Sign in to follow this  
RangerX3X

Fast Rope & Woodland Camo?

The outer box sleeve for the US game in the flap clearly shows:

1. US troops in woodland camo.

2. Soldiers fast roping out of a blackhawk.

Am I missing something here? I can find no woodland camo soldiers in the game and how do you work the fast roping without the use of scripts?

No one seems to have the answer for this on several forums.

This is a pretty serious misrepresentation of the game if:

1) It isn't in the core game as released and/or

2) Atari/Bohemia were expecting the mod community (aka BAS) to take care of this for them.

I know Atari has a history of this - just look at the blatant advertising used on their 2600 console games back in the 70's compared to what the game actually looked like.

But this is 2007, and to put something on the box that is not even in the game is pretty bad marketing IMHO, if not false advertising.

If this is buried in the game as something you have to unlock, then the documentation is pretty lacking to say the very least.

For US troops in Woodland, get Ebud's fantastic SF addon

for fast ropping.....wait for mods confused_o.gif

Most of the games I have display some kind of "artistic licence" on their cover designs.

Surely you read at least one review of ArmA before purchase? Especially if you are interested in "fast roping". If none of the reviews mentioned "fast roping" then I think it was a safe bet it wasn't a feature of the game.

I think there are one or two threads here in the BIS forums that mention the lack of fast roping.

I've never made a purchase based on box art, I must say!

And BIS is resposible for the box art? Nope.

I'd say take it to Atari and have them mod you your money back.

Why do people even want woodland camo?   This is a modern game, woodland is so yesterday.   I want modern ACU's, not woodland.  

Personally I'd like to be able to pick between arid and temperate marpat.   Arid marpat is only useful in like 10-20% of the island.   Most of the island is grass trees and bushes.   Very little of it is arid.   So why did the US ship their boys off to Sahrani with the wrong camo?

EDIT: Oh, and btw, unless the Atari box ships with a picture I'm not aware of, they're not fast roping. I've not seen the Atari box, but I assume it uses the same picture as what's shown here on the atari site http://www.atari.com/us/games/armed_assault/dvd_rom (I'm talking about the small picture middle right, with Armed Assault Combat Operations at the top.)

I'm 98% sure hey're not fast roping. The chopper that the camera angle is shot from is on the ground, with 1 trooper in the door and one on the ground getting in the blackhawk. And the blackhawk in the background is definately not doing any fastroping maneuvers... So where did you get this fast roping from?

In Germany the is a thing called "Prospekthaftung" which means everything that is on a cover must be inside, except it is mentioned that it is decoration and hence not included. Dunno if this law is also existing at EU level.

Quote[/b] ]Why do people even want woodland camo?

True, there not being used any more. But ACU doesn't work in game, plus BIS made it look like crap. But I would have really loved the early woodland pictures BIS released some time a go.

I was actually wishing for a mix of ACU, woodland and desert so the mission maker could choose depending on the time their mission is set to. - A little wishful thinking biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I'm 98% sure they're not fast roping. The chopper that the camera angle is shot from is on the ground, with 1 trooper in the door and one on the ground getting in the blackhawk. And the blackhawk in the background is definitely not doing any fastroping maneuvers... So where did you get this fast roping from?

-

Quote[/b] ]The outer box sleeve for the US game in the flap clearly shows:

1. US troops in woodland camo.

2. Soldiers fast roping out of a blackhawk.

I'm guessing thats not the picture hes talking about, he says it clearly shows woodland soldiers and in that pic there are no woodland soldiers so it probably isn't that picture.

I'm 98% sure hey're not fast roping. The chopper that the camera angle is shot from is on the ground, with 1 trooper in the door and one on the ground getting in the blackhawk. And the blackhawk in the background is definately not doing any fastroping maneuvers... So where did you get this fast roping from?

That's on the cover of the box, what he is talking about is the inlet on the inside (only in the US version's case). It's one of the early pictures of ArmA with soldiers in Woodland BDU and a few fast roping from a blackhawk.

ACU is about the most worthless camo available. Its ment for all situations, but matches none. If your wearing uit and end up actually fighting in green enviroments you wight as well be wearing a glowing neon sign saying " please shoot me". Im not just refering to it in game, its truely that awfull in the real world.

this isc the only time ive seen ACU actually work :-

camo_couch--large-msg-116630261012.jpg

aacofastrope.gif

Thanks for the responses above, and I understand the points made. It is not like I am dying without it or the game is ruined for me, I just thought it was pretty shoddy of the developer to allow their product to be packaged as such.

While there is some amount of artistic license, given the fact that fast roping was a popular component of one of OFP's most popular mods, throwing this in the box art is a bit like baiting.

Why do people even want woodland camo?   This is a modern game, woodland is so yesterday.   I want modern ACU's, not woodland.  

Personally I'd like to be able to pick between arid and temperate marpat.   Arid marpat is only useful in like 10-20% of the island.   Most of the island is grass trees and bushes.   Very little of it is arid.   So why did the US ship their boys off to Sahrani with the wrong camo?

man, you don't even know what you want icon_rolleyes.gif . you say you want ACUs, but in the next line you talk about MARPAT. you DO realize that those are different patterns for different branches, right? whistle.gif

since the guys in ArmA are Army, they are using the correct camo (ACU). what is your point anyway? icon_rolleyes.gif

Why do people even want woodland camo? This is a modern game, woodland is so yesterday. I want modern ACU's, not woodland.

Personally I'd like to be able to pick between arid and temperate marpat. Arid marpat is only useful in like 10-20% of the island. Most of the island is grass trees and bushes. Very little of it is arid. So why did the US ship their boys off to Sahrani with the wrong camo?

man, you don't even know what you want icon_rolleyes.gif . you say you want ACUs, but in the next line you talk about MARPAT. you DO realize that those are different patterns for different branches, right? whistle.gif

since the guys in ArmA are Army, they are using the correct camo (ACU). what is your point anyway? icon_rolleyes.gif

they are not Army!

they are Marmy!

Marines + Army = Marmy! biggrin_o.gif

man, you don't even know what you want  icon_rolleyes.gif . you say you want ACUs, but in the next line you talk about MARPAT. you DO realize that those are different patterns for different branches, right?  whistle.gif

since the guys in ArmA are Army, they are using the correct camo (ACU). what is your point anyway?  icon_rolleyes.gif

they are not Army!

they are Marmy!

Marines + Army = Marmy!  biggrin_o.gif

I was wondering that the other day, just what exactly are these units. It seems like some generic blend of Marines and Army.

ACU is  about the most worthless camo available. Its ment for all situations, but matches none. If your wearing uit and end up actually fighting in green enviroments you wight as well be wearing a glowing neon sign saying " please shoot me". Im not just refering to it in game, its truely that awfull in the real world.

Funnily enough a fair few of my US friends who have been and are back out in Iraq indicate the same.

Sounds like a cost cutting exercise to me.