Sign in to follow this  
fasad

process of 3d modeling for OFP+ArmA

Heya,

In my time, I've done a few types of 3d modeling :

- Game models, built vertice by vertice. This was for a flight sim in the mid 90's, so maximum polycount was ~1000.

- Visual models, for architectural visualisation. Built up using primatives and booleans. Polygons where irrelevant, you just added more and more details.

- CAD. Mostly linework rather than true 3d models.

Now honestly, I have no idea how modern game models created.. For example an organic shape such as soldier? I can't imagine they would be created polygon by polygon, or with primatives? What process do you use?

I'm considering getting back into the game models, but can't imagine how to go about creating relatively high polycount organic models.

Hi

Having used state-of-the-art CAD software, I know how hard it can be to adjust to the principle of creating models in a program like Oxygen 2 Light. It is far, far from intuitive workflow or ease of use compared to for example Catia V5 or other such solid modeling programs with intuitive methods to create models.

For character modeling, one program I came across some time ago is makehuman, read about it at http://www.dedalo-3d.com/. It's not ideal for game model development, I think it creates too detailed models which must be tuned down to be usable in a game. But it's worth checking out, it is definitely a program to create character models fast.

During a practice run in OFP modeling I found it quite convenient and fast to make a model in my favourite modeling program and then importing the model into Oxygen. There is the necessary tweaking left in Oxygen but it's a good start if you get the model built up rapidly in some other program with more intuitive interface and functionalities.

I'm not an expert on modeling for OFP, those people will surely come soon to give their advices.

Baddo

I know how hard it can be to adjust to the principle of creating models in a program like Oxygen 2 Light. It is far, far from intuitive workflow or ease of use compared to for example

it's so FAR for u ? huh.gif ( omg icon_rolleyes.gif )

Sorry if I hurt your feelings towards Oxygen 2 Light, AtStWalker. If you argue against my honest opinion about O2L then you have not even seen the other programs I am talking about.

And stop editing your post towards even more stupid content, please. No need to make personal attacks.

Maybe you could now give us some useful information instead of spamming.

tools are like hammers.

if you can use a hammer you can use the tool aswell.

the tool doesnt limit you, your abilties limit you.

and wether you use XSI, modo, max, maya oxygen autocad or what ever

it wont make the model for you. it might ease it a bit in the workflow. but if you cant model in one app you wont be able to model in another app properly anyway...

that this app is better than this app is ........ pistols.gif

Oh yes, nephilim... oh yes... thank you very much.

There are many kinds of tools, right? Some tools are much better than the other tools meant for the same job. If you ignore this fact then what can I say...

icon_rolleyes.gif

what i mean is that stick to one app.

if you get accustomed with one stick to it.

belive me ive been introduced to many tools at work by now so i know what im talking about..

belive me ive been introduced to many tools at work by now so i know what im talking about..

That is just Great.

But

that this app is better than this app is ........ pistols.gif

I see a big controversy in what you are saying. If you know many tools then you must also know that many tools are not equal in terms of usability, intuitive workflow, interface, speed of development and functionalities. Actually we can't compare Oxygen 2 Light to the professional modeling tools at all, O2L is not anywhere near the same level as the other tools are. It's not meant to be, it's not, it will never be. I didn't mean to insult O2L users here, I just expressed my opinion that it is far from a good 3D modeling tool and one should use better tools if one has such tools available.

Edit: typos fixed

theres no controversy

if you are really used to an application you can just work as fast as in another app.

indeed oxygen is limited in its functions and cant be compared to pro tools like max may etc etc.

but if you are used to it you´ll stick to it.

it might take longer until you make a model but it will be more accurate.

thats what ive experienced and thats what other people tell me im working with smile_o.gif

at the end of the arma/ofp pipe-line theres always oxygen anyway..

cause you cant get your models ingame without it wink_o.gif

and about this app is better than this app...

theres always pros an cons but as i said above

if you have the routine it doesnt matter anyway