Sign in to follow this  
zwobot

Virtualization

Has anyone successfully run Operation flashpoint in a virtual machine with Vmware or Virtual PC yet?

Both products are downloadable for free and support 3d applications to a certain degree, but I haven't managed to get Ofp working on neither of the two.

A virtual machine would be a optimal for testing multiplayer missions/scripts on your local PC.

You can run multiple instances of ofp and a deddy too if you want to on a single machine without any extra software. For best performance isolate the part you are testing and run it on desert island with only neccessary AI etc.

So I can start Ofp twice or more on a local PC and join the two instances in a multiplayer game?

Or do you mean I setup a dedicated server in a virtual machine and then start two Ofp instances which I connect with the dedicated server?

Have to try that out...

You can run multiple instances of ofp and a deddy too if you want to on a single machine without any extra software. For best performance isolate the part you are testing and run it on desert island with only neccessary AI etc.

Ahem... I shudder to think of how that would actually play, taking into consideration OFP's hardware hunger... crazy_o.gif

Well, don't take my word for it. I do this every now and then and it works just fine.

I heard DX support in both VirtualPC and VMWare was slim to none. A full virtualization like Xen could possibly provide a better path, but I've heard some bad numbers about the ramifications of it's deep abstraction lately.

This might work for dedicated servers though, you might be able to run multiple low-end dedicated servers and Teamspeak or ventrilo servers aimed at separate network cards.

Well I would not need Ventrilo or Teamspeak for testing MP stuff locally.

The suggestion to have multiple instances of Ofp running on the same PC works fine for me. And performance is not a big issue as I don't want to do stress tests of my mission but to have a look wether my scripts work correctly or not.

I haven't tried the dedicated server in the virtual machine connected with 2 or more Ofp instances on the host machine but I think it would work too.

I heard DX support in both VirtualPC and VMWare was slim to none.

Cant OFP be run in another graphics rendering engine like Glide or OpenGL?

OFP can run in Glide, but unfortunately there is no support of OpenGL.

The issue is that the virtual host provides an abstracted software virtual device, then guesstimates it's way through. For the server version of Virtual PC, that's a software emulation of an S3 Trio/64. VMware claims to have some software support for portions of Dx8, but that again is rendered in software, not in hardware, and they don't have any OpenGL support.

Additionally, Virtual PC 2007 allows you to run Vista in a session on XP, but you don't get any DX10 capability. I couldn't find if it supported DX9, but since it wouldn't make sense to do pass-through calls I suppose it would be software only.

I think OFP uses also directinput and directsound so OpenGL support would only go so far anyways (it's just a gfx API).