Sign in to follow this  
Jambo107

Converting weapons

Hi, I've searched the forums for converting OPF weapons into ARMA however I only came across one thread and it was very vauge. Granq (creator the recent BTR) mentioned use the '8 step guide found in the zip' but they was no link or reference to where this guide or zip is located.

My question is therefor two fold, Is there a comprehensive step by step guide on convertering weapons from OPF to ARAMA (or from scratch) if so where is it located, or if the answer to the above question is found in the 8 step Guide, where is this guide located?

Cheers

I've been converting some weapons from OFP to ARMA and it really isn't that hard if you just wanna know the basics.

Use Unpbo tool to unpack the Ofp addon you've choosed, in this case a weapon.

Try selecting just a single weapon don't try to convert a pack of weapons in your first conversion or it will be a lot harder.

You must also be sure that the weapon is not using textures from OFP, so choose one addon that as a complete new model and therefore tottaly new textures.

Than replace the old config.cpp file for a new one from ARMA, I've been using the M16's cpp file for a reference (you'll find it in the Weapons.pbo file inside ARMA).

Don't forget that the cpp file is under the extension of .bin in ARMA so you have to change the file from .bin to .cpp with the apropriate tool.

Or if you prefer to make it easy, just download the new Steyr or G11 addon, unpack one of them and use that .cpp file as a reference guide since both of them are well coded.

Than change the values you need in the cpp file as well as the model path. Pack it up again and it's done.

Later you may want to make new editor pictures, new sounds new types of firing modes, you may need to change the accuracy of the weapon, the sights and so on but first just try learning the basics.

Learning the .cpp file is basically all you'll need to convert weapons and you will find lots of tutorials at ofpec website for example, BIS Wiki website as also a lot of nice tutorials.

The only problem I had was the Muzzle Flash being always on which I had to delete with O2 (Oxygen Light), but I'm sure that it's fairely easy to fix this, however I don't remenber how I used to do it in the old times, so I have to study it a little bit more.

This is all I can help you for now, I bought the game recentely so I'm still learning what as been changed from one game to another, I'm really sorry.

The only problem I had was the Muzzle Flash being always on which I had to delete with O2 (Oxygen Light), but I'm sure that it's fairely easy to fix this, however I don't remenber how I used to do it in the old times, so I have to study it a little bit more.

Need to define the model in cfgmodels, that'll remove the permenant muzzle-flash. You'll also need to make sure that there are no faces set to "Shining" in O2, as (for reasons unknown to me) ArmA will render them as always in shadow and the muzzle flash will appear black.

Some of the positions of weapons will probably need to be changed (I found that 99% of the weapons in my pack needs repositioning slightly) to accomodate the ArmA animations. This is basiclaly trial and error, follow what Skaven said in his post above to get the weapon functioning on a basic level, and then work on the more advanced issues.

Thanks Jackal326 and it's nice to see your still around. wink_o.gif