Sign in to follow this  
memnoch

Motorcycles

Anyone noticed when in 3rd person and you lean over to go round a corner that you actually rotate around your shoulder/head and not the wheels? It just looks wrong and might explain why they are such a horrible ride.

Is it that that's where the camera is achored that is creating that effect or is it that the wheels are actually physically sliding across the ground?

The wheels slide when you turn! If you go to 3rd person and they accelerate away and turn you will see the wheels swing like the bottom of a pendulum, with the point of rotation at either the head or shoulders. It looks wrong and worse when in 1st person trying to ride them. To be honest the ride is so incredibly jumpy, even on tarmac that they are no fun at all. Its as if they have no suspension at all.

It looks wrong and worse when in 1st person trying to ride them. To be honest the ride is so incredibly jumpy, even on tarmac that they are no fun at all. Its as if they have no suspension at all.

I've not noticed the sliding, but I will agree 100% on the poor 1st person view.

It was bouncing and shaking all over the place. I'll de-pbo the bonus wheeled3.pbo and see if altering the damper strength helps, but atm the 1st person perspective on the bikes is terrible confused_o.gif

I hate to double post, but this is new info, so a thread bump is in order:

I've spent the last *insert however long between this and my previous post* fiddling with the config for the M1030. I came up with:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">damperDamping = 1.25;

damperForce = 1.25;

damperSize = 0.15;

This does slightly distort the front suspension forks on the bike, but with the regular damper size of 0.05, it is pretty much impossible to get rid of the shake.

The original config was:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">damperDamping = 3;

damperForce = 1;

damperSize = 0.05;

Anyho, this give the best balance of non-shakeyness and not totally destroying the front forks. It IS a dirtbike afterall, and the suspension travel should be more like 0.2 (it may seem small, but it makes a BIG difference). So if the dampers can be set up to act inline with the front suspension forks, rather than vertically, this problem is moot.

How much can you really change the physics in this sim ?? Sorry to go OT..........

For example would it be possible to work on the physics of say the skoda and actually make it handle more like a porsche or something, also how deep are the physics controlling the tyres etc?

Would be very interested to know as I work in physics elsewhere in the industry and would love to do some mod work on this title if there is a decent level of control.

tx

In OFP the physics were not very adjustable.

For example you couldn't change the accel rate,braking or anything like that

I wouldn't get too excited about a Porsche yet

Sorry that was just an example to see how flexible the system is, thanks anyways for the reply, I kinda figured this would be case which is a shame sad_o.gif