Sign in to follow this  
Jabbah

1.05 Causes performance Hits.

I'm no PCpro so I don't really understand in which values I am able to change teh virtual memory Heetseaker suggested, without blowing up my pc, of that's even possible ...

Secondly I also don't really know what risks cahnging AGP thing gives

None its nothing to do with over clocking, you aint going to blow up your pc by changing the aperature size smile_o.gif

this is a quote from another site:

agp aperature is a chunk of system ram allocated to the video card to use to store textures. it is considered slower, due to the fact it has to cross the agp and system bus in order to get to processing in the video card for display.

it once was really handy. but now not so much. the setting in the bios is basically a max value. old style recomendations for settings were half of your total sytem ram.

now i say more appropriate would be a quarter of your video card ram.

Just adding to this for a another data point.  I have a 8800GTX card and Core 2 Duo CPU and I had the FPS drop with the 1.05 patch.

I've gone back to 1.04 for now as the difference is quite noticable for me.  Not a big deal as I know from past BIS titles they'll keep patching, improving, and adding content.

I don´t know if this has been mentioned or not but the fps-drop people are experiencing might be due to the removal of mouse-lag in 1.05. I´m not sure how this works but there are game-engines where you can choose if the mouse is to be fully synced (=less performance but no mouse lag) or out of sync (mouse lag, but performance can go up by as much as 15+fps). Most known is this setting in all UnrealEngine2.0/2.5 games (splintercell-series, AmericasArmy, UT2004 etc etc).

So while we might be getting lower performance, mouselag is gone (at least for me - compleatly gone, but i also notice the performance hit). And in my opinion, this game cant deal with mouselag as that kills you (unlike in other games, like TES: Oblivion).

Hmmm...it might be nice to have an option to turn that new feature off since I don't have any mouse lag in 1.04 and hence would no need for it in 1.05.

Heh, that is of course if that's what's causing the issue.

Yeah, I'm having a blast in 1.04!  I keep going to 1.05 to try it again and see if I can fix my problem, but it always ends up the same way.  Its frustrating that it works so well for me in 1.04 but I can't play 1.05 for more than 10 minutes with it slowing down... which is a bummer cause I was looking forward to playing some multiplayer.  Being a programmer myself, it feels like they've possibly got a memory leak occurring with the way they handle textures, which explains why everyone is getting more performance if they drop texture size and why 8800 owners who have the 768Meg variants are having little to no troubles.

Is there any report from BIS on the status of this?  I'm beginning to feel like they're just ignoring us here, especially with what Maruk has already said in this thread.  I really hope they fix it in a small hotfix patch or something.

lol i dont know where your coming from but i have an 8800gtx and the game runs like crap!

the textures are all blockey and messed up 768 meg dont make a bit of diffrence.

I can play under 1.4 o.k. but 1.5 just crashed to desktop! confused_o.gif

My Little Story:

I was running Vista64 with 8800GTX, specs are in my signature... and I simply gave up on it after 1.05...

The problems I had:

- Low Performance

- If ArmA Crashed, about  2 out of 3 times, it took the whole system down with bluescreen: Process has Locked Pages

- Missing Textures

This was with ANY driver version on Vista.

My Simple Conclussions:

- Nvidia Drivers for Vista suck, at the very least the 8800drivers

- ArmA is written and tested on XP, and has no Vista Certification, this means that most issues are to be expected on Vista and that the support will not be that high (I suspect BIS taking Vista as very low priority due to the ratio/ammounts of XP players and the amount of Vista Players)

- 1.05 Code changes seem to lead to more problems on Vista

I'm back on XP32 now.. and it's a dream come true, none of the above problems hit me anymore.

Another thing I found out:

The missing textures DO seem to have to do with CPU and not Videocard, at least in some cases...

My test case: Play a cpu-heavy mission (loads of scripts running etc)... It gave me low fps but especially many missing textures, if I tried it in the ingame server on my own.

If I Upload the mission to a server and run it then... the texture problem was not there...

ergo... it seems that if the CPU is heavily loaded, the GPU texture problems come or become more apparant/worse...

yes i know how you feel of have exactly the same problems

dont know, i have no problem run 1.05 (exept ATI bug)

i bin running 1.04 on Sapphire X1950 PRO 512MB on 1600x1200

and right now runing 1.05 on ATI X1950 CF in tandem with ATI X1950 XTX look good, i use same resolution 1600x1200

perhaps my solution is:

AMD Athlon X2 4800+ (dual core 2.3 Ggh each  core)

Saphire Pure Crossfire advantige motherboard (with AMD580 chipset)

ATI X1950 CF   (wich is ATI Radeon™ X1950 Uber Edition)

ATI X1950 XTX (wich is ATI Radeonâ„¢ X1950 Uber Edition)

supported by

BFG 128MB PhysX card

and only 1GB RAM (Corsair PC5400)

P.S. i would say, not drivers suck for Windows Vista, its whole operation system sucks, u know for fact, u need wait at least 1,5 year b4 MICROSOIFT fix all bugs in Vista, i not planing use Vista untill Microsoft stop supporting XP.

reading through a lot of posts (but not all) it seems people with Ati cards have more problems then the nvidia. I myself have a geforce 7900gs, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200 and 3 gigs of ram. Everything is running smooth and im well happy, the game is true beauty. I recommend getting at least 2 gig to run the game as i noticed when running arma with 1gig it used about 90% of my ram, which seemed to drop the framerates.

8800's have driver issues currently so please dont blame BIS for that!

Quote[/b] ]8800's have driver issues currently so please dont blame BIS for that!

So when it is the 8800 drivers why was it working with 1.02, 1.04 and not with 1.05?

For every single computer I have installed, I always have forced swap file size to be around 1GB so the file keeps defragged. This has been a long time recommendation in various web sites so maybe others do it aswell.

Now yesterday I changed swap to 2GB and it seems the texture problems disappeared!

Previously:

1GB mem, 1GB swap

in game memory use both 100% in use, alt+tab required to keep the game playable.

Now:

1GB mem, 2GB swap

in game memory usage 900MB and 700MB, no alt tabbing required.

This is funny, how can the same map use now less memory than before... But the game for the first time now is very playable and shows a lot of promise.

Some other settings, 1360x768, textures high, models high, postprocessing off, shadows off, AA off, AF normal.

These slowdowns are definately not about graphics card memory, I have 7800gs with 256MB and the game just flows smoothly now. Previously it run a few minutes then started to choke very bad until alt+tab.

hey Airstar,

how do you do this swap thing you're talking about? i have nvidia 7950 GT 512MB with 2 gigs ram. how and what should i do/set it to?

Yea i checked my Virtual Memory settings today and noticed they'd been set to Intial : 2046 / Maximum 4092.

Anyway after following this Tweaking Companion from  http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html i've now set my Pagefile settings to 2560.

I asked in a tech forum as well earlier, and i was told that it's best to have both the Intial and Maximum settings the same.

I haven't booted into Arma yet, but i'll let you know if it makes any difference.  crazy_o.gif

edit:- Well i tried it, made zero difference lol

I still cant play Armed assault, even having owned it for almost a month now :|

Really not impressed.

My main issues:

HD accessing constantly (yes its all been defragged)

REALLY bad framerates (10-20FPS in city)

Bad Fog at distance.