Sign in to follow this  
Postal69

memory major issue?

Hi Guys.. ok I know when you have a faulty dimm.. its best to get it replaced... but @ the moment with it being xmas and i'm skint.. basicly after I noticed I have 2048mb of ram installed and windows is only showing 2046mb.. I thought humm somthings a miss.. so ran memtest 86... ok it passed the first few cycles fine. So left it on all night.. now I have 3 fails and 12 passes.. the 3 fails failed on test 8 which is the ones and zeros test..

is this a biggy? or do you guys think it would be ok to run like this for a few more months?

2x1 gig Geil memory one dim faulty.

The troubleshooting board is only for ArmA bugs. Moving.

Failed memory is a real bad thing.

It can affect everything on the computer, basically all calculations involving the affected memory will be wrong. It's not something that can be ignored.

Guess that was the reson for all the off-set errors and CTD I have been getting in ArmA.

Right one gig it is then  crazy_o.gif   and I'll add a Bigger page file as i'll be a gig down.

Geil seems crap 2 diffrent rigs in 2 years and one dimm out of the 2 packs of 1 gig sticks have failed. guess thats what u get for skimping.

yeah imagine this computer writing files errors on files critical to your operating system :/ It didn't need all those ones and zeros in there, did it?

Guess that was the reson for all the off-set errors and CTD I have been getting in ArmA.

Right one gig it is then crazy_o.gif and I'll add a Bigger page file as i'll be a gig down.

Geil seems crap 2 diffrent rigs in 2 years and one dimm out of the 2 packs of 1 gig sticks have failed. guess thats what u get for skimping.

Been using Geil for 5-6 years never had problems with it, both my flat m8s use it also, no problems at all.

Windows doesnt report memory correctly anyway it rounds things down ie instead of correctly reporting 1Gb as 1024Mb it reports it as 1000Mb. As for the issue your having with memory only being reported as 2046 instead of 2048 im not 100% sure on that, is the memory overclocked ? if it is set back to the default speed and see how that goes for you.

While memtest95 is an excellent tool to determine if ram is faulty, it might report error's even if your system is perfectly stable. I know for me I get errors in memtest and cant complete prime95 without errors but my system is perfectly stable often left on for days/weeks at a time without issue.

All I'd say is down clock the memory if its overclocked, try one dimm only, swap them out to determine which is fault if there is a faulty one at all. If you get no problems with either DIMM then it could be something else like motherboard drivers or worse case a faulty motherboard.

Depending on your motherboard, you might wanna double check the manual and read up on any forums you can find as some boards are unstable when the memory is in different RAM slots, like the DFI Ultra-D is more stable when ram is the orange slots compaired to the yellow ones.

Madmossy yeah think u hit the nail on the head there.. ok well tested the memory dimm one @ a time all tests passed on both.. sticks.. reseated them put them both back in.. and no errors..   sweet also ran Pc check http://www.eurosoft-uk.com/ which I nabbed ahum borrowed from work.. and all passed there also.. and found that the 2mb i'm missing on my memory was due to having memory hole enabled in the bios.. which is no biggy now i know where its gone.. but I may disable it at some pont..  

cheers for all ya input guys.

p.s Sorry Geil for slaging you off... but your customer service is still shit!

Out curiosity, did you pinpoint exactly what the problem was? Kinda sounds like it was a loose connection. Then again, I've seen some strange hardware problems in my day.

Kinda OT here but, I remember an old voodoo 5 I used to have (hot off the press at the time), and it had a *unique* problem. It wouldn't display video at all unless it had a 5 min warmup time and a restart afterwards. Worked for years like that. Last I checked a year or so ago, it *still* worked too, but still required that warmup time...

Anyways, keep a close eye on that stick, and the slot for it too. I'd suggest you take it out again, and use some canned air and blow the slots out real good too, just to be safe. If you've had one and maybe 2 sticks of ram go in the same slot, then it's the slot most likely. If the stick does go again, even after cleaning it with canned air, I'd get a cheap stick from somewhere, just to see if it happens again.

I could give another anectdote about dust causing widespread system failure, but this post is longwinded and roundabout already.