Sign in to follow this  
nopulse

FADE

Major Fubar Posted on Feb. 15 2002,07:56

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All I want is a definitive BIS release stating what will and will not trigger FADE, and if triggered, EXACTLY what the effects will be (not just some nebulous offhand remark about "degradation").

I'm sure legit owners out there, who have put their hard earned cash into buying a copy of OFP, would like to see this release. I know I sure would. It would end this FADE debate once and for all.<span id='postcolor'>

I'm with you on that one Major Fubar.  That's all I'm asking for too.  An "offical" statment by BIS on FADE, and what WILL and WILL NOT cause FADE.

Lupus23 Posted on Feb. 15 2002,01:33

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The fact of the matter is for whatever reason you are a moderator of this board, and therefore you are affiliated with BIS somehow, and anything you do say can be considered dis-information.

Honestly nothing personal, but as far as I know, one of the rules to being a moderator here is that you must support the FADE myth.<span id='postcolor'>

Lupus23 has a point Sith.  Since your a moderator of this board you are affiliated with BIS therefore you have to support the FADE myth.  Its like working for a tobacco company and saying "No, smoking can't kill you".  Or like saying that everything the government tells you is true.  You HAVE to support the idea that FADE is real otherwise I doubt very much you would be a moderator on the board any more.  I'm not saying your a liar or anything, I'm just saying that you can't really tell us if FADE is bogus or not.

Enough boggie man shit....my game is corrupted right now because of fade.

FUCK FADE!!!!!!!!! mad.gif  mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Right, I've read the in game cheats can trigger fade. Which is really idiotic. I mean no matter how you look at it. The idea of it is idiotic. If BIS really did it, it would be idiotic.<span id='postcolor'>

Where did you read this then? I can assure you that the ingame cheats (so the ones put in by BIS) will not trigger Fade.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I won't call you a liar, but I don't believe what you saw was fade. The fact of the matter is for whatever reason you are a moderator of this board, and therefore you are affiliated with BIS somehow, and anything you do say can be considered dis-information.<span id='postcolor'>

Dude, trust me...I know what Fade does and how you can recognize it. Let me put it this way: I'm a tester for BIS and sometimes an internal update has a bug that triggers Fade. I've seen it ALOT...so dont tell me that what I saw wasnt Fade, you'll only make a fool out of yourself.

Look...if you refuse to believe me at any cost, then I'll rest my case. I'm not gonna waste my time on this anymore.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Enough boggie man shit....my game is corrupted right now because of fade.<span id='postcolor'>

Contact Codemasters Tech Support.

I created a poll about FADE, as opposed to a general thread, to give OFP owners a vote...but the poll was closed about 3 minutes after I created it by Hilandor.

Almost makes you think BIS (and their moderators) have something to hide, doesn't it?

He said there are already too many threads about FADE, and I agree completely (hell, I even said as much in my poll message!), but it wasn't just another stupid thread, it was a poll to get feedback on how people feel about FADE. That is why I had it as a poll only, so it wouldnt be cluttered up with comments. I really don't see the point in locking the poll, unless there is a hidden agenda involved.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lemme know what you think...(I have a strange feeling this poll might get axed pretty quick, maybe I'm just paranoid)  

I deliberately made this poll only because there are already way too many threads about FADE.<span id='postcolor'>

Apparently I wasn't being paranoid  tounge.gif

In the words of Ice-T "Freedom of Speech... Just Watch What You Say"

Lemme throw in my tuppence here, whether or not fade is real or no isn't IMO the relevant issue, the Fade topic has been discussed to death many times over many months, the reason a lot of polls/topics get closed is simply because it's a tired old subject, Bis have commented on Fade and the effects of Fade many times in the past, that's the way I see it smile.gif

If you want a definitive answer to the Fade question why not Email Bis and/or Codemasters, I would imagine they'll be happy to explain it to you with you being new to the forums.

The only thing fade does is make all your weapons totally in accurate...you can be within 50M and will have to fire like 60 shots in full auto to hit your target....I have been playing all night with fade active......

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sith @ Feb. 15 2002,00:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Enough boggie man shit....my game is corrupted right now because of fade.<span id='postcolor'>

Contact Codemasters Tech Support.<span id='postcolor'>

And ask em what?.....I used a trainer and it triggered fade....they will tell me tuff luck.... mad.gif bastards.....

Okay, there were several responses to my postings. Instead of replying individually, I'll make a blanket statement.

I have NEVER had FADE triggered on my installation. Even using a no patched exe.

So, if the point is to keep people from copying the game, then why didn't the no cd patch trigger it?

