Sign in to follow this  
blasko

random function doesn't work

Hello all, I have a problem with a random positions script in a MP map.

At the beginning of the mission, I want a ammo crate named "ammo"to be randomly located on the map in one of these 5 positions "pos1", "pos2", "pos3", "pos4" and "pos5".

Here is my alea.sqs script text :

Quote[/b] ]_x = _this select 0

_aleatoire = random 25

if(_aleatoire < 5) then {_x setpos getpos pos1;lieua=true;publicVariable"lieua";goto "end"}

if(_aleatoire > 4 AND _aleatoire<10) then {_x setpos getpos pos2;lieub=true;publicVariable"lieub";goto "end"}

if(_aleatoire > 9 AND _aleatoire<15) then {_x setpos getpos pos3;lieuc=true;publicVariable"lieuc";goto "end"}

if(_aleatoire > 14 AND _aleatoire<20) then {_x setpos getpos pos4;lieud=true;publicVariable"lieud";goto "end"}

if(_aleatoire > 19 AND _aleatoire<26) then {_x setpos getpos pos5;lieue=true;publicVariable"lieue";goto "end"}

#end

exit

And when I write in init.sqs :

Quote[/b] ][ammo] exec"alea.sqs"

The ammo crate successfully goes in one of the 5 positions in the map for me only : but when I played the MP with a friend, he forever sees the crate at the same position, this position is where I placed the ammo crate in the map when I was editing, so I conclude that the ammo crate didn't launch the script text in my friend's computer because it is not in one of the 5 positions that it has to be. My friend can watch the ammo crate whereas I can't see it and I see the ammo crate in one of the 5 positions and not my friend !

I hope you understood my problem and if you have got a solution to this matter it would be very appreciated smile_o.gif

Best regards.

Blasko.

The problem is one of locality rather than the random command. Locality can get very confusing very quickly, as some commands require local arguments and some commands will only have a local effect.

Do you have a script running on the client to setPos the ammo crates to the appropriate location?

Sorry to say, but placing a static object such as an ammo crate is not possible whatever you do because ArmA still has the bug of not transmitting setPos of static objects to other players than the host. It's not the fault of your scripts.

Quote[/b] ]...placing a static object such as an ammo crate is not possible whatever you do...

Surely you just execute code to setPos the object on each client!?

Thank you for the answers, I think I will place a static ammo crate then sad_o.gif

If the solution fasad suggests works, it would be great huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]...placing a static object such as an ammo crate is not possible whatever you do...

Surely you just execute code to setPos the object on each client!?

Wanna try that for yourself before you believe?

Why do you need a script anyway?

Create your ammobox & 5 empty markers

Group (F2) each marker with the ammobox and you're done.

The ammobox will appear randomly on one the markerpositions.

Simple as that. Should work in SP & MP

Same goes for troops btw, group the leader of the group with each marker and the whole group will randomly appear on one of these markerpositions.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=59915

Why do you need a script anyway?

Same goes for troops btw, group the leader of the group with each marker and the whole group will randomly appear on one of these markerpositions.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=59915

Hey I never knew that. Thanks, it could be useful to me.

Thats something I didn't know either, I also noticed you can group several objects to the same markers and as long as you spread them using the placement option you can really random things up.

Wow, that is a neat trick! The object will also randomly appear at it's mission editor location.

This is good working feature for troops in SP and MP

For ammo-crates this is just working in Sp, and not in MP! I already tested it mad_o.gif

This is good working feature for troops in SP and MP

For ammo-crates this is just working in Sp, and not in MP! I already tested it mad_o.gif

Probably same thing as with any other static/building type of object. Cant setpos etc them in MP.

Why not just use the probability of presence option when you place them on the map.

Could you first choose the location, then create the ammo box?

The can't move static thing is weird. Did the same problem exist in OFP?

For a scriptbased solution like the original one, though:

If Celery is correct that this is only about not transmitting the new position after a 'setPos' in multiplayer, then all you have to do is randomize the number on the server and publicVariable it to clients before working out which position has been selected. For instance like below in your init.sqs(disclaimer: untested code and requires logic on map with name "Server").

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">...

MyTag_aleatiore = -1

if (local Server) then {MyTag_aleatoire = random 25; publicVariable MyTag_aleatoire;}

@(MyTag_alaetiore != -1)

if(MyTag_aleatoire < 5) then {_x setpos getpos pos1;}

if(MyTag_aleatoire < 10) then {_x setpos getpos pos2;}

if(MyTag_aleatoire < 15) then {_x setpos getpos pos3;}

if(MyTag_aleatoire < 20) then {_x setpos getpos pos4;}

if(MyTag_aleatoire < 26) then {_x setpos getpos pos5:}

lieue=true

publicVariable"lieue"

ArmA still has the bug of not transmitting setPos of static objects to other players than the host.

You were somewhat unclear then wink_o.gif I took what you said about 'transmitting' to mean that running setPos on one machine would not update the others. Not that it would do nothing locally. The scripting I suggested was to work around the bug I understood it to be...sorry to hear that it is an even worse bug than that huh.gif