Sign in to follow this  
Espectro (DayZ)

Partly destroyable buildings

denosbeano was and possibly still is working on a project that has to do with something very similar to this. However he was working on it at a more...........realistic level, basicly every brick being dynamic. As much as I love the idea, I would be afraid to see a town suddenly explode and bricks fly everywhere, therefore turning the game into a slideshow. It is a hard thing to work with and most "dynamic" destruction shown in games is usually staged, they know where the spots are so they hit them and call it "dynamic". Aside from that is the fact of "what happens when two or more pieces collide?"

Well I'm glad to say this is not an issue we need to worry about as Armed Assault has shown time and time again that this infact does exist, most noticeable with bridge segments.

Once the bridge is destroyed, depending on its type, say..one over a river, breaks into three or so parts right? And the supports start falling, yes? Well upon reveiwing this, I noticed that when a "road piece" fell onto the side of a "Support" piece, it forced the support piece down with greater speed and upon hitting another support piece, caused the second support piece to change direction and fall.

So yes the ability is there, it just needs to be planned, and I'm sure denosbeano and other talented mod makers that work on this sort of thing, can come up with some great ideas. Who knows, with the community enforcing it, we may even have "dynamic buildings" that Crysis has.

Hope you guys dont mind me digging up this old thread, but seeing as quite a few of you who posted on it are still posting on this forum I thought it would be ok.

I've had some experience with destructable buildings, particually the creation of models and textures for them, I was working with a couple of guys, a designer and a programmer and we were prototyping a destructable building system in Doom3 (IDtech4) we went the full crazy with it at first, down to individual bricks, although some of them would dissapear as if they were pulverized, we gradually optimized it to break down to small chunks of (4-6 bricks) and larger chunks (10-12 bricks)with the odd single bricks thrown in, it acually looks more realistic with some larger chunks.

It wasnt so much the polycount that killed performance, it was more the amount of phyisic's objects all doing their own thing at the same time that killed it for us, we planned to make smaller peices dissapear at a certain distance but we didnt actually get that far with it, ill try and dig up some old videos to show you guys.

heres a pic of the modular set, you can see off on the far right, the bricks in all their states

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/8871/buildingswn1.jpg

im working on some brick models right now which have been designed to be destructable, but I'd just like to start off with a few destructable brick wall models, keep it simple for testing and then evaluate wether or not to continue that method, with the possibilty of changing the method to one discussed earlier in this thread; modular building sections which swap out models relative to the amount of damage they take.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8062/grass08wn9.jpg

these are basically a re-texture of the bricks from the picture above but with only diffuse, rendered from the same highpoly models

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9112/modernruins01os7.jpg

So if any of you guys are keen to help me out with the coding, i'd be more than happy to provide assets, it would be cool to have some proper destrucable cover in arma/arma2

cheers,

mike.

Contact Spooner and/or Deano. wink_o.gif