Sign in to follow this  
Albert Schweitzer

CTD when entering Multiplayer session

I dont know why but I simply can not enter any multiplayer session at all, and starting a server myself leads to a crash too. This happens regularly and only during 1 out of 20 attempts I was able to join a server and play. Of course I make sure I try to enter a server that runs on the same version. I choose a server from the list -> 1 second loading screen -> CTD!

I realy cant identify the problem, I doubt it is the ports cause any other Multiplayer game works fine.

I am opening this thread because I simply couldnt find any message on this board and others that would solve my problem. And why the hell did it work twice without a problem, but failed the other fourty times?

I mean I could wait till Friday, but reading the patch notes I cant identify a line that clearly adresses my problem.

Any help? I would already feel much better if I wouldnt be the only one around with this bug (I call it a bug cause it is the only game I have problems with)

X2 4200

7900 GTX

2 Gig Ram OCZ

DFI SLI-DR Expert

Crashes that solely occur when trying to connect to servers, or when trying to create a server, may be caused by misconfigured firewalls combined with poor exception handling of the application that crashes to desktop. ( Instead of returning a valuable error message )

I think I read a thread where someone had a similar problem, and someone suggested it might be caused by the onboard ethernet adapter. Not 100% sure.

*EDIT* Check THIS out.

Crashes that solely occur when trying to connect to servers, or when trying to create a server, may be caused by misconfigured firewalls combined with poor exception handling of the application that crashes to desktop. ( Instead of returning a valuable error message )

I think I read a thread where someone had a similar problem, and someone suggested it might be caused by the onboard ethernet adapter. Not 100% sure.

*EDIT* Check THIS out.

Yes I am using an Ethernet Controller, but the thread never clearly pointed out, what steps someone should take to work around it.

My laptop crashes to a blue screen with a driver stop error code everytime. Sometimes I can get in a session but it crashes usually in a minute or two....so no, you are not alone.

I usually CTD when I change some settings in-game. When I leave them alone no CTD. Allso Alt-tapping causes CTD's. I think the patch fixes alot of these and there's so much more they did that don't show in changelog, like Maruk said. xmas_o.gif

Albert, you are not the only one getting these CTD's. My system is similar to yours:

X2 4400

DFI SLI-DR Expert

2x1024 Mushkin Redline

7950 GX2

Xtreme Music

Raptor X HD

I am using the latest chipset drivers, 93.71 vid drivers, no AV, the nV firewall is configured for ARMA, the Secure Networking is configured to "Not Offloadable", all ports for ARMA are configured in Secure networking as "Not Offloadable" and my router is configured to port forwarding for the ARMA ports and the arma.exe.

I have also submitted a bug report to BIS. I have not received a formal answer.

What I have found, is that using an overall quality of High and setting Terrain, Object and Texture to high or normal, seems to cause the CTD in both MP and single player.

For MP, I set overall quality to Very High, View Distance to Maximum, all other setting to Low, except blood. Blood is on high. AA is disabled. This seems to stop the MP from CTD, except, when I get kicked from a server. If I get kicked from a server, the game seems to CTD.

Now for SP, I set Overall Quality to High, View Distance to 1700m, Terrrain, Object and Texture to Low, AA to Disabled, Blood=High and everything else to Normal, I don't seem to crash to desktop.

For now, that seems to work. I have 2 separate profiles, one for MP and one for SP missions. Read over the 1.05 patch change log. Hopefully this patch resolves the random CTD. A lot of CTD issues seem to be addressed with this patch. After Friday, we'll have the 1.05 path!

Edit: One more note, in the main nVidia control panel, named "adjust image settings with preview", put this to "let 3D application decide". I have found that adjusting this to anything other will crash ARMA, especially for Multiplayer.

I use nHancer to set-up an ARMA specific profile. I set SLI mode to AFR. I also set V-synch to app controlled and use Riva Tuner to force Triple Buffering. I find that this works real well. Pretty much everything in this profile is set to application controlled, except SLI mode. I get SLI mode to function and good performance using nHancer. I'm also running the game at 1920x1200 resolution in 4:3 pulldown mode. I can run 16:10, but 4:3 is native to my CRT monitor.

Edit #2:

It's down to the internet code for the game. I still crash randomly. There's no pattern. I can play for a couple of hours, then suddenly, I CTD. Wait for tie patch tomorrow.

Yeah, well, I have the same problem here. Computer reboots each time I try to connect to MP server.

Don't buy this thing about firewalls and ports. I have a clean SP1 install, no firewall, all ports forwarded to PC and all games work fine (inc. OFP) with exact same configuration (disk imaged).

It is a bug, and only a bug. And there is no mention of it in the 1.05 patch. And I've browsed through the forums, and nobody from Bohemia ever asked a question about the problem, so my guess is they know about it.

Hey guys,

I'm in the same boat and it piss me off big time !!!

my config:

AMD 64 dualcore 4400+

DFI SLI-DR mobo

Geforce 7950 Gx2

2 Go of ram

it's impossible to join a server it systematically CTD

i've got no firewalls running, i've tried to lower my resolution ingame, updating drivers, voodoo dancing LOL  banghead.gif  banghead.gif  banghead.gif

I'm gonna cry soon lol someone got finally an anwser to this problem huh.gif?

oh by the way i've installed the new patch 1.05 and it still not working banghead.gif

FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!

it works for me if you do have an error bitching about kernel32.dll

http://developer.creative.com/article....&aid=46

download the OpenAL installer and run it !!!

now I can join servers and play that's awsome !!! 2 days of fighting YAY  yay.gif  yay.gif  yay.gif  yay.gif  yay.gif  yay.gif

just look at this link if you don't trust me lol

http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=11