Squad Sizes

; [Minimum,Maximum] The maximum limit is 12

SquadSizeFriendly = [4,4]

SquadSizeEnemy = [5,12]

SquadSizeCivilian = [1,5]

; Vehicle group sizes

; [Minimum,Maximum] The maximum limit is depends on the type of vehicle. AFVs have a maximum of 4, cars of 12.

AFVSizeFriendly = [2,4]

HeloSizeFriendly = [1,2]

AirSizeFriendly = [1,2]

CarSizeFriendly = [1,4]

AFVSizeEnemy = [1,4]

HeloSizeEnemy = [1,2]

AirSizeEnemy = [1,2]

CarSizeEnemy = [1,3]

CarSizeCivilian = [1,3]

HeloSizeCivilian = [1,1]

AirSizeCivilian = [1,1]

CampSize = [4,9]

Simply reduce the maximum (the second value) to something smaller. Then copy the StartADCS.sqs file to each mission folder.

Tacrod

Thanks for the info. I'll try that.

Also, do you know if a new version was just released on Armaholic.com. I see on the Latest Additions page this mission is now at the top of the Campaign section and it's dated Aug. 12. Although it still says it's V1.1b and there's no posts on this thread about a new version. I just downloaded it but it looks like no changes were made from the v1.1b version released in early July. It's a little confusing.

Version 1.1b is still the same as the 1.1b from this thread, I guess it just takes them a while to update the site with all links etc as they try to add every mission ever made it seems. tounge2.gif

I don't know what's causing the lag, but I'd guess doing what Tacrod said would be the best idea to try to tweak the AI numbers for each individual player, I get lag in CTI games with AI after a while, I guess it's just an ArmA thing with lots of AI moving around all the time.

I was able to do what tacrod said and it works now. But one problem, I think I accidentally changed a number and it made the insertion helo go away. Cause on raid missions it never shows and I get an error message in the upper left. Shit I just forgot what the error was..... It was "# minimum" or something like that. It had a "#" I remember that for sure... Oh this sucks.... I can't believe I just forgot what the error said. I'll have to try it again when I get home.

well I installed it right but Im getting errors below

Cant find Vilas_gue\gue6_soldier.p3d

and error in cfg VIL_Ak74.

Whats up here?

Getting more errors.While at SAS base I tried calling the helicopter.I could hear it very close by but clicking "Move" did nothing and clicking "land" only gave me an "no load" error.

The Helo won't show up for me either, although it has for this mission in previous versions. I believe they error I get is a little different. I think it's "# error missing". I'll have to re-check when I get back home though.

The Helo won't show up for me either, although it has for this mission in previous versions. I believe they error I get is a little different. I think it's "# error missing". I'll have to re-check when I get back home though.

Yes thats the error I get I couldnt remember it right until you mentioned it.

get confusedt ofer here can u zip all the files in 1 file so u heve efryting in 1 file and not have to brouwes the internet to add all the addones

tanks for the campaine eny wy cos peeps needt to make them more budt i alwys get crazy of all dos addons u needt i prefere all addons and the campaine in 1 file tanks

I haven't had/seen the Helicopter bug on my version so I don't know what it is sorry, however I've edited it to move the helicopter to the start area and added the helecopter to all missions (apart from Battle), if that doesn't fix it I've also added an empty MH-6 to each mission so you can at least have a Helicopter.

Version 1.1c Rapidshare

Armaholic

Mike@Uk

That's odd you weren't getting the error. At first I thought I might have screwed up the mission when I was trying to make the changes per Tacrod's advice. So I dl'd a 1.1b again and tried the campaign again without any changes. When it happened again I was stumped, I never had a problem with that Helichopper in v1.1b before.

Next, I was thinking an addon I didn't realize I had activated was the culprit. But that wasn't it either. I use Kegety's ArmA launcher and the only AddOns I had activiated were those required to play this campaign. I created a Mod folder specifically for your campaign so besides what's required, the game was plain vanilla.

Regardless, I'll give this a try right now and give any feedback if necessary. Thanks for another update.

The real reason for my current post is to ask if you have any suggestions as to what I should lower the Squad values to in order to get rid of the lag(as much as possible) but still have enough enemies,etc to keep the campaign from being to simple.

Have you found a good combination of changes you could suggest? When I made changes the lag seemed to stop but in all honesty, I have no clue what I was changing/doing and what effect the changes have on gameplay. Do certain changes make more of a difference? Should I only change enemy squad sizes, or all squad sizes. How about cars, vehicles, helo's, etc. Again, I have no real idea what I'm changing. I just know I'm lowering some numbers and the lag seems to dissipate.

