Sign in to follow this  
RogueRunner

Mods and online play

I posted a question in the troubleshooting section about not being able to play online with the FDF soundmod installed and the topic was locked by a moderator.

Now for n00bs like me I would have no idea if it's possible or not to play with things like sound mods installed on default online servers. Instead I get a message to contact FDF support. Now someone please enlighten me. If there is no problem with a mod, any mod can you play online with it even if it's not installed on the server? Things like sounds would be ok'ish I would think but obviously mods with new skins, helicopters and the like would not be possible. Is this correct?

If a mod locks your topic you probably shouldn't start another.

The only way to use a mod online if the server does not have it is with a replacement mod that swaps out models. You might get kicked for it depending on the server.

hmmm, this is a forum regarding question related to the game is it not? If I do not know if a mod can make it so that I cannot play online this would be the place to find that out is it not? Not everyone has had OPF since the dawn of time and is experts in the ins and outs of how it works!

If it's the soundmod that causes this then so be it but then it could be explained better. I am not trying to be difficult here, just trying to find out more about how things work in this game.

Yeah the thread locking here is very heavy-handed, however it's not my forum and it's not my rules.

My understanding is that like needs to play with like, so if you start the game under a mod you can only join other games that also started with the same mod. There might well be some subtle variation on this regarding games started with multiple mods.

My understanding is that the FDF soundmod is potentially client-side only, meaning that you SHOULD be able to play in any other game as only the sound effects on your local machine are affected. This is how they have implied it anyway, but I think that this is not the case. In OFP I had tweaked animations etc and I could join any other game even those without it, but I saw subtly different animations ingame from everyone else. However this wasn't implemented as a mod but as an addon.

Quote[/b] ]hmmm, this is a forum regarding question related to the game is it not?

The troubleshooting section is meant to answer questions regarding Arma issues as it is straight from the box or issues with patches or product-related hardware problems. If BIS opened the troubleshooting section for Mods aswell everyone would loose overview and the ones who have actually problems with the BIS product would have low chances that their issue gets adressed.

If you are running into problems after you have installed an unofficial Mod , you should in the first place adress the issue at the Mod´s - Forum or search for solutions on their webpage.

Mods mostly have ReadMe´s with them that contain URL´s for contact and support.

Don´t be lazy and read them. That´s what they are for.

Moving to A&M discussion. There is probably a FDF thread there you should use.

If you have a problem with a mod locking your topic, as always you should pm the moderator.