Eh in the future you'll have to have a retinal scanner hooked up to your quantum computer....then when you buy a game you'll have to register it to a user and you'll only be allowed to do it once....then when running the game instead of putting in the CD you'll have the retinal scan.... biggrin.gif

Rogue2020 Posted on Feb. 15 2002,19:57

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Eh in the future you'll have to have a retinal scanner hooked up to your quantum computer....then when you buy a game you'll have to register it to a user and you'll only be allowed to do it once....then when running the game instead of putting in the CD you'll have the retinal scan.... <span id='postcolor'>

I believe Microsoft is already developing that lol wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nopulse @ Feb. 16 2002,01:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Rogue2020 Posted on Feb. 15 2002,19:57

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Eh in the future you'll have to have a retinal scanner hooked up to your quantum computer....then when you buy a game you'll have to register it to a user and you'll only be allowed to do it once....then when running the game instead of putting in the CD you'll have the retinal scan.... <span id='postcolor'>

I believe Microsoft is already developing that lol  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Knowing Microsoft I'm surprized it's not an anal probe

It wouldn't work since people would hack the retinal registration......it will be 50 years before the first quantum computer comes out though.....I will be long dead.

Rogue2020 Posted on Feb. 16 2002,04:52

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It wouldn't work since people would hack the retinal registration......it will be 50 years before the first quantum computer comes out though.....I will be long dead.<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe before the next 50 years Microsoft will develope software that will be able to save your brain by downloading it into a huge mainframe and then download it into a new host/body when it is available wink.gif

Who knows what evil things Microsoft is cooking up these days wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nopulse @ Feb. 16 2002,09:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe before the next 50 years Microsoft will develope software that will be able to save your brain by downloading it into a huge mainframe and then download it into a new host/body when it is available wink.gif

Who knows what evil things Microsoft is cooking up these days  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Or maybee Bill Gates will be dead by then. who'll replace him?

SpaceAlex Posted on Feb. 16 2002,11:44

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Or maybee Bill Gates will be dead by then. who'll replace him?<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe he will clone himself.... wink.gif

Maybe game developers can have a DNA databank, and you have to go in to their development centre and register via DNA scan, and have a small electrode implanted in the base of your brain that causes blinding pain and paralysis if anyone with different DNA uses your copy of the game.

Oh wait, that wouldnt work, someone's clone could still use the game too!

I know developers have to copyright their material and protect it, but this whole FADE, serial key, CD detection bullshit has gone too far. I'm starting to miss the days of games that came on floppy disc, you just installed once, and then could play whenever. *sigh* Oh well....

Major Fubar Posted on Feb. 17 2002,04:05

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm starting to miss the days of games that came on floppy disc, you just installed once, and then could play whenever.<span id='postcolor'>

I miss those days too Major Fubar. I liked the fact that everything loaded and played from the HD, and you didn't have to keep the CD in the drive. I liked the old method of copy protection where a huge book came with the game and you had to look for a word on page 23, paragraph 2, 3rd line in the paragraph. Sure it may seem too simple now of days, but it still was effective. Hell who really wants to photo-copy a huge a$$ book? Also I liked the pin wheel copy protection too, where the game gave you this pin wheel thingy and you had to line up all the wheels in the giving order to find a certain word or area on the map. I remember Cineware's Rocket Ranger used that type of copy protection. Try making an exact copy of the pin wheel... sure it may seem easy... Oh the good olds days....

I have 3 copies of the game on 3 pc's; I get the message when I remove the CD after the game has started. I'm not a programmer but I did not think that removing the CD could change the OFP executable but I could be wrong.

Also when we play with the message there is no degradation in gameplay and the message is only during MP play. Why would they make a copy protection that only affects MP and not SP? More people play SP than MP and with this they could get a free game.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nopulse @ Feb. 16 2002,14:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe he will clone himself....   wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Too much work. He would be baby again. The best way would be if he would clone himself right now. smile.gif Ooops, that's not possible yet. tounge.gif

OK im sick to death of people arguing about FADE so im setting things straight. FADE DOES EXIST! Anyone who thinks otherwise is either in denial or is just plain thick. Think about it, what the hell would be the point in BIS or Codemasters not having any copyright protection and just claiming that they do? You're basically saying that their way of stopping hackers ripping the game is to bluff is it? Yeah thats the most effective thing in the world, its exactly why the hackers ARE ripping off the game DUH!

Secondly I HAVE had FADE. I originally completed the entire campaign aswell as Red Hammer and then just for some fun I decided to use a few trainers rather than play the same thing over and over again. After a little while, FADE kicked in, weapons were not hitting anything but friendly units or dirt, guns were running out of ammo after like 3 seconds, soldiers in cutscenes were comitting suicide (yes you saw that right) prime example was on the cutscene of Cold War Crisis were Armstrong returns to the Americans after leaving the Resistance fighters. At the shot from the bottom of the tower looking upwards, someone jumped off the top, then on the top of the tower shot were everyone is talking, Armstrong and the Resistance leader just dropped dead in front of the camera, all this aswell as countless other things until eventually the game refused to run. I emailed BIS and Codemasters several times about this and neither gave me any help what so ever. so I thought fuck 'em im fixing the thing myself and if they dont like it they can shove it. It's my copy of the game I'll do what I want with it and its got nothing to do with anyone else. So after a little time with a hex editor I took FADE out of the game myself and it now runs fine whether I use a trainer or not.

