Sign in to follow this  
damned303

XYZ Coordinates

Is there a way of getting the XYZ coordinates for a player in the editor? What I want to do is move about the buildings/map and when I find the position that I want for the soldier/item to be placed get the XYZ coordinates so that they can be added to the script.

You can use a hint to find the location but there is no where in the editor to get/change it.

Add this to the unit init field

hint format["Position:%1", getpos playername]

There are some other examples on the OFPEC FAQ

What i usually do for exact object placement is,

ALT + TAB out of the game,

open the mission.sqm of the mission.

Do a search (CTRL+F) for player (or the object with the desired position) until you find

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class Item0

{

position[]={14082.471680,33.242897,10018.473633};

id=121;

side="WEST";

vehicle="SquadLeaderW";

player="PLAYER COMMANDER";

leader=1;

rank="SERGEANT";

skill=0.466667;

text="";

init="";

};

Then i copy the position out and paste it into a script.

You have to swap the y and z coordinates though, since BIS for internal reasons use different axes than the Direct3D standard.

That means that for example:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

becomes:

_pos=[14082.471680,10018.473633,33.242897]

So now you can either use setposASL the object with

that position or for setpos you leave out the height:

_pos=[14082.471680,10018.473633]

You can of course,like Hoz described, write down the position, that the hint gives you, but i am usually too lazy to write down all the digits onto a piece of paper biggrin_o.gif

Hope that helps you achieve what you are looking for.

Charon

How can I return an absolute (sea level) altitude of an object if the object is under or on top of a bridge? I have tried getposASL, but it considers sea level as the roof of the bridge just like regular getpos.