Sign in to follow this  
5133p39

Say command is local

I need a confirmation whether the Say command is Global in Armed Assault.

I tried to search for a CLEAR answer, and found some little pieces of info, but it wasn't enough.

I made a simple test running dedicated server, and two instances of ArmA. I made a simple mission with two playable units and an empty car with attached 'getIn' eventhandler which will make the car say some sound when anyone gets into it.

It worked (i could hear the sound in each ArmA instance), but then i realized that the 'GetIn' eventhandler is global!

So the test results cannot be taken as an evidence.

I tried few more tests, but then i got confused - what if the results are somewhat influenced by the fact that i am running dedicated server and two instances of ArmA (with the same cd key of course) on the same machine???

So now i am completely clueless, baffled, and puzzled, i couldn't tell you probably even how much is 1+1.

Could anyone please confirm or disconfirm whether the Say command is local? ...and under which circumstances (does it matter whether the unit which plays the sound is local on the machine where the command was issued?).

p.s. if someone have the answer, it would be nice to post it into notes under the Say command in the Wiki.

AFAIK, the say command is not global. Hence MAP_Misc uses the NS Lite to execute say commands on every client, e.g. in the Burn Script.

The Eventhandler is indeed executed globally and hence the say command is executed on all machines.

Yes, i think the same (despite the messed up title of this topic smile_o.gif )

..but i don't believe in myself anymore banghead.gif

Thanks for the confirmation, that's what i needed.

the say command.. it is only for "soldiers"?

i been makeing a AA script and i want to have the sound of missiles lunching when it fires,, but it dosent seems like a vehicle can use the "say"

well they prob,, can,, but thats like making them sitting inside the vehicle and say stuff. im i right ?

Quote[/b] ]the say command.. it is only for "soldiers"?

i been makeing a AA script and i want to have the sound of missiles lunching when it fires,, but it dosent seems like a vehicle can use the "say"

well they prob,, can,, but thats like making them sitting inside the vehicle and say stuff. im i right ?

No, the say command can be used on every live unit, not just soldiers. Gamelogics can use the say command aswell.

hmm..

i have this in my description.ext file.

class CfgSounds

{

sounds[] = {AA};

class AA

{

name="AA";

sound[]={\sounds\aamissile.ogg,db+20,1.0};

titles[] = {};

};

};

and in my script i use _AAvehicle say "AA"

the aa vehicle i use is a "stryker ATGM"

i have been trying to adjust the decibel up and down,but got no results. "still no sound",, i have also been looking at the Artillery Mr-murrasy script to see how he did it. i see no diffrant way in my script.. so im realy starting to think that ""it works"" but the sound is stuck inside the vehicle..

i am sorry, i don't get it - what is exactly the problem? or what exactly do you want?

You are executing command...

_AAvehicle say "AA"

...and it works - as you wrote, the stryker is playing the sound.

What is wrong then?

well the big problem is that, i cant hear any sound at all,

it does not matter if i am 1 meter or 50 meter away from it.

The say command is local.  In my latest mission project I use say in locally executed scripts, and the say only happens locally in that instance.

And Nuxil, if theres no sound and no error message then most likely _AAvehicle isnt properly set, or the sound itself is nothingness.

Quote[/b] ]well the big problem is that, i cant hear any sound at all,

But the sound works with other unit or trigger or gamelogic ?

well the big problem is that, i cant hear any sound at all,

have you checked whether the sound alone is played under other circumstances?

Make clean new mission, put only player (some original BIS unit like BLUFOR rifleman) on the map and put the Say command in his initfield: this Say "AA"

...you should be hearing the sound when you try the mission.

If you can't hear it, then make sure the cfgSounds section is right (check your paths, etc.).

Also, try to rule out the possibility that the sound sample is bad - try replacing your soundfile in cfgSounds with some other soundfile about which you know that it works.

thanks for your tips.. winamp plays my sound file fine,, and my config file in correct,, however i'll try to reconvert my missile sound, to bad i have no other custom sound to test with,

i'll X my fingers and hope it works smile_o.gif