Sign in to follow this  
NVReaper

No game based in east timor.

If people are offended by INDEPENDENCE LOST, then DON'T play it when it is released. Let other people, who are NOT offended (like me), play "independance lost" in peace....

Peace,....BWAHAHAHA

"As for me trying to silence you, surely that smacks or paranoia? If I'd wanted to silence you I would have deleted the thread and blocked your IP"

Blocking IP isn't actually very effective way to ban someone (or Someone wink.gif) because with  modem  connection IP address is different every time you take connection to internet.

Ok. As far as I recall, the origins of the east timor conflict lie around genocide, with the indonesian backed group slaughtering the timorese people, and the australian troops moving in to prevent the slaughter etc. etc.

Nothing that has not been seen since the beginning of time to a variety of people, sparking millions of books, games, films, cartoons, and whatever elses you can think of.

If the game was based on nothing else than the actual encounters, you'd have missions based on a few skirmishes with no casualties to the Australians or their allies (I think?), with the closest combat casualty we had being an SAS soldier seriously injured in an ambush (who managed to return fire and kill his attacker after being hit at close range with an ak47 or similar).

It would have Australian troops moving in and taking major areas very quickly but with minimal conflict.

It would then have the massive rebuilding and humanitarian efforts.

One of the biggest skirmishes that I recall being in the media was between the indonesian militia and a patrol of ghurkas, but i dont recall there being any casualties or any real purpose to it. (militia border incursion, but going where?)

And even though it appears the guy who started this thread isnt reading the replies at the moment or any more, I'm Australian, and from what I understand, what we did was a GOOD thing, and with a few beefed up missions would potentially make a good game.

How could it be considered offensive to anyone? other than maybe the several thousand surviving east timorese? and I dont think that is their main target audience.

If it is offensive, should german people be offended with games like wolfenstein?

Actually Germans got offended with the original Wolfenstein 3D and the Nazi symbols got removed from the German version of the game.

25 posts until 2000

But the rest of the world got it...

If the east timorese would be offended, (I dont really think they would be. For the moment at least the massacres have stopped, and would occur before the game actually begins, seeming that we responded to them), lets not sell it to them! simple.

(Maybe the east timorese would like an opportunity to shoot some militia??) wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chickenman @ Feb. 05 2002,14:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If it is offensive, should german people be offended with games like wolfenstein?<span id='postcolor'>

Some Germans are i think. I am from Holland, and i like to shoot Germans. But if it were people France i would like to shoot them too. Even if it were Dutch enemy's. I entered a game once, and all the Axis were real Germans and the Allies were other people. And i know a German (who lives here in Holland) who doesn't play the game because "He cannot kill his own people. But he does not complain about ooee, iee and aaa it is still fresh and i am a german and they should never have made it and all this crap. He says Wow, the game looks great. But i will not play it. Not that i am offended, but i don't feel right killing my own race.. So There.......

hehe well if the norwegian prime minister were in an OFP expansion, then that alone would give me a mighty good reason to buy it biggrin.gif

...especially if he was the villain wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rasisti @ Feb. 05 2002,14:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Blocking IP isn't actually very effective way to ban someone (or Someone wink.gif) because with  modem  connection IP address is different every time you take connection to internet.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually it's very effective smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Feb. 05 2002,14:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually Germans got offended with the original Wolfenstein 3D and the Nazi symbols got removed from the German version of the game.<span id='postcolor'>

AFAIK it isn't a case of Germans being offended, after WW2 laws were introduced in Germany and Austria making it illegal for Nazi symbols to be displayed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">25 posts until 2000<span id='postcolor'>

Keep on posting the countdown and I'll arrange for it to be 1975 posts until 2000 smile.gif

I don't, I don't hate anyone/anything, hate is a bad thing, it envelopes people's lives until they no longer see the good and beutiful things around them that life has to offer smile.gif

who is making this expansion? make a link to where this all came from cuzz this is new to me

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Feb. 05 2002,21:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Errr have you been in a cave with Osama for the last couple of weeks? ;O)

Independence Lost<span id='postcolor'>

(sarcasism) yea thats exactly what i was doin. we were sitting at a table smoking some grass and playing pong on atari (end sarcasism) biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Feb. 05 2002,21:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Except that the site doesn't work anymore.<span id='postcolor'>

came up when i selected the link

Yes but it only has one picture. The site originally had pictures, storyline and stuff like that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Feb. 05 2002,20:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes but it only has one picture. The site originally had pictures, storyline and stuff like that.<span id='postcolor'>

Which is why I posted Avon's link.........

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Feb. 05 2002,23:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually Germans got offended with the original Wolfenstein 3D and the Nazi symbols got removed from the German version of the game.

25 posts until 2000<span id='postcolor'>

I dont think it was the fact that they where offended, its just illegal to have any form of a swastika or anything relating to nazi germany in any form of media in germany.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont think it was the fact that they where offended, its just illegal to have any form of a swastika or anything relating to nazi germany in any form of media in germany.<span id='postcolor'>

Bah, it is only a game.... I think it is stupid to remove swastika's from a WWII game. What do the Germans then have in the German version of the game.....smilies mad.gif

___

/ 00 \

O .. O

\ -- /

/-----\

| | | mad.gif

| | | |

There arnt actually any "germans" in the german version. There is the "cult of the night" or something, and you just hapen to be an allied guy invading these german people's bases who ARNT nazi's.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (christophercles @ Feb. 06 2002,09:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont think it was the fact that they where offended, its just illegal to have any form of a swastika or anything relating to nazi germany in any form of media in germany.<span id='postcolor'>

Errrr isn't that what I said a few posts back? smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (christophercles @ Feb. 06 2002,11:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There arnt actually any "germans" in the german version. There is the "cult of the night" or something, and you just hapen to be an allied guy invading these german people's bases who ARNT nazi's.<span id='postcolor'>

Geez, how pathetic this is. I'm happy i live in Holland where games do not get altered because of things that happened.

Maybe for the Austr-aliens who don't like independence lost, they can make a different version. It can still take place on Timor and make a occult group for the timoreese and a 2nd occult for the indonese. The brave Austries can save the day, hey hey. Instead of timoreese flags, they can put smilies on them biggrin.gif