Sign in to follow this  
Gargantou

Question from an aspiring moviemaker!

Hello, I was wondering, is it possible to force ArmA to output 'movies' rendering frame-by-frame like some older games that feature DEMO recording possibilities(HL2 for example), so that I could get the game to render/output 30 image files per 'second' for importnig into one of my movie-making programs for later re-encoding? Some older games allow for this which back in the day let you thus do game movies at maxed resolutions even if you couldn't get a stable framerate to PLAY them at, as the game rendered each FRAME in SEQUENCE, much like a CG renderer?

Any answer to this would be highly appreciated!

I've tried recording my cutscenes with FRAPS with latest 1.07 patch and it rapes my computer to butthell!

My specifications are a Core 2 Duo E6600 OCed to approx 3.0 GHz, 2 gigs of high-end(6xxx something) 800Mhz RAM and a semi-aged OCed 7900GS from XFX..

Yet again, any helpful tips are highly welcomed!

//Gargantou

Well, one thing you could give a try is recording it while the game runs in slow motion using the setAccTime command and accelerate the result back to normal speed using whatever program could be used for this (didn't make movies myself so far). Good camera movement could be a bit tricky if you're not using scripts for this.

Of course the sound could be a problem too, as the samples play in normal speed, but a timedemo mode, if there is any, would probably mess it up too anyway. But judging from your post you probably figured that yourself anyway.

I think Dslyecxi did this video using this method.

Another way you could capture what's on screen is by out-putting the image via S-video cable frm ur gfx card to a DV camera.

I'm not sure if this will apply to all DV cameras but i had to play at 1024x768 resolution in order to not have clipping on the tape. Not sure if this would be the same on a HDV camera though.

Remember that whatever is ocming into the camera now is only video. You'll need to hook up an audio track to the camera as well. How i'd do it is by running a cable from my audio card, convert it to and RCA head so that it could feed into the camera.

There are other ways like using two computers and a firewire but i havent tried that.

Good luck in your journey! I myself am a film student. The subject and technology is interestingly mind-boggling.

Don't know if this would help you, but have you tried Gamecam? It's like fraps, but it's more for videos.

I have the same problem with fraps even on a ~high~ end PC - my frames drop right down. (2x GF7950GT 512mb SLI, 2GB Corsair II, Core 2 Duo E6700 2.6Ghz)

With Gamecam, my fps hardly drops at all - give it a try and see how it works for you smile_o.gif

does anyone know how Dslyecxi made this shaking camera in the air behind the A10 at the end of the movie ?

Quote[/b] ]does anyone know how Dslyecxi made this shaking camera in the air behind the A10 at the end of the movie ?

You can either shake it real time by randomizing the camera's position some through scripting, or it can be done post-processing. Sony Vegas for instance will let you shake a video by cropping a bit the edges off (maybe 5-20 pixels on each axis), and then shaking the picture in and out of the cropped off pixels. You lose a small bit of the image but it's usually nothing to worry about, and the benefits are great as it's much easier to control the strength of the shake.

Quote[/b] ]does anyone know how Dslyecxi made this shaking camera in the air behind the A10 at the end of the movie ?

You can either shake it real time by randomizing the camera's position some through scripting, or it can be done post-processing. Sony Vegas for instance will let you shake a video by cropping a bit the edges off (maybe 5-20 pixels on each axis), and then shaking the picture in and out of the cropped off pixels. You lose a small bit of the image but it's usually nothing to worry about, and the benefits are great as it's much easier to control the strength of the shake.

Or you can just do it the simple way and shake your mouse. tounge2.gif

yeah, can do this on the ground but in the air ? were you in a plane behind it and did you used track ir ? NIN rocks !!!