Sign in to follow this  
Warpy

ati3duag.dll fix

Greetings,

Now some of you may have been experiencing the following error with Arma:

The game loads and you start a mission, during the mission you might get into a vehicle or press "M" to display the map and the sound locks up then your PC produces the following screen or reboots.. banghead.gif

Here is the error:

204896d8.jpg

Here is the fix: yay.gif

c97ec0c5.jpg

Make sure you disable Catalyst A.I

Note this is not an Armed Assault coding problem but inflicted through the ATI driver sets and this lies with ATI to fix. I have tested this on Catalyst 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 and all produce the same error.

Hope this helps you guys and gals. smile_o.gif

And what does this "catalyst A.I" do?

From the mouth of Veridian3:

For those of you interested in specifics, Catalyst AI uses ATI's Texture Analyzer technology (R9600 Series and R4xx series) to optimize performance in any Game/3D application. What about support for older boards? Ati have responded with the following: "We fully support CATALYST A.I. on all R3XX hardware. In fact the R3XX series of products will see an even larger performance boost in Doom 3 than the RADEON X series of products."

ATI believe that whilst doing this they maintain the correct image quality and in some cases can even improve IQ. Cat AI does this by analyzing individual textures as they are loaded in order to choose the best and fastest way for them to be displayed. Settings available to the user are Off, Standard and Advanced. By default the drivers are set to Standard. In most cases Standard should be sufficient as it uses less CPU overhead than Advanced and its up to the end user to decide which option works best on their system in each particular game or application. There should be no IQ difference between the two settings however in games where there are frequent texture loads or when using a slower system the extra computations may cancel out the performance increases gained by using the Advanced algorithm.

Catalyst AI In depth with screen-shot comparisons

EDIT: Another in depth review of Catalyst A.I

thanks for the fast reply there!

So if I`m having an X800 Pro then i can turn this of then?

thanks for the fast reply there!

So if I`m having an X800 Pro then i can turn this of then?

Yup, with Arma it seems to cause more trouble than other games I have tested. In games like Unreal Tournament 2004 and Doom 3 it has significant performance increase.

Never had that BSOD myself, and I always have A.I. on. The crashes I've had were just back to the desktop and I strongly suspect the handle problem to be the culprit. When I checked yesterday after about an hour or two of MP, my handles were up to 125.000!! This is with the 7.3 driver I installed a couple of days ago so today I'm gonna reinstall the 6.7 driver. ArmA never crashed with this one and my handles stay in the 200-300 range.

X1900XT (512MB)

Never had that BSOD myself, and I always have A.I. on. The crashes I've had were just back to the desktop and I strongly suspect the handle problem to be the culprit. When I checked yesterday after about an hour or two of MP, my handles were up to 125.000!! This is with the 7.3 driver I installed a couple of days ago so today I'm gonna reinstall the 6.7 driver. ArmA never crashed with this one and my handles stay in the 200-300 range.

X1900XT (512MB)

Do me a favor and set Catalyst A.I to high it's set to normal by default, which doesn't generate the BSOD but does cause the Map to lag when accessing it.

Test it and let me know how you go thumbs-up.gif

Uhh i had this problem before in 1.05 with texture detail normal or higher. Now it doesnt seem so bad in the beta patch..

But i had catalyst AI disabled also, so it isnt a fix. The resources get drained (my VIA RAID tool reports there are insufficient resources) then the computer crashes, restarts and that message appears. I found that if i increased the page file, the game would play for longer before crashing..

Well the ati3duag.dll has nothing to do with a page file. If I set my Catalyst A.I to high it will blue screen within 3mins - my page file is 4096MB.

You say you had Catalyst disabled when you had your problems... but was it related to ati3duag.dll, do you have a screenie for us?

I have confirmed this problem on four separate machines. I think your issue was related to something else. Your suggesting it's an Arma issue since you noted it doesn't happen in the BETA patch.

I have this problem too. I have a Radeon X1600 with 512mb of memory. I have rolled my drivers back to 6.7 and I have disabled catalyst A.I.

But I still get the Blue Screen Of Death!

I have had constant BSoD in ArmA (and many other new games - but not all!) after about 15 mins of play, ever since upgrading my video card from a 9600XT to a X1950 Pro. I tried every damn thing I could think of to fix it (changing all possible drivers, changing all AGP BIOS settings, underclocking, etc), and only just think I may have found a solution to it now (several hours of MP with no crash). As unlikely as it sounds, the BSoDs are apparently caused by a couple of faulty Windows reverb dlls (my BSoDs were always accompanied by looping ArmA + screechy sounds)!! How the change of video card provoked these crashes I don't know. Installing these two windows "HotFixes" seems to have stopped the BSoDs. This solution may be specific to the combination of ATI video card and a Sound Blaster Audigy, since both I and this the guy who found this solution have the same hardware. None the less, it may be worth a try for anyone who gets this bug.

Take a look here: The Solution

My system :

P4 northwood 3ghz at 3.5ghz

Asus P4P800-deluxe (235FSB)

Antec Trio 650W PS

2x512mb Corsair TwinX DDR (2.5,3,3,5)

HIS IceQ3 Turbo X1950 Pro (512mb) AGP

Creative SB Audigy ZS2

Windows XP Pro SP2

I play ArmA with Audio Hardware Acceleration on, but EAX off (since it completely facks up the audio).

Again, similar to another post I made, but specific to this error only - while overclocking this beastie I got this BSoD also for the first ever and only time, I set the PCI bus up to 120% and then I got this error - but at below this threshold it did not occur - at 112% I got a different error with securom instead, and at 110% it's stable.

This leads me to ponder whether it's your hardware struggling that maybe causing your BSoD's and whether any of you have tried increasing the RAM and CPU voltages slightly to see if your situation can be improved?

I also notice that fasad is running his 3GHz processor at 3.5, the highest I could run my old 3Ghz HT processor RELIABLY with ArmA was 3.4, and the timings on RAM had to be increased to help stability - those timings you publish in your sig fasad look to me slightly low for an overclocked PC/bus speed. Try increasing them slightly and upping your voltages a bit.

I suspected the overclocking may be the cause, however the BSoD still occured at (and below) stock speeds.

I've thoroughly tested my pc with all the usual stress test programs. The voltages etc are already up, and yes, the timing is aggressive, but it's all stable smile_o.gif

(although I'm not stupid enough to deny that the OC may still be a factor, which is why I included the details in my post)