Sign in to follow this  
SlurrpyChillyFries

TrackIr enhancement called priceless

i know its way too late to work into arma but for the next installment of this whip @55 game, could it be possible to have a small dot in the middle of the view which acts upon track ir input not mouse input? this would be benificial for ppl getting used to the track ir (as sometimes you slightly lean to one side and loose momentum) and it would possibly allow someone to look to their left (any direction), place the dot on a person/target to reveal the same information as placing your crosshairs on a target?

i really like being able to look around while not impacting the player's momentum but really annoying that i cant see the name on a friendly while running in a direction and looking in a different direction.

am i pumping a dry well here?

dang it!!!! i posted this to the wrong forum...admin, could you move this for me?

I bought trackir just for this game and must admit i dont use it anymore. I find it difficult to use. when i spot an enemy i find it difficult keeping my head still while trying to centre the riffle on him. I end up looking to see where my riffle crosshair is and of course that means i have moved my head. I do like to use it in helicopters though. As for leaning round corners, its just not good for the real human shoulders that are leaning. I started to ache after about 1 hour, but i also found the leaning hard to achive in one smooth movment.

1. lots of practice

2. your using muscles your not usually using.

3. give it time.

by no means am i trying to be insultive. most people stop using track-IR because they give themselves a crutch in game ..keybindings and such...when they feel uncomfortable with the learning curve of track-IR, they start using the keystrokes, mouse input or what have you.

if you FORCE yourself to use track-IR for one week..you wont ever go back! everything is scalable to your freedom of movement to in game movement. moves roo much? scale it down, too little, scale it up. work with TINY increments when doin the profile.

EVERYBODY gets the same thing "oh my god, IM SO DIZZY from in game head movment..from real life tiny body movements!"

in time you'll - 1. learn to deal with the minor movement, 2 subconciously learn to move much less!

you'll get the hang of it smile_o.gif

i had these same problems.... but this is what i did and it really helps.

at least with tft's a problem can be as your moving your head the view shifts a little bit at a time which causes blurring and makes it hard to spot people. Also, the leaning makes you slow down....

what i did is pretty simple, i went into the acceleration curve editer for trackir and made it look like this....

khggghqg5.th.jpg

edit: by the way, thats the middle dot on the left, as i only move half the dots and let it mirror them to the other side

(the lows should be 0, first high about 8, second about 10-12)(sorry i cant just screenshot, i'm at work).

What this does is give you two solid views, one about 45 degrees and the other about 110 degrees. copy the values to all axis, and what it does is stop the annoying problem of trying to keep your head still to look at stuff.

i leave the middle 3 dots at 0 to give a deadspace on the axis, which helps when aiming and stops you leaning a little and slowing down when running.

also, i have the button to toggle trackir on/off on the the side of my mouse so i can just toggle it off when it gets annoying, or when i dont feel it's useful at that moment.

this works a treat for me, give it a try maybe.

as stated, give it time, it will become the most invaluable resource you can have in the game.

as far as the acceleration curves go, i usually slam the first 3 dots onto the bottom to create a large dead zone. this has helped my firefights alot as i sometimes twitch my neck when the firefight causes me to get nervous (from the chaos).

but how do yall fell about my suggestion, im really curious about the feature of being able to id a target by looking at it, without having to mouse over...do yall feel it would work or create too much clutter.

the most powerful feature....when you look over your shoulder, you spot an enemy, and you slide your mouse around while slowly turning your head back so that the enemy never leaves your view, then you can draw your bead much faster with out having the disorientation of loosing your target and having to reacquire it again.

thanx trackir, i thought it was a gimic, and my friends used to until after a month's worth of playing...i have spotted so many flanks in the heat of battle they had no idea were coming...now they own trackirs.

I second the need to be able to use your 'eyes' as the focus rather than the rifle crosshair.

I want to be able to look away from my ironsights and see an object and know what it is without having to move my sights over it.

It's almost common sense that it would work more like that than it does at present that I'm surprised that it doesnt work like I'd expect.

I've been using trackir for about 4 years or so, mostly in IL-2, I have Tir3Pro+6Dof.

When I started to play ArmA, using TIR was natural, no problems with sights at all, only bad thing in it is that now I would like to have it in all first person shooters smile_o.gif

My axis values in TIR:

Yaw: 0,7,8,11,15,18,18,18

Pitch: 0,2,8,11,15,18,18,18

Roll: 0,3,10,15,23,27,27,27 (I use this for leaning instead of X Axis)

Other axis not in use.

Those might need some tuning but I'm too lazy to do anything smile_o.gif

BIS should add some kind of eye-fatique if you look through your ironsights too long, atleast for me if shooting, say 150m/10 rounds and I try to do it as well as possible, I need to focus my eyes to horizon after a few shots for a moment. And this is IRL.

I totaly agree. Im using TrackIR all the time and i love to be able to move the head of the soldier.

To be able to aquire targets or give orders to your soldiers with the TrackIR would be the most correct use for the hardware.

I hope it will happend.