Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Anybody know "C"?

Hey Ex-Ronin i just bought C++ for dummies (lol!wink.gif anyway can u or someone help me get STARTED wink.gif (<---look at this face, its all jacked up ahahah) anyway iiiiii cannnnnt starrrrrrttttttt what is a rhide?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif??? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

thanks

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Brentk @ Feb. 19 2002,09:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey Ex-Ronin i just bought C++ for dummies (lol!wink.gif anyway can u or someone help me get STARTED  wink.gif (<---look at this face, its all jacked up ahahah)  anyway iiiiii cannnnnt starrrrrrttttttt     what is a rhide?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif??? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

thanks<span id='postcolor'>

2 b honest, not the best book.....you would be better of with C++ book from Deitel & Deitel.....a lot of people use that book in college. I learned with some wierd guy's book other than that....but it was ok....my suggestion is that you take some C++ programming class.

I learn (pogramming languages) from equal amounts of reading & mucking about (trying out code 'n' stuff like that). I highly recommend it.

To be quite honest, I don't really want to do neither C nor C++, but they are both part of the degree, so I guess I can't do anything about it. What I would prefer doing is Java and Perl and stuff like that, esp. for Internet applications. Networking etc. would be nice too. Maybe Visual Basic. Stuff like that.

Best thing of course would be to end up programming games....but thats mostly C++, innit?

My assignment is due on Tuesday, I figured the structure thing out (sort of), but I can't write the "for" loop to add the individual areas and sum them all up sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Thorn @ Feb. 15 2002,21<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">uhm, tell your lecturer he does not know jack, and he should better get going to learn some serious languages.

c you will pick up on the way learning c++. Important is only to be aware which syntax actually is c and which is c++. As for learning to programm, nearly nobody does prefer c today for anything if he has the choice to start from scratch. It is still much used in the operating programming sector, because the time most of the OS begun to took modern shape, c was hip.

Today c++ is almost "old school". And if you want seriously do some speed work, you take assembler or forth, but I do assume that you do not want to do micropsocessor programming in general, so c++ will serve you well.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree with you that people should go for C++ and not learn C first and then C++.

But come on.. C++ is not “old schoolâ€â€¦most games today are done in C++ (MSVC++) and with help of OpenGL or DirectX you can make a pretty fast engine without any use of assembler.

I cant think of any other language(high level) that is equally fast …I have not tried C# yet but I think C++ is better suited for fast game programming.

The reason why I say C++ is almost oldschool, ist that it has not had a major specification update since almost ten years. Of course some compilers compile c++ now better then ten years before, but all the major concepts that where incorporated into that language where here ten years before as a specifikation.

Therefore it "could" be considered a dead language.

There is a great number of script languages, half compiled, full compiled and full programming languages, for almost every purpose you can find the right one. And in some parts, all these perform better in their special ability then c++. The strenght of c++ is not its very high abstraction, indeed it is not even a conidered "high language", it is a middle language, but with full OO, of wich there is only other big one. Intresting is also that it incorporates two programming languages into one, and is therefore a hybrid language. And with these characteristics, it is realy unique.

What makes it so longlasting is not it's actuallity, it's the foresight of their inventors. They did everything, to make C++ as versetaile as C before, and created a language that can be used for almost everything, if you are willingly to learn a complex language.

The other reason why I say oldschool ist that C++ is still gaining ground in the gamebizz. But loosing ground on the other Applikation development fronts. There are still not many OS that are completely written in C++, and OO is still a gohst in the DB sector, but nonetheless, the wheel still rotates, and while C++ will become more and more the language of spead freaks, and OS programmers, the rest of the Applikation development will be founded on other newer, and easier languages.