Sign in to follow this  
zlutor

Multi(core) CPU support and ArmA

Does ArmA support multi(core) CPUs? I guess it does not.

Any plans to improve it?

To my knowledge ArmA can be run on multi-core processors but it does not take advantage of multithreading, which means that the game will use one core only. Other processes can use other cores so there should be a performance improvement.

I would not expect multithreading appear into ArmA, if it is done by BIS then good but really don't put your hopes on that.

There is a word from the lead programmer of Arma that they could do something for it but they don't promise anything.

Edit: In thread 64bit and multithreading

lead programmer says:

Multithreading: Yes, ArmA is missing specific optimization for Dual Core systems. The same can be told about many (perhaps most) games released (including Microsoft flagship product Flight Simulator X). While this is unfortunate, there are reasons for this - implementing multithreaded architecture is very complicated and time consuming process. Still, even without any specific optimization on our side, thanks to the optimization done by both nVidia and ATI in the drivers, you can see a measurable performance gain in ArmA (my measurements have shown 5-20 % improvement depending on the scene).

We hope we will be able to provide some more support in future patches, but I cannot make any promises on when (or even if) that will be.

Regarding 64b, this technology does not bring any magical speedup, what it brings is an increased address space, which would bring almost nothing to ArmA. Thanks to the streaming technology the ArmA is handling huge datasets (over 4.4 GB of data) with little physical and virtual address space needed. Until more than 2 GB is needed to be present in the memory at the same time for one scene (which will quite likely be necessary for future products) , such technology is not needed and no specific support is therefore planned for ArmA.

This topic has been covered in many other threads, please use one of those.