Sign in to follow this  
Commie

Glad that BIS didn't give in to 'Ragdoll'

And there the same issues that raised during the dynamic building destruction discussions appear : with different ragdolls and anims effect applied on different entities depending on factors local to player's PC, <span style='color:red'>how do you synchronise everything in MP?</span>

Every multiplayer game I've played featuring ragdoll physics I've asked my buddy:

"Haha, do you see that guy?! Looks like he's been shot in the nuts...! He's slumped on that wall holding his nuts..."

His reply:

"Uh, he's just lead on his back for me, Look i'll stand over him"

And he stands about 2 meters away.... crazy_o.gif

So I not sure if you can with ragdoll.

Well, in that case ... biggrin_o.gif Go for it! xmas_o.gif If ofc it is still scalable to the typical mass murders happening in ArmA. Like a badly hurt BMP, all AI disembark fast, but too late, and boom tounge2.gif Repeat multiple times at the same time on a heavy mission, that can makes for quite a few calculations.

And there the same issues that raised during the dynamic building destruction discussions appear : with different ragdolls and anims effect applied on different entities depending on factors local to player's PC, <span style='color:red'>how do you synchronise everything in MP?</span>

Every multiplayer game I've played featuring ragdoll physics I've asked my buddy:

"Haha, do you see that guy?! Looks like he's been shot in the nuts...! He's slumped on that wall holding his nuts..."

His reply:

"Uh, he's just lead on his back for me, Look i'll stand over him"

And he stands about 2 meters away.... crazy_o.gif

So I not sure if you can with ragdoll.

This is of course one of the drawbacks, but for simplicity the position of the unit can be synchonised at the very least. Some sort of synching mechanism could then be employed stealthily to make all bodies identically laid out in each MP player's gameworld, so that one guy who thinks he's hidden behind a body (does anyone do this?) is not unnecessarily exposed to another player who sees a different body pose.

I'm sure it's not beyond the wit of man smile_o.gif

I want a game with ragdoll physics blended to the first few frames of a death animation, dismemberment, and a super cheesy physics engine. I long to toss a grenade into a room and then see arms and legs flap by like fleshy birds made of steak and cloth.

For any ragdoll object, there is an "equation of state" that's the angles of all the joints and the position of the center object.

It's true in most MP games with ragdoll the data isn't synchronized between clients. Synchronizing data would require probably 10x as much data per dead body as a static death. 1 position and 19 joint parameters instead of the old 1 position 1 death animation used.

Altogether I'm not sure if the performance hit (how many times do people do such a ragdoll animation during a 2 hrs game? 100 times?) would be that steep.