Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

XML: Beginning to End Explaination Needed.

1. I have a Photoshop Transparent Image here: What format does it need to be converted to?

2. I have BIS's "Tex View" Program. I convert the Image to ".paa" correct?

3. Once this is done. What are the other files I need? Where can I get them.

4. I need a FTP/Hosted Website to host my images. BUT do not have an FTP or have a website. Is there any website out there that is FREE that can hold XML Data.

5. Once this is done, I am assuming I simply take the .xml link from the URL and paste it into my profile on ArmA.

A simple walkthrough regarding these questions in order would be most appreciated and will be helpful for others as well.

I am really confused here...

has this to do with mission editing?

Where is the XML correlation with the other points? Why do you need to host XML? Do you mean HTML, as in a website?

Maybe someone else can make light of this...

Do you know what an XML even is?

It's not "mission" editing technically.

The "HTML" is not what is called from the Profile menu.

Still looking for a walkthrough.. in relation to my questions above.

Do you want to add images to your briefings?

If it is not this then I don't understand. And what do you need the xml for?

XML, stands for eXtensible Markup Language.

I have worked with it for over 5 years.

Your questions are incredibly vague.

Next time, I won't bother trying to give you a hand.

I knew how to do that, it was just simply the hosting that was the problem.

I think I made a solution though. Using the website hosting service Angelfire.com I made a free website and used it to host my XML data. Now the only problem:

I saved my transparent image (in photoshop) in .tga format. I converted it with TexView to .paa, and in ArmA the image displayed with a white background! Ideas? Thanks

I saved my transparent image (in photoshop) in .tga format. I converted it with TexView to .paa, and in ArmA the image displayed with a white background! Ideas? Thanks

Well it's obviously something to do with the .tga file, isn't

it? wink_o.gif

I would assume. I never remember a .tga being transparent though. I always had different file extensions for transparent files not TexView doesn't read them.

What does the.tga require to be transparent? (I have photoshop cs2)

TGAs don’t save layer information so basically when saving it as a TGA you’re flattening the image which will give it a white background.

TGAs however do save alpha channels also sometimes called a mask, which controls the transparency of an image.

Here is a quick and easy way to creating an image with alpha transparency.

First select the area of your image you want visible. Either with one of the many marquee tools, magic wand or my personal favourite (assuming you’re working with layers) Ctrl + left clicking the layer.

alpha1.jpg

Once you have your selection click on the “channels†tab. Then simply click on “save selection as channel†this will then create your alpha channel.

alpha2.jpg

Now check if what you want to be visible is white. If it's the opposite, click on the Alpha1 channel deselect (Ctrl+D) and invert (Ctrl+I).

Now you can either save it directly as .PAA (using the plug-in) or save it as .TGA and convert it using TexView.

Hope that helps!

I think you made a very misleading topic title... you are not asking about XML, you are asking questions about the squad.xml file in ArmA. I looked at the topic title and asked myself, does someone really come here to ask for a "beginning to end explanation" for XML? There is quite a big difference between those two subjects...

wink_o.gif

Whoa Thanks Talyn.

Only one issue. When loading into the lobby of an MP game I get this error:

Cannot Load Texture c:/documents and settings/victor/local settings/application data/arma/tmp/squads//v2.paa

The picture is named v2.paa... but it isn't working. The XML image looks black on vehicles.. a black box.

Any ideas?