Sign in to follow this  
Jabbah

Right, here are the main problems for AA

Ok, ive been trying to play AA for the past few days now, but ive had to give up, its really unplayable. Here are the problems ive had.

1. Really BAD fog at a distance of around 1km, seems a fair few other people have this problem also.

2. Really BAD hard drive swapping, i have 2gb of RAM and AA refuses to use more than half of it, prehaps if it preloaded all the info into RAM before the mission, we wouldnt have this problem, this really makes the game unplayable for me.

3. Really bad FPS, on a spec that i have, getting 20-30fps in a city is terrable,  i dont know if its a driver issue. have tried differant settings, and view distances, changes are roughly 10fps tops.

My specs are:

Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 3Ghz

Geforce 8800 GTS @ 600core 900Mhz RAM.

2gb DDR2 667Mhz RAM

4x 80gb SATA II HDs in RAID 0.

ASUS P5W64 WS PRO motherboard.

At the moment the game is totally unplayable for me and im really disopointed, if anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

welcome to the club mad_o.gif

I try to get it running since the german release, with a very similar rig, no way.

Lucky guys, you can at least run it -_-' my game just glitches like hell shooting out arrow like objects all over the screen making it totally unplayable for me sad_o.gif

I've got about exactly the same spec and have the same problems - plus the blurry textures all over the plance mad_o.gif

I was impatient and downloaded the German one, applied the German 1.02 patch and then the conversion to English patch 0.9v (congrats to the guys who did a great job on this and devoted their time to it notworthy.gif).

Tried it already on different settings and it works fine for a couple of minutes but then the lag starts, graphics on buildings and NPC's not loading properly, well all the things that have already been mentioned lots of times before. Alt+tabbing doesn't really help much.

Not to mention bad triggers, bugs and pathfinding probs.

I have for everything the latest drivers, the only thing that's running in the background is my sound software, setpoint logitech software for mouse and keyboard and my internet connection and no spyware to be found.

Tbh, I keep my computer very clean with ccleaner every day and do a defrag twice a week. Scan for viruses once a week.

My comp:

- Windows XP Pro SP2 build 2600

- A8V Deluxe motherboard

- AMD Athlon 64 3500+

- 2 Gig of DDR Ram at 400 Mhz

- Audigy ZS2 soundcard

- 6800 Ultra 256MB graphic card

I know its a different game but just to let you know, I can play Oblivion with all the enhancement mods installed with everything maxed out.

Have no problems with other games either whatsoever and never had.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not critizing on ArmA because I like the game a lot and I'm sure I'll enjoy it for a long time but before I can play it in a decent way I'll put it aside (screwed myself there by not being patient rofl.gif) and hope that we won't have to wait too long for a couple of patches that'll hopefully make the game more playable.

Maybe they should have waited a bit longer to release it but what's done is done and maybe they had their reasons the release it this way.

Am I disappointed, of course but I'll keep my fingers crossed that in the end we'll have one of the better games out there.

Okay, here's another data point (I have the UK version):

I get the hard disk swapping and, what really bothers me: blurry textures, and trees keep going all funny and less detailed.

I have all the settings maxed out (see my system below). I haven't measured the framerate but it seems smooth.

I tried turning the texture detail down from "very high" to "high", and I've also tried reducing the visibility from 10km to 7km. That helped a little bit, I think, but did not fix the problem. It seems the blurry textures are worse at first and after about ten minutes of playing they get better, but still the odd building is blurry.

If I stand still for a few seconds the textures eventually load and the trees become detailed. If I spin round 180 degrees the disk starts up, buildings and cars go blurry, and trees become less detailed. Then after a few seconds textures and trees resolve to full detail. If I spin round 180 degrees back to my original position it starts again: everything is blurry.

If it wasn't for the trees I'd say it was a texture caching problem, but more than that must be going on. Perhaps it's a wierd level of detail bug, or perhaps a memory issue causes the game to switch models to a lower LOD.

I didn't see any of these problems with the demo.

Vista is very new; x64 is supposedly less compatible; and the Nvidia drivers for Vista are new (I currently have version 100.64) -- so all kinds of potential sources of problems there...

I understand that the 'out of graphics memory' bug will be fixed in the patch for the UK version.

However, there are numerous mission bugs and they're generally low quality compared to OPF. I have CTDs regardless of settings at certain points in the missions.

As far as I can gather there are more people with problems than without. I've been raving about this for months and have been sorely disappointed. With graphics down low I have a marginally better looking version than OPF with less weapons and crap missions.

There is no way I'm going to recommend people buy this on our numerous clan forums.

I don't want to be to negative over this and so I'll be patient for the next patches, but those that ask me "should I buy the game" I simply say, wait until some issues get fixed before you do so.

But otherwise I certainly recommend it to them.

I'll wait until it gets a little more stable or most people will just bin it.

I don't if you're a member of many gaming groups but the amount of new mulitplayer games that come out is staggering. Getting people to pick one up that you like and run with it isn't easy. Especially if its buggered.

When it runs a bit smoother I think they will buy inot it.

Nope I'm not really in a gaming group but those who want to buy it that I know off would like to get the game and will do so eventually, I'm just telling to hold off for a little while.

There are indeed a lot of other MP games coming out, but they're probably looking for a more sim game like I do.

Do we have a ETA for any patches? im sat here with a game i bought but i cant play it sad_o.gif

I know your rig "should" run it faster, but be happy you get 30 FPS in towns. This is basically the way OFP was for awhile after it came out. It's a game ahead of it's time, basically. Try turning your viewdistance down to at least 5,000 M, you really dont need that high of a viewdistance, try it and see.

Have you tried using the -maxmem=1024 on your shortcut startup paramaters? or increasing it further? You dont want all memory allocated for ArmA or you will make it unstable as XP will crash.

If you think there is an issue with disc caching, use SystemBooster (google it, try it, see if that fixes the problem)

I found the game is utterly HDD hogging. Most of the lag I get is because of my harddisk not being able to deliver the data quickly enough. It's loading constantly.

I recommend you read these two knowledgebase articles, and take a look at the clean boot thread in this forum.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us

yeah i agree, ive got a array that delivers data at 200mb/s average and i still get ALOT of swapping, its really anoying sad_o.gif

I have basiclly the same system as the original poster specified, AMD equiv processor and 8800GTS, our systems should beable to play this flawlessly without a doubt so adjustments must be made, and bohemia are usually good for it so i would hold out hope for there future patches resolving many issues.

The texture blur i also get alot, im running on default with 3 things set to high (forget what they are), the game would be perfectly playable for me if it wasnt for aiming issues sad_o.gif.

I would also consider the current Nvidia drivers to contribute to this as Nvidia seems to have having the problem alot more than ATI users. Best bet is waiting, i run OFP on a SATAII 16mb NCQ HDD, which is high end, if it wont run well on that it isnt gonna run well atall so they will optamize it smile_o.gif.

CooLSprog