Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Help! Modem woes!

Ok, I've had my new kick-arse PC for a while now, but I couldn't go online with it so far. Now I finally purchased a modem (shitty Å25 one from Dixons...PCLine I think) but it won't connect! It says "No Dial Tone" found.

I am running Windows XP.

I am using the WinXP drivers (CD doesn't have any)

I tried both enabling and disabling the "waiting for dial tone" feature

I tried putting the calling card details into the "calling rules" section, but that didn't help either.

No conflict reported by Windows, BUT it is on COM 3, but COM 3 is not listed in the Device Manager confused.gif

It went to COM 4 when I changed the PCI slot, but still nothing happens confused.gif

I assigned COM 1 and 2 to it, to no avail sad.gif

Cable and installation of modem are all ok.

Call details are all ok.

Any suggestions sad.gif ?

This is why I don't use windows xp it don't like any of my modems I have three modems it does not run with one it does not even no it's there and the other two are a similar problem to yours XP knows their there but they won't dial up. sad.gif

Back in the day when I had a crappy modem I had this trouble alot.

I'm not a hardware guru but I found that it usually only works in COM1 and COM2. Also (this will sound REALLY stupid), I've found that sometimes just changing the slot its in will eliviate the problem. Then when you reboot it will assign the proper COM. Sometimes a slot my have an IRQ setting that doesn't jive with COM1 or COM2 settings.

Also make sure you got the phone cords plugged in right biggrin.gif

Phone cords are plugged in fine, also changed the PCI slot, changed COM port too.

I didn't try changing COM port AFTER re-slotting it though, I'll try that as well.

Cheers for that, fellas smile.gif

Any more ideas?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Feb. 11 2002,22:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Phone cords are plugged in fine, also changed the PCI slot, changed COM port too.

I didn't try changing COM port AFTER re-slotting it though, I'll try that as well.

Any more ideas?<span id='postcolor'>

Oh yeah....I'm sure you know this but just in case...

Make sure you remove the modem from the Device Manager list (or uninstall...forgot what the option was in XP).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Feb. 11 2002,22:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Phone cords are plugged in fine, also changed the PCI slot, changed COM port too.

Any more ideas?<span id='postcolor'>

Oh yeah....I'm sure you know this but just in case...

Make sure you remove the modem from the Device Manager list (or uninstall...forgot what the option was in XP).<span id='postcolor'>

I thought its doing that automatically wow.gif

/me slaps himself

blast, didn't work again!

ok, i had it in every single PCI slot there is, and the bastardy thing still isnt working!

need some help guys!!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Feb. 12 2002,13:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">blast, didn't work again!

ok, i had it in every single PCI slot there is, and the bastardy thing still isnt working!

need some help guys!!!<span id='postcolor'>

ask dixons smile.gif

possable help:

A:plug the plug your trying to hook the modem up to into a phone and test to make sure the cord and line is good.

B: make sure yer plugging it into the right port on the modem.. most have 2, one going in one coming out.

C: make sure you set up dial up networking.

D: make sure you dont have it disabled under device manager

F: make sure you have the driver signing set in XP.. I,E, XP can be set so that if a driver that is not certivied by MS tried to get installed it wont let it.. make sure you disable this.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ Feb. 12 2002,13:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">possable help:

A:plug the plug your trying to hook the modem up to into a phone and test to make sure the cord and line is good.

the cord and line are both good, i tried 3 different cables, none worked. the line is ok

B: make sure yer plugging it into the right port on the modem.. most have 2, one going in one coming out.

i only have one

did that

it aint

F: make sure you have the driver signing set in XP.. I,E, XP can be set so that if a driver that is not certivied by MS tried to get installed it wont let it.. make sure you disable this.

i am using xp drivers<span id='postcolor'>

anyone else sad.gif

suggestion to ask dixons is a winnar so far sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Feb. 12 2002,14:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">possable help:

the cord and line are both good, i tried 3 different cables, none worked. the line is ok

i only have one

did that

it aint

i am using xp drivers<span id='postcolor'>

anyone else sad.gif

suggestion to ask dixons is a winnar so far sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

tounge.gif @ everyone else

not stating the obvious but u have made sure that the phone line is all plugged up properly etc only time i get no dial tone is 1) when i got a message left of phone and its an intermittent beep when i lift phone receiver 2) when i have the wrong phone extension in.

obvious but better checkn =]]

Try to find windows 2000 drivers for your modem they might work better than the XP fodder.

In my case phone line fine works with old modem but both new modems don't work with XP sad.gif

nope, none of that worked mad.gif

thanks for ur efforts folks, but the darned thing is going back tomorrow. ill get the sligthly more expensive diamond one