Sign in to follow this  
JagdPanther101

DIRECT HIT- campaign side mission

Hey guys,

I just got the U.S. version Wednesday and so far I'm slightly disappointed in some aspects of the game (in comparision to my expectations, having been a huge OFP fan), but I'm pushing forward.

I started the campaign and I've done the first mission and one of the two first side missions (the one where you go to the top of a water tower and snipe a column of troops.... Hated that mission).

The second side mission is called "Direct Hit" and it's a night mission where you have to destroy 4 pieces of armor (2 Shilkas and 2 BMPs) in a tank park, and have the option of getting secret documents at another base. I tried and tried and tried the mission and continuously failed. It was really annyoing. First I tried to sneak to a Shilka and man it; failure. Are these things already manned? It'd be nice to hijack one... If I could get close enough. Then I tried to eliminate the troops and bomb/rocket the vehicles in peace; no dice there, either.

Mostly I tried to go to the 2nd base first and sneak in, but that was just ridiculous. I'm not going to get into the problems I feel exist with the AI's recognition of the player (and how cheap it is), but I just could not get anywhere near that base without being seen by non-NVG-wearing troops in the pitch-black (speaking of which, have you noticed that when you save or load that it's bright as noon out? The night disappears. Are these enemies seeing day time or night time? confused_o.gif ).

Usually I approached with the helicopter to my front-right and a mounted-MG to my front-left. I'd shoot the mounted-MG gunner and approach his position by crawl. I'd always been seen by the troops near the chopper and shot. Quite annoying. I tried a few times to approach from a different direction, completely blocked from the view of the troops by the chopper, shoot the mounted-MG gunner, get behind the tents near him, and then proceed to be shot by the troops near the chopper who somehow saw me through the tents in the pitch-black.

I don't even know where the stupid documents are!

So...

1. Any suggestions on getting into this base quietly, getting the documents, and getting out?

2. Can you even do this 2nd base first?

3. If not, how do you suggest I go about this mission?

I did, in fact, complete the mission but without getting the documents. I hit one of the ammo dumps inbetween the two bases and acquired a 4th M-136 round. Then I approached the 1st base from between two high hills, eliminated a guard at the barbed wire, then climbed the hill to the right. I quickly unloaded the 4 M-136 rounds into the camp and destroyed the 4 armor pieces, then ran like heck to the extraction point.

But I really wanna get those documents, for whatever help they provide (or even if they don't) in the campaign.

Thanks!

atleast you have beaten that part of the mission. I snuck down to the first tank and placed the satchel charge. then i crawled back to the top of the hill. I shot the tank on the far right with the M136 and blew the satchel in one step. I am immedietly noticed and shot. I have tried a few different ways.. but i am noticed by the non-nvg wearing troops over and over.

edit: i blew up the tanks.. just cant seem to get that document. i gave up on it.

I remember this one. Most people took the easy route and went left up to the top camp where the documents are. Shoot all the men and you'll get the documents as long as you've gone to the HQ in the camp. Then steel the nice big helicopter and shoot everything. Land it at your extraction point.

It is possible to do the other version. There's been a previous post on this mission, i think it was called something else like AT Saboteur.

I remember this one. Most people took the easy route and went left up to the top camp where the documents are. Shoot all the men and you'll get the documents as long as you've gone to the HQ in the camp.

I managed to snipe all the guards and MG gunners in camp two and in the two ammo camps, but I've looked in all tents and crates several times and I can't find those documents anywhere. On the ground there's a small transistor radio, but I can't interact with it. What exactly do you mean by the Head Quarter in the camp? I've been everywhere in that camp and even on the farms around it. So any precise help would be very welcome.

To get the secret documents I merely ran around the camp, in particular the tent in the middle. You don't "find" the documents as such, you just get the mission completed part once you've been

there.

Check your mission screen to see if it's marked as completed. I doubt you've even got to kill all the guards, just get to the middle of the camp.

@JagdPanther101

You should have played this mission with the 1.01-version.

I tell you, THAT was annoying.

biggrin_o.gif

Hi All

I beat the original version without a silenced weapon 2nd or 3rd time of trying by not shooting the rifle and reloading the AT in cover and rehearsing your AT shots 3 times before doing it for real. The other thing is not to have a camouflage busting straight pole of an AT launcher sticking out of your back like flag saying "Here he is, the numpty!", when you are trying to sneak up on the shilka to plant the charge or in to the 2nd base to steal the documents.

With silenced weapon you just kill everyone at the 2nd base, so it is much easier now. If you want to make it hard core for your self give your self an un-silenced weapon and try to complete it.

Kind Regards walker

The other thing is not to have a camouflage busting straight pole of an AT launcher sticking out of your back like flag saying "Here he is, the numpty!", when you are trying to sneak up on the shilka to plant the charge or in to the 2nd base to steal the documents.

Is that actually necessary? I managed to sneak all the way up to the BMP to plant a satchel go round back to the shilka, then back up the hill with nobody noticing on Vet difficulty. Does the launcher actually make it easier for the AI to see you?

The other thing is not to have a camouflage busting straight pole of an AT launcher sticking out of your back like flag saying "Here he is, the numpty!", when you are trying to sneak up on the shilka to plant the charge or in to the 2nd base to steal the documents.

Is that actually necessary? I managed to sneak all the way up to the BMP to plant a satchel go round back to the shilka, then back up the hill with nobody noticing on Vet difficulty. Does the launcher actually make it easier for the AI to see you?

I doubt it. They can already see easily enough. -_-;

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll try this.

So i stole the helo for this misson, but i cant target the bmps and the tanks at he camp with the helo, am i doing something wrong?

So i stole the helo for this misson, but i cant target the bmps and the tanks at he camp with the helo, am i doing something wrong?

I believe it's because you cannot target unmanned vehicles. You'll have to do it without the target signs.

Okay, I finally did it getting the documents. I got those first, then hit the camp with AT-4s, then went back and stole the chopper (yeah, could've done that earlier. lol), and flew to extraction (since apparently my extraction boat got destroyed).

Another question:

Do the documents actually do anything? Like, do they give you some important information during the next mission (Beaten Dog)?

Also, should the information at the bottom of Beaten Dog change if I do a Side Mission? For Beaten Dog it still says, "-The enemy will have more units at their disposal." Should it still say that?

It says that to me too even after I finished the side mission.

That is something that buggers me too...any answers?

The quickest way I found to finish this is to actually storm the armoured targets with the helo, after you stole it of course, and after you found the documents.