The rippers have removed FADE from the ripped copies, so any ripped game wont have it, unless of course the hacker was a dumbass that had no clue what he was doing. So again FADE exists and I have a legal copy of the game, but I have now taken FADE out of it coz I got so pissed off with it.

On the topic of trainers. People that use trainers in MP suck, using them in MP IS cheating, using them in SP is the players choice. Hell since I completed both campaigns and every mission a few times over I have started using trainers just for the reason that it is trying something new. As many people have said if you do nothing but play the same missions over and over you quickly get bored and the game does nothing but gather dust. I dont play online as there just isn't a point. I prefer a long strategic fight, not some bollocks ass rush attack that ends the game in under 5 minutes. Like for example on Red Alert 2, in online play the only thing ANYONE ever does is a goddam tank rush, which you can either put down, or be put down. No option for strategy and it's just no fun. That also makes you quickly get bored as you are lacking new options. If you dont want to use a cheat or trainer then thats fine but you have no right to criticise anyone that does use a cheat to help them. Some people like, me just use them for new gaming options and might have properly completed everything, others aren't very good at the game and need cheats to beat it, so are you going to criticise someone on the basis that they aren't as skilled at you and need help?

What really pisses me off is how many people here are so single minded and believe that anyone that doesn't believe what they believe is a loser, the people with that attitude are the only true losers and those who get so wound up about making their point and doing things right because nothing ever goes their way, no doubt these people have no girlfriend or social life so they take their frustration out on the people that do, this doesn't neccessarily apply to everyone but for quite the majority it does. And yes there are SOME ingame cheats like level skip, but there isn't anything like infinite ammo or rapid fire, and in some cases like on the Red Hammer campaign you cant use the skip level cheat as it counts as an automatic fail. Missions like where you must rescue Sergei in 15 minutes and where you must get the fuel truck to refuel the grounded chopper then get it repaired, using the end mission code there gives you an instant fail, so the only way to keep going if you cant beat that game is to quit the campaign then use the campaign code to unlock every level. Not eveyone wants to do that as in cases like this you dont get to see all the cutscenes in the campaign. Another thing is the line i've heard people say "so theres no excuse to use a trainer". Excuse? interesting choice of word, another example of people trying to dictate what everyone else should do, what gives you the right to dictate things to others, your not their mother so just grow up, and if thats behond your capability then just keep your mouth shut, surely you can manage that.

The fact of the matter is that 1: FADE exists, but not in ripped copies, only legal ones so all BIS or Codemasters has done is spoil the game for those who actually paid for it, in which case you might as well return the game and then get the ripped version, its free and it works fine and you dont have to worry about FADE. Second people can use trainers if they want, its their choice, and nobody has any right to tell them otherwise, unless the trainers are being used in a multiplayer game. Third yes there are ingame cheats, but only a few and none of them have the things a trainer can provide, also some of the codes dont work in some missions and situations like in Red Hammer as pointed out before. Now by my previous sentence about people may as well return their legal copy and get a ripped version, yeah it might seem like im being ungreatful to the developers for a dam good game, but then again the developers aren't exactly being very greatful for everybodies custom by giving them something they cant enjoy. It's stupid you are expected to pay for the game, and you can only play it the way the designers tell you. I say fuck 'em, I bought the dam game and I'll play it or do with it what I like, if I want to burn the whole thing and use the disc as a coffee mat, then I will burn the whole thing ad use the disc as a coffee mat. Everyone has the right to make their own choices. NO ONE has the right to make another persons choices and thats the end of it.

Is it just me or does FADE only appear in multiplayer sessions?

I've played the game with a no CD crack before (no, it's not illegal to have a no CD crack as long as you have an original copy which is only installed on 1 PC), and only ever noticed the FADE message when playing multiplayer...

Oh, and for the record I often download no CD cracks for games I have bought, not for illegal purposes but so I can fire a game up at any tme without digging through my cluttered house for the CD...also, I often drag my PC around to friends houses for LAN sessions too, and I don't want to drive for half an hour and then realise "oh shit, I forgot the CD!".

I've said it before, and I'll say it again..FADE sucks. I think game designers are getting ridiculous with their protection measures. Just accept that a certain amount of your product is going to be pirated and include it in the sales price {oh wait, you already do that!!!}. Geez, not even hugely expensive packages like MS Office, Visual Studio etc. etc. have the same level of copy protection BS as games do these days.

I've gotta stop checking this thread, I just keep getting more pissed off the more I read.  mad.gif For the record I'm not an advocate of games piracy, I just get really annoyed when copy protection starts adversely effecting legal owners.