Sign in to follow this  
vilas

crawlin/walking

making missions for my addons i 've noticed one problem more in ARMA

when you crawling - you are breathing loud

when you walking - no

so

you are better spotable to AI when you crawl than you walk - nonsense !

in OFP when you were down you were less spotble to AI

in ARMA - no

i saw (from 3rd person view)

when i was crawling in bush - AI see where i am (sometimes from 50 meters on they back)

when i walk - i can surprise and win AI

:/

in ARMA crawling equal runing fast ?

when AI noticed me once - no matter i am 50 -60 meters away and i crawl in grass and bush - they look directly on my and aim guns (i crawl around them)

i think, by default, pressing forward without 'shift' while crawling is equal to crawling fast in OFP. Pressing shift in ArmA slows down the crawl. Maybe you could see if that triggers the same response with the AI?

From my experience, though, i found that walking tires out the player faster than jogging all the way across the world. After walking for ten seconds my player would be breathing heavily and the crosshair wont be tight anymore.

When you're walking you are using two legs designed to support 200lbs or more with minimal effort.

When crawling, you are dragging that same weight with your foreams whilst trying to push with your insteps. That's mighty hard work.

As ArmA is a soldier sim I'd say they've got it right.

yes, but in other games when you crawl - it means you are "stealth"

here not

i started to crawl in the direction of soldiers (behind their back) - they always shoot me

when i go in their direction - i can be even 20 meters from they and they don't see me and don't turn back

probably i will stay with making addons but not playing because for me ARMA is not playable (not only because of horible performance, lags, missing textures)

soldier is not able to jump and smaller fence is problem etc. etc.

AI cannot be desanted from boat (D-Day) they loose all weapons and they swim unarmed

i tried to make some missions but i see it is nonsense

i cannot see enemy when i lay down because of grass

but they see me

nonsense , total nonsense

I´m not sure how you conducted your tests.

I am working on a mission where you once have to crawl up to a target. Nearby (10 m´s) there is a patrol of 2 men. If you approach them walking you will be shot, if you crawl and use bushes for cover you can go up to 5 m´s to them and they won´t notice you. Works just as it´s supposed to work for me.

I've noticed that when crouching down and moving forward that you breathe harder than when you are standing. It's even worse if you have your gun up. After only a few steps you are panting like a racehorse. It's not very realistic as you don't pant that hard when running forward!

One of the most knackering leg exercises is to walk with thighs approaching the horizontal. We do it in kung fu training. You have never heard a room so full of panting as when we do this. It kills!

Press shift to crawl slowly, then you wont get tired. Same as walking and running.

I can't confirm what the topic starter writes.

You are much more concealed and less subject to detection when you are prone. I have experienced a dozen times, that AI fired at me and stopped doing so as soon as I went prone. ( Even though they still had a LOF )

*EDIT* And PLEASE .. don't hit return after every third word. It's a pain in the ass to read.

It's dumb to think you're sneaking up to an enemy whilst breathing noisily. I'm sure I read somewhere that the definition of stealth does not include making loud rasping noises.

tounge2.gif