Syntax:

unit knowsAbout target

Parameters:

unit: Object or Group

target: Object

Return Value:

Number (from 0 to 4)

1: Group doesn't work, returns error...

2: I can't for the life of me get my enemies to get anything else than 1.5 at night

EastSoldier no NVGoggles, skill 1

WestSoldier has NVGoggles, skill 1

EK = EastSoldier knowsAbout WestSoldier;

WK = WestSoldier knowsAbout EastSoldier;

EastSoldier is also a group leader in example 2-3

night

Example 1:

EK return 1.5 when he has detected WestSoldier.

EK would return like 3-4 when EastSoldier fires his weapon. But no. Instead its 1.5, never does it go like 0.6 or anything else, remains 1.5 even tho he is engaging.

WK returns 0.9 - 2.6 at ~2 he will fire, he will only get 4 when he is fired upon.

i.e. he can fire at an enemy but not have 4...

Day

Example 1:

EK returns 0-1 when he "thinks" something is amiss.

I sneak up on him from behind. when I was 15 or so meters away , EK returned 0.8

I continued forward, 1.5 he kneels down and start scanning the horison, he actually turned to the location where I was at, so just a second later EK turned to 4 and he raised his AK74 at me, however I got him in my sights so I killed him.

Example 2:

Now EastSoldier has a friend.

I snipe his friend from 150 meters, EK returns 1.5

EastSoldier lay down, moving around a bit, I keep hidden.

EK returns to <0 EastSoldier has lost the "knowledge" of me.

Example 3:

Now EastSoldier has two friends.

I snipe his friend from 150 meters, EK returns 1.5

EastSoldier lay down, moving around a bit, I keep hidden.

EK is still 1.5 EastSoldier sends out his #2 and #2 finds me instantly. and he tries to shoot me.

Tried this setting the group leader and #2 200 meters away, and the one to kill near me.

Sure enough, #2 comes to my spot, behind a bush, behind a slope and then he tries to shoot me.

I mean WTF?

And the problem with 1.5

I wanted todo a "stealth meter" thingy, but the whole idea is rendered useless because "knowsAbout" doesn't work for AI w/o NVGoggles at night.

Does anybdoy knows the ArmA knowsAbout magic treshold? (the minimum value to recognize known unit as an enemy)

i think i readed something of 0.6 somewhere, but can't remember atm exact where - i guess at wiki at reveal ?

Edith says: Ah no was 0.7 but at Cold War Crisis, ignore it smile_o.gif

Suma said that knowsabout shows only rough estimate, game and AI uses either more complex or precise values (don't remember which one of these). Maybe knowsabout is calculated only from some parts of AI's overall knowledge?

But i don't know does NVGs have anykind effect for AI's spotting ability... Seems like that. But i'm havent tested it so my opinnion bases on gut-feeling.

Suma said that knowsabout shows only rough estimate, game and AI uses either more complex or precise values (don't remember which one of these).

Ok.

Maybe knowsabout is calculated only from some parts of AI's overall knowledge?

Perhaps, we mere mortals will maybe be enlightened some day.

But i don't know does NVGs have anykind effect for AI's spotting ability... Seems like that. But i'm havent tested it so my opinnion bases on gut-feeling.

The NVGs should imho.

But, when they don't have any NVGs they just run towards you and kills you.

Its not that you could see anything in the dark, because

1: its dark

2: see 1

crazy_o.gif

I was planning of doing a mission where you are to get into some place and "steal" some stuff, and get out from there without being detected.

You were to be armed with a MP5SD and or M9SD to protect yourself, or murder some lone soldier that comes in your way.

However, with this "knowsAbout" thingy I mentioned in my first post.

If I kill him, the others "knowsAbout" will be 1.5

Did they see me?

No!

Will they find my position and kill me?

Yes, if they are in a group with the murdered soldier!

Most likely if they are not grouped with him as well.

But still, its nothing that could be measured.

I read some thread here 1.2 million years ago some way to check if a units "combat mode" or "engaging" has changed, I guess I'll have a closer look into that.

If someone happens to have that thread nearby, stored either in your bookmarks or in your brain, it would be appreciated if you told me where to find it smile_o.gif

Does anybdoy knows the ArmA knowsAbout magic treshold? (the minimum value to recognize known unit as an enemy)

It depends on the type of unit that is known (at least in OFP), although there is probably a single value for man units.

ok I've done some more testing.

file removed, the camera script made one sea sick.

Arma v.1.08

Download, run.

command halt, engage at will, stay crouched on your 2 AI dudes.

Kill one of the enemies north of the building you have in front of you, and sneak back behind the building, and just watch.

UKA = Unit knows about

GKA = Group knows about

TAR = Target.

When they have a target acquired, the cam will start following the unit who has you as the target.

Now, do not ask me when the AI in this game got a masters degree in forensics and could determine angel of impact and stuff like that to find out that it was actually you who fired the shot. But they can.

UKA and GKA will not go above 1.5, even if its day or night.

But still they can "target that man"

Most of the times they just run to where you are, then is when your two AI's take over and gun them down.

Even if you switch form SD weapons to full auto "bang bang" guns it wouldn't affect anything.

[edit inner]None of them has NVG's they are removed by a trigger, I forgot all about that one.

[/edit inner]

I'm still having tremendous problems with my own NVGs as they are getting blinded by stuff they aren't supposed to get blinded by. This applies to aircrafts too, where the aircrafts displays are to bright and blinds you...

Anyways, back on to this topic.

It doesn't change if you place your group on one of the nearby hills about 250+ meters away, and enter the player char as an sniper and take one of them out by "one shot one kill", and afterwards hurry behind the slope on the opposite side.

They still just will "target/engage that man".

Sure I can agree on they knowing about you as an enemy or really large mosquito, I mean, one of their group members just died. But, how can they know I fired the shot?

Script details: "checkers.sqf"

un-comment:

//camUseNVG <boolean>; - if you switch to night.

//_c = "camera" camCreate getPos _unit; - if you want to "chase cam the unit, remember to comment the row under if you do.

i.e.

_c = "camera" camCreate [(getPos player....

Sure I can agree on they knowing about you as an enemy or really large mosquito, I mean, one of their group members just died. But, how can they know I fired the shot?

Because "as is" the AI have uber-triangualtion capabilities and will pinpoint your location within centimeters by ears alone.

Check this thread for more info One tweak that will change alot

Really hope BIS will do something about this in the next patch!

/KC