Sign in to follow this  
johnwilso007

Leser Designator

if i play with the SF Recon unit in game he has a laster designator, have any missions already been made with this included and if not how can it be used in missions. I assume its for designating Arial attacks so how would i set it up?

Set up a mission where you have a harrier loaded with GBUs in your squad. Aim the laser at something, anything, and he'll call out the laser. Tell him to target it and fire. Wait about a min for him to set up the attack and boom! Remember to keep painting the target.

It works nicely this way, and you can level any building you want with it.

What I'm trying to figure out now is how to get the AI to use it... whistle.gif

cool ill give it a go now, does the harrier have to be in your group or can the support waypoint be used?

If you give the AI the marker then he will automatically point it at enemy armor. Fly over it and press the target key, then swing back around and fire. As far as I know, it's more accurate to fire when the diamond is inside the target square.

While the bombs are much stronger, it's harder to get the diamond to appear. The missiles are much more flexible and forgiving.

While the bombs are much stronger, it's harder to get the diamond to appear. The missiles are much more flexible and forgiving.

But missiles in harrier are actually IR air-to-air missiles, AIM-9 type. I think no one would use them irl against ground targets. crazy_o.gif

But missiles in harrier are actually IR air-to-air missiles, AIM-9 type. I think no one would use them irl against ground targets.  crazy_o.gif

I guess that's true, but the are still easier to hit the target with. biggrin_o.gif

what? heat tracking missile track IR creat by heat, and are totally different things then an IR laser! confused_o.gif

Yep. And AIM-9 are air to air, so would not scratch the paint from a tank's armour. These are designed for soft targets, i.e. planes...