Sign in to follow this  
greenthumb79

Playing OFP without CD possible?

Hello all, I am new here smile_o.gif

Here's the deal:

Years ago I played OFP and I liked it a lot. I think I had a pirate copy, not sure anymore, sorry about that but I was young and broke and you know the story smile_o.gif

Anyway, about two weeks ago I ordered an original copy of OFP GOTY. One week ago my CD ROM died. I got the game 2 days ago, and the notebook repairman told me he has to wait for some part (cd controller or something) because he's out of stock. He'll get the part in about a month, since it's an old notebook.

Anyway, can I install and play the game using an image drive? Do I have to have the CD in the comp in order to play the game? Will I need to use some crack in order to run the game from an image drive instead of a CD?

Since I have an original copy now, will I be able to connect to a legal server if I am using a image drive instead of the CD?

Thanks for the replies,peeps, looking forward to play the game once again in hi-res with all effects enabled (i played it on a crappy comp before with low-graphics) and kicking some Russkie butt

Cheers!

Well, in order to upgrade it I will need to install it first, and since my CD drive is broken...

That is why I am asking about all this "image drive" stuff, since I have to find a way to install and play the game without the CD for now, and dont know if it will be possible with image drives.

Anyway, I gave the CD to a friend who will try and make image drives of the CD's in the GOTY box, so I will try installing it later tonight.

Any advice is still welcome.

Oh, sorry I didn't notice you actually said your CD drive broke before you got OFP.

One possibility: can you temporarily attach an external CD drive to your laptop? You could then install OFP, patch it to 1.96 and you wouldn't need the CD drive after that.

Another possibility would be to take the hard disk drive out of your laptop, attach it to some other computer, install OFP & patch to 1.96, then put the hard disk drive back to your own laptop. This is for sure not going to be as easy as the first possibility and can actually have problems like your laptop's operating system and the hardware on the other computer not playing well together.

I can't comment on making images out of the original CD's.

Take your friends CD Drive out and install it on yours, install the game patch it then give it him back ... only takes a few minutes to take a CD drive apart if you can live with the hassle of wires crazy_o.gif

the problem is I have a laptop while he has a normal PC, we can't install his CD drive in my laptop sad_o.gif

I also have no external CD drive available, would it be possible for example to connect my laptop to someone's computer over a network, start the installation from his CD ROM with my hard disk as installation target? Would the game work on my laptop that way?

P.S. Would creating an image drive out of OFP CD's in order to install the game and play it be considered illegal?

I dont think there should be a problem in using a downloaded Img or Iso file aslong as you already own a copy of the game and install the game with Your Origional cd-key, this should stop fade activating aslong as you do have an original copy. Of course the game will not work without the CD in unless you patch up to 1.96, do not use an illeagle crack as i believe it could activate fade. I wouldn't recommend this though its a misty area to tread in, probably best just waiting until your computer CD drives properly fixed.

oh, sweet! so with this patch 1.96 the game wont require a CD in the tray to play? wheeeeeeeeeeee, I'll try installing tonight and report if I encounter any problems

Easiest would be to connect to a network that has a shared cd/dvd-ROM drive and install it from there, as long as the cd-key is unique it won't matter, and after you've patched to 1.96 you won't need the cd in the drive anymore.

Ok, my friend took the CD's, made images of them, i copied it from his iPod and installed the game using Deamon tools. Then i downloaded and installed the 1.96 patch and can run the game without the CD, so it worked. Thanks for the advice.