Sign in to follow this  
Sandman

The Olympic Hockey Tournament!

Well, what do U think?

Personally I think USA (if they get Mike Richter in shape) but I hope for Sweden (because I´m Swedish...smile.gif )

Too bad Saku Koivu is out for Finland and Peter Forsberg is out for Sweden, they're good players and would of helped their teams alot.

-=Die Alive=-

LOL

Damn, I forgot to vote the first time when I created the poll...

Damage Inc - I take it U are from Finland then? Otherwise I dont understand your choice tounge.gif Finland was good when Curre Lindstroem (Swedish guy) lead them to the first World Championship gold (was it -98?).

Anyway, the tournament starts for Sweden this night against Canada...they wont stand a chance... smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Feb. 15 2002,14:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Too bad Saku Koivu is out for Finland and Peter Forsberg is out for Sweeden, they're good players and would of helped their teams alot.

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

Thats right, but I think the loss of Saku Koivo is greater for Finland than Forsberg is for Sweden...but I wouldnt mind having him around when the going gets tough.... smile.gif

Yes I bet the Finland flags and the fact that my profile reads "Finland" in Location kind of give that away wink.gif And it was 1995 I still haven't forgotten.

News story:

Sweden to use torpedo at games

(Feb 14) SALT LAKE CITY (CP) - Sweden will launch its torpedo system against Team Canada on Friday, hoping to confuse the Canadians in the Olympic hockey opener for both teams.

The torpedo system, when it works properly, creates odd-man situations for the Swedes in the offensive zone thanks to a high-risk, aggressive forecheck. Three forwards and a defenceman work as a four-man group while the other defenceman stays back to guard the net.

It's nothing you would ever see in the NHL. Read Full Story Here

==================================

So Sweeden has a chance, if they get the "torpedo" going.

-=Die Alive=-

It worked pretty crap in the world championships last year. Finland kicked their asses tounge.gif

The world championship is crap, all the best players are still playing playoff games in the NHL, here at the olympics, all players can play for their nations.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Feb. 15 2002,14:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">News story:

Sweden to use torpedo at games

(Feb 14) SALT LAKE CITY (CP) - Sweden will launch its torpedo system against Team Canada on Friday, hoping to confuse the Canadians in the Olympic hockey opener for both teams.

The torpedo system, when it works properly, creates odd-man situations for the Swedes in the offensive zone thanks to a high-risk, aggressive forecheck. Three forwards and a defenceman work as a four-man group while the other defenceman stays back to guard the net.

It's nothing you would ever see in the NHL. Read Full Story Here

==================================

So Sweeden has a chance, if they get the "torpedo" going.

Thats right...but its not as revolutionary as it says...

In Swedish hockey there have always been a debate about defense/offence. Some say Sweden play to defensive, passing the puck to much and not use their scoring chances like they should. Quite the opposite of Canada. They skate right for the goal, trying to score and use their big players to check as much as possible. This new "torpedo"-system is just a more offensive type of play. What makes it interesting is that Sweden will try to steal the puck from the Canadians in their own "backyard" instead of secure backwards. This is not traditional Swedish playing. We have used this system in the World Championships and it worked out well. However, this is mostly NHL-players (actually, there is 3 domestic players in the team...) and they are not used to this system.

The main things talking for a Swedish win is:

1. The big rink. More ice to skate on.

2. The "red-line-offside" is gone.

3. The Team Effort. Sweden always play as a TEAM.

The main things talking for a Canadian win is:

1. They got world-class players on every position.

2. They have Mario Lemieux smile.gif

3. World-class golies.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Feb. 15 2002,15:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Still, WE won, THEY lost tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Hehe...thats right.

In Sweden we have an old saying. It goes something like this:

-"Finlands course, is our course".

Meaning that we actually cheer for the Finnish team when they play. But this is only true as long as it isnt Sweden they are playing against.

If Sweden was to play 10 games against Finland without NHL-players it would probably be very tight. But with the NHL-players I dont think Finland would stand a chance (yes, yes, I remember World Cup... smile.gif ).

