Sign in to follow this  
zovirl

Can't patch past 1.20

My brother can't patch past 1.20 on his computer. When he tries, the splash screen comes up, then goes away, and nothing happens. There are no error messages, nothing.

In the past, he had 1.30 installed, but when the 1.40 patch came out it wouldn't install (same problem) so he reformatted his hard drive and reinstalled. Now he can't get 1.30 to install.

His computer is an Asus A7B with an Athalon thunderbird 950. Windows 2000 (NTFS). Creative labs GeForce 256. He has the latest VIA drivers.

Any ideas people? He really wants to play MP with the rest of us...

I had the same problems, and they were due to the SafeDisc copy-protection engine that is used by OFP. Apparently either the version of the engine or the settings used by it have been changed several times over the lifetime of OFP, and this has caused some versions of the game to work on my system, and some to fail.

The problem was completely consistent, some versions would either always work or always fail. There was never a case where it work sometimes and not others.

I used to run Windows 2000 from two different partitions, one that had all my usual applications, drivers and utilities on it, and one partition that was plain with the minimal OS, which would allow me to boot the system if something should happen to my work partition. OFP would consistently work when installed from the plain partition, but the work partition with Roxio EZ-CD Creator etc. had the problems I described.

My work-around was to either install the game on the plain Windows 2000 partition, or using a NoCD hack from the Internet. I really hated having to do the later because of FADE, although I must admit it never caused problems. However, the FADE code has supposedly been improved, so I don't know if the NoCD hacks still work -- I haven't had to use one in months.

Luckily for myself, I haven't experienced any problems since installing a larger harddrive and putting XP on it. If your brother doesn't have the option of using a plain OS installation, he may have to use a NoCD hack until Codemasters wakes up and removes the troublesome SafeDisc. In my opinion, it only inconveniences legitimate owners of the game, and does nothing to prevent illegal copying.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (zovirl @ Feb. 08 2002,04:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My brother can't patch past 1.20 on his computer.  When he tries, the splash screen comes up, then goes away, and nothing happens.  There are no error messages, nothing.<span id='postcolor'>

Search The FAQ for "logo display" and read the first 2 matching items.

Thanks for the ideas. I will tell him to try those. This splash screen that comes up, by the way, is when we try to install the patch not when we try to run the game. Perhaps it is the same problem though. I will let you know...

Just to let people know, we got around the problem and got him playing. We simply copied the game directory off my computer and then he was able to start the game.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (zovirl @ Feb. 20 2002,01:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just to let people know, we got around the problem and got him playing.  We simply copied the game directory off my computer and then he was able to start the game.<span id='postcolor'>

Not sure this is the best solution it might work but you'll probably find you might not be able to MP between the two of you. Check you player number on both machines and if you have the same player number you might be in for some interesting times.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ufo_hk @ Feb. 20 2002,02:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Check you player number on both machines and if you have the same player number you might be in for some interesting times.<span id='postcolor'>

I would think that the player number is encrypted and embedded somewhere in the registry, no? In which case, just copying the folders and files shouldn't lead to duplication of the player number.

It would be really nice if Codeslackers could release ANY AND ALL registry entries that should be removed in order for their game to work. It would also be nice if they would tell us what entries of theirs that we should erase so we can successfully re-install and then patch. It seems that they should have no problem telling people how to remove their software COMPLETELY!!! I know there's something lurking in the registry...