Sign in to follow this  
Catch22

Direct Communicator oven Net

First of all, thank you BIS for the new ironsites. I love them!

I'm excited with the progress that the game is making, and before the US release, there's just one more thing I really want. I like the Voice over Net feature, and I REALLY like the fact that it works. I noticed though that VON doesn't really seem to work if you are in the Direct Communicator channel. Now in chat, that channel can be used for talking directly to nearby players, and it's there to simulate talking directly to someone instead of over the radio. I think it would be AWESOME if you could reserve this channel for direct VON too!

By direct Voice over Net, I mean that the sound of my voice will come from my body, and it should fade the further from me you are. I don't know of any game to date that has implemented this kind of communication, yet the advantages to the voice-in-the-ear approach are quite obvious. Here's an example of one of the uses:

***Before***

Player 1: "Hey, Come here"

Player 2: "Where are you?"

Player 1: "To your left"

Player 1: "No turn around"

Player 2: "I don't freakin see you!"

Player 1: "Ok.. Just.. Ok, look southwest"

Player 2: "Ok..."

Player 1: "Now look up, I'm on the thing"

Player 2: "Oh I see you"

***After***

Player 1: "I'm hit! MEDIC!"

Player 2: "I don't see you! Where are you?"

Player 1: "MEDIC! I'm over HERE!"

Player 2: "I see you! Hold on"

Ok, might be a bit exaggerated, but not by much. You can instantly and easily determine the aproximate direction and distance to the speaker, and help him with whatever he needs. This is one thing TeamSpeak or any other third party program CANNOT do, and is why integrated VOIP is nessesary.

I haven't mentioned wether or not enemy units in adversarial games should be able to hear you, but frankly I don't care ether way. I actually don't mind if the enemy can hear me. If I have something I need to say that I don't want the badguys to hear, I'll switch channels. It would be hillarious to taunt an enemy, and have him run straight into an ambush. smile_o.gif

I agree, that would be cool if the direct communication works with the VOIP.

Suma states as follows;

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=57593

Quote[/b] ]
as your ingame muppet lips will move with your words, and that you not only hear the speech from the "radio", you also hear the speech if you get close to the speaker(that whats good to have a built in VOIP system)

This is one of the features which are recently in the development for the next patch.

That's great news Pierrot, if he was refering to both counts.

If they can make it so you hear the voices from the nearby units when they talk over the radio, then it should be no problem to do the same for Direct Communication. smile_o.gif

Hopefully someone Official can comment more on this. biggrin_o.gif