Sign in to follow this  
DodgeME

Most hardware intensive game ever!!!

Hmmm seems like the game requires a lot of hardware power. Even more than Max Payne!!!

It plays on lower powered games but even with very good hardware is somewhat slow in 1024*768. Seems like OF depends much on the CPU.

My Athlon 1GHz OC to 1.1GHz

256MB RAM

GF3

plays the game smoothly but the "Battlefields" mission requires a monster PC to run smoothly on.

I know the game looks very good but since the geomentry and physics engine ain't so good then how comes it needs such a high powered CPU???

I mean even Max Payne plays very smoothly on my system and it requires a lot more 3D power then OF it temrs of 3D card.

Hope they find a fix in thenext patch of next game they release with an updated OF engine.

I'm sure Max Payne has far fewer 3D surfaces than OFP in a typical scene -- it relies heavily on high-resolution textures that are mapped onto large, flat surfaces.

OFP, on the other hand, uses less detailed textures, but there are lots of them. Every tree that is visible (and there are often hundreds or thousands of them) has multiple textures, and there is the complex terrain, the soldiers, the vehicles etc.

Yeah I have massive lag at times....my only theory on how I do is the antialiasing because I have a P4 1.7 overclocked to 1870...then 512MB DDR....Geforce3 Ti500...400bus speed overclocked to 600....

I mean I shouldn't have lag but I do...and at times more than my old P3 750Mhz voodoo5

I think its more to do with the AI.

I once tried placing 50 civilians in one place and then previewed the mission.

My framerates were very low but then I killed them all with a satchel. As soon as they were dead my framerates went back to normal.

Since the dead bodies probably have the same number of polygons as the live civilians then the only reason I can think of for an increase in performance is that OFP has suddenly gone from processing 50 live AI civilians to processing none (since I killed them).

Interesting. Well My old P3 500, 64MG and Voodoo3 played the game at low resolution with heavy slowdown at some times but GF4 might solve the problem.

General AI and pathfinding mostly, is causing the horrible FPS...

When i start the editor, and place down just me a soldier, then click preview my P3 1ghz, 256RAM, Geforce2GTS manages from 25-50fps in 1024x768x32

But when i place 10-25 enemy soldiers (not always visible mind you) the FPS sticks to 20 if it not lower.

Try it on win98se with those f%$#king beasts of machines you guys have and i garuentee NO MORE CHUG !.

Its the shitty new O/S MS keep bringing out.

LONG LIVE 98SE [the pro gamers choice] smile.gif.

few more things turn v sync off !!! and no antialising ! and run in 16 bit god-damnit ! SMOOOTHNESS OO YEAH BOOYA

This issue has bothered me alot too. I also have a fast machine, and wish I was able to overpaste the islands with ambient life, detail objects and soldiers patrolling all the bases. As it is now, you can make a local mission, but have to leave the rest of the island empty. I'd love to be able to make a persistant world where every town is alive and is reused through a campaign.

I've also noticed that it's the CPU that get's killed. Changing the graphics doesn't do any difference, so I just play in 1600*1200*32. The framerate is exactly the same at 800*600, i.e. so is the choppyness during busy events.

I hope they can do something about this - much more than I hope for new fancy addons or other stuff. It's the only limit to mission designs as of now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WKK Gimbal @ Feb. 11 2002,05:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hope they can do something about this - much more than I hope for new fancy addons or other stuff. It's the only limit to mission designs as of now.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, all you can do is get a better computer. Sure BIS could change the AI but do you really want to fight againist enemies who do nothing else than run right at you shooting all over the place? smile.gif

Hmmm a new AI system for the current game in a patch is unlikely. They will surely have smt new for the upcoming game. Let the OC begin biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hope they can do something about this - much more than I hope for new fancy addons or other stuff. It's the only limit to mission designs as of now.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, all you can do is get a better computer. Sure BIS could change the AI but do you really want to fight againist enemies who do nothing else than run right at you shooting all over the place? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe I should get a NASA computer so I can run OFP better ...

BTW, I agree that it gotta be the AI - in other games the AI already knows where you are before they see you - i.e. they use minimum CPU time to detect enemies.

I see. Well l am sure that the processor wouldn't be supported by current software we use tounge.gif