Sign in to follow this  
vipermanden

Helicopter Fast landing

Hi all, I´m making a mission were a littlebird shall land and deploy troops in a city on the street, and I made it fly low (h1 flyinheight 10) but here is my problem, before insertion the helicopter goes up in height before landing and exposes itself. Is there a way or command to make it flyinheight 10 and keep that level and just land fast?

Probably should be in scripting/editing, but meh. That's what Mod's are for biggrin_o.gif

You've got the perenial problem with choppers and the land command.

I've been playing about with a loop decreasing the fly in height number in order to land the chopper. Only problem I have is that the chopper doesn't seem to move exactly to my marker position, but if you were using it triggered from a waypoint, you'd probably be ok. This way completely removes the need for a Land command, or helipad. Basically you fool the chopper into hitting the ground. Obviously you want to do it nice and steady. I've got a much higher starting height so I have to program a kind of "Flare" before it hits the ground.

Something like

_choppername=_this select 0

_flyinheight=10 \\This is the normal flying height

_flyDwn=1 \\This is the increment you want to use to descent. Larger=Faster descent.

#Landing

?(_flyinheight==0):Exit

_flyinheight=_flyinheight-flydown

_choppername flyinheight _flyinheight

~0.1

goto "Landing"

Obviously you'd need to think about how it'd take off again, but that's not what you asked

biggrin_o.gif

Hope that helps.

I've found that the AI pilots seem to ignore the FLYINHEIGHT as they go to land ...... sad_o.gif

They fly high just as they are about to land.

Could be some other factors of course .....

You´re right Gnat. I guess the "landing" sends them on some kind of pattern as it is with waypoints. Whenever you have several waypoints and use the flyinheight command the helo goes up at the waypoint and dives back to desired height afterwards.

So either it´s that the WP sends it to a height automatically or the process to reduce speed sends it up in the sky. Even when the helo is set to speedmode slow it will go up significantly to either reduce speed or because the WP command does make him do that.

Apart from that it looks very odd when you have a helo-route by waypoints and every time it reaches a waypoint the AI seems to need to have a "think-break" and moves up in the sky before diving to the next waypoint. Maybe precalculating the route by given WP´s and height settings would help solving this. Right now it looks like the AI only thinks from one waypoint to another and does not think beyond this point unless it´s there. That´s why we see that weird wavy flightpaths.