Finland have very talented players, but in this hockey tournament they will be bystanders...but U never know...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sandman @ Feb. 15 2002,08:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The main things talking for a Canadian win is:

3. World-class golies.<span id='postcolor'>

World-class goalies, uh, I don't think so. The starting goalie for Canada today will be C. Joseph, a goalie who never won the stanley cup, and is in the bottom third of all starting goalies in the NHL this year. He can play good one game, and lose the next one just as bad.

One good hip check to Lemieux and he'll be draging his body to the bench, he's not what he used to be, not even half as good as he was last year when he came back from retierment nor as good as when he played in the Canada cup in the late 80s. Sure he can make plays and has experience, but he's an old man and should of been replaced with Joe Thornton (3rd in point in the NHL this season).

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Feb. 15 2002,08:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lemieux is old but not as old as Raimo Helminen who plays for the Finnish team.<span id='postcolor'>

Canada has an older guy than Raimo in Al Macinnis, he was born in 1963, Raimo in 1964. And Lemieux was born in 1965, but was out of hockey for over 3 years with cancer and retierment.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Feb. 15 2002,15:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The main things talking for a Canadian win is:

3. World-class golies.<span id='postcolor'>

World-class goalies, uh, I don't think so.  The starting goalie for Canada today will be C. Joseph, a goalie who never won the stanley cup, and is in the bottom third of all starting goalies in the NHL this year.  He can play good one game, and lose the next one just as bad.

One good hip check to Lemieux and he'll be draging his body to the bench, he's not what he used to be, not even half as good as he was last year when he came back from retierment nor as good as when he played in the Canada cup in the late 80s.  Sure he can make plays and has experience, but he's an old man and should of been replaced with Joe Thornton (3rd in point in the NHL this season).

Curtis Joseph is ranked as a top-10 golie in NHL.

He has a GAA of 2.28 and is 27-17-5 (ranking third) this season so far...U call that bad?!?

Furthermore, he is the internationally most qualified goalie that Canada has (this isnt "the every-day-NHL-games") and should have the routine to adapt better to the different teams that they´ll meet.

And Mario Lemieux - it´s not wise to underestimate SuperMario. Sure, he´s not as good as he once was, not every game, but if he´s in the right mood he´s still one of the best plyers in the world (same as with Jaromir Jagr).

On the Joe Thornton issue we agree - he should have been there, but instead of Joe Nieuwendyk I think...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sandman @ Feb. 15 2002,09:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Curtis Joseph is ranked as a top-10 golie in NHL.

He has a GAA of 2.28 and is 27-17-5 (ranking third) this season so far...U call that bad?!?<span id='postcolor'>

He's in the bottom third in save percentage (but it's still over 90%) And Nikolai Khabibulin has a better GAA than Joseph but Khabibulin plays on a team that can't score and that's why he lost 27 games this season so far. Joseph plays on a team that can win the close games (with Matts Sundin) that's why he's got the 27 wins. Anyways, if you look at Joseph during the playoffs, he's gone on vacation early if his team falls behind quickly. Sure he can win a few rounds, but the longer he plays in the playoff, and the presure is greater, the quicker he implodes. The Canadian 2nd string goalie, Brodeur, is a better "playoff" goalie, or better yet, if they had Roy in nets, (all time winningest goalie in the NHL), he' would be my pick to start in nets for canada.

-=Die Alive=-

LOL!,,

Sweden aims for the gold!,

OMG! 5-1 to Sweden.

SWEEEET!

biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

oh oh,, and it's still 20min left of the match!

Nah,, I don't know about that... Finland usually steals the gold from Sweden, when both of them are in a final... sad.gif

U.S.A.      6     tounge.gif

Finland     0

Talk about an arse whooping!  The Finnish team looked like amateurs tonight....

And how about Sweden kicking the crap out of Team Canada?  Sundin had a great game.  I think the lack of a "2 line pass" rule hurt Canada, especially on Sundin's first goal.

This is shaping up to be a great competition *slobber* *slobber*