The way I understand it (Tacrod would know better probably) is that the numbers in the StartADCS files, under "Number of random squads" are for the AI units that spawn on the Island, but are not directly linked to the mission objective itself (I'm presuming that when the missions are generated, seperate enemy AI groups are spawned in the direct area of the objective).

So for example if enemy squads was 2,5 and enemy cars was 0,2 then between 2 and 5 enemy squads would be randomly spawned across the Island and 0 to 2 enemy Car groups would be spawned, but there would still be a certain amount of enemies near the objectives.

It's hard to find the right numbers to set as if you set them to high then it'll lag, but if you set it too low there won't be many enemies around to challenge you.

You can also change the Squad sizes in the StartADCS file under "Squad Sizes", so that you can set the minimum and maximum enemy units to be spawned in each group, which might help with the lag as you could raise the number of groups but lower the size of them to keep the random encounters high.

Excellent. Thanks for the help. That's exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate the info.

Mike@Uk,

Question.... Do you think the problem I had in v1.1b with the insertion helicopter not showing up and the corresponding error message has something to do with the fact that I'm using MapFact Airpack v1.08? I just noticed that both the Readme and this thread have MapFact Airpack v1.05 listed as a requirement.

Now that I think about it, until a few days ago(when I 1st had a problem with the heli) I hadn't really played this campaign since the end of June/early July. I believe the new MapFact Airpack was released in mid-July. Could the new Airpack v1.08 be the culprit?

Even though I'm dumb as a rock when it comes to anything relating to ArmA, except actually playing the game. It seems plausible to me that the new Airpack could have an effect. But shit... what do I know? rofl.gif

**Damn! Sorry for double posting, everyone.**

I just downloaded V1.08 of Map_Air but it didn't do anything differently I'm afraid. confused_o.gif

I've been attempting to play this campaign and for the times I could get it to work it's been a true blast....however the AI pisses me off on constant accounts with its stupidity...I can't get it to get to the right ammo loadout as it tends to just want to go to the ammo box that is easiest for them to reach, I can always load up a jeep or vehicle then drive it outwards but this is just a time consuming way of doing it..I truly miss the old OFP loadout "notebook" and getting them to bring out what I want them to carry is a major pain.  Also, the AI pilot takes forever to land when I tell him to, and sometimes carries on flying around for about 3-5 mins only to get me shot down by a SU34 that flies by or even ground fire that takes out all my friendlies...sometimes the AI pilot will just crash into the side of a mountain while it's circling looking for a spot to land.  I've been playing this with the 6thSense mod and this has really improved the engagement range of the friendly AI, if it weren't for the stupid AI's failure to loadout correctly and the AI pilot things would be great.

Edit: I am using v1.1c of the campaign

When I boot the game i get the following message:

'Addon MAP_Air_Weap' requires Addon 'Map_Misc'

The game then loads but when I go to the campaign screen there's an error message about the brit campaign missing a description and it doesn't show as a selectable campaign.

Hope you can fix this 'cos it sounds like fun.

You need to put the MAP_MISC .pbo file in the Addons folder or Mod Folder with the MAP_AIR_WEAP. If you dl the MapFact pack you will see the MAP_MISC .pbo you need.

Great mission!

The only issue I had was that the game became jerky beyond playable on the intercept/find Scud launcher mission. My 3 men and I got pinned down by a squad sized group of enemies and as I approached them it just got jerkier and jerkier

(If you want to try to reduce lag without having to download the newer version and the addons, then try going to:

ArmA/Campaigns/British Desert SF ADCS/Missions/ADCS_Battle.Map_SSara/Core

open "StartACDS" with Notepad and go to the group that starts with "EnemySquads = [X,X]" and change the two X numbers to the min/max dynamic squads you want to have, you can do this with Friendlies and armour etc also.

But make sure you copy your modified StartADCS file to all the other missions so they're the same.)

Shashman

Try this, check the comment above(The rest is on page 2, beginning). Also Check what Tacrod told me to do, page 2 I think, below Mike's post that has this quote in it. I did this and it works fine, but now it CTD occassionally when I save.

The campaign Dynamic War has an improved way of helo insertion/extraction...the screen simply goes black while all soldiers are loaded up/dropped off...not sure if you'll take this as constructive advice but just trying to help deal with the faulty chopper insertions/extractions as I myself have had these problems when I was making missions for VBS1.

Dynamic War