Sign in to follow this  
sbsmac

Where is the 'global scripts' folder

If necessary I'll go delving - I can make some sensible guesses about where these might live. However if someone already knows it would save me a couple of hours of faffing around....

Biki claims that exec and its relations

Quote[/b] ]... search in the mission folder, then in the campaign scripts folder and finally in the global scripts folder.

I know where the mission folder is but where are the others found ? 'Documents and settings...Arma...' or 'program files...Arma...' ?

Reading this from ups readme by Kronzky:

; The central script folder is located in your profile directory. This is either at                          ;

; \My Documents\ArmA or \My Documents\ArmA Other Profiles\[profile name]. It will most likely already        ;

; contain other folders named "missions" and "Saved". Create a folder named "scripts" in there, put the      ;

; ups.sqs script into that folder, and then you will be able to use it in any mission from the editor or     ;

; the mission menu.

Altough I don't really like that ppl would either need to download an addon or need to place a scripts package in their folders, just to play a or some missions smile_o.gif

Besides, nowadays bandwidth is pretty cheap, and proper connections are around all over... Wouldn't know any reason why to remove a few kb's from mission folders smile_o.gif

Not sure I've understood: are you saying that BIS created a directory where to put communty's made scripts for mission editing/playing pourpouse? What a weird idea.... crazy_o.gif

Klavan

Not sure I've understood: are you saying that BIS created a directory where to put communty's made scripts for mission editing/playing pourpouse? What a weird idea....   crazy_o.gif

Klavan

And why would that be a weird idea?

The idea is great, I mean, you can have the scripts only in 1 location and everytime use that location, which actually saves some space (Who cares though) and keeps the mission folders even cleaner.. You can install updates to there aswell without the need to edit many missions smile_o.gif

Problem is, this is a hell in multiplayer as then for some missions ppl need to download additional scripts and start fiddling around with them, while it is already hard enough with the addons alone :P

Thanks for the information smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Altough I don't really like that ppl would either need to download an addon or need to place a scripts package in their folders, just to play a or some missions

I should have been clearer. My intention was just to use the global scripts folder for development. I've already noticed that my missions folder is filling up with lots of different test missions which contain subtly different versions of core scripts that I've tweaked as circumstances require. I'm trying to get back to having a single copy of each script which lives in a 'known' location and which I can access from multiple test missions.

I should have been clearer.  My intention was just to use the global scripts folder for development. I've already noticed that my missions folder is filling up with lots of different test missions which contain subtly different versions of core scripts that I've tweaked as circumstances require.  I'm trying to get back to having a single copy of each script which lives in a 'known' location and which I can access from multiple test missions.

Roger That smile_o.gif

Problem is, this is a hell in multiplayer as then for some missions ppl need to download additional scripts and start fiddling around with them, while it is already hard enough with the addons alone :P

That's the point. confused_o.gif

Klavan

That's the point.   confused_o.gif

Klavan

But fact remains that for development or single player, as the world doesn't only exist out of multi player tounge2.gif (Altough i'm a 100% MPer), it could be pretty handy biggrin_o.gif

But fact remains that for development or single player, as the world doesn't only exist out of multi player tounge2.gif (Altough i'm a 100% MPer), it could be pretty handy biggrin_o.gif

I'm not sure about this. The "problem" with scripts is that most often mission designer customizes 'em for his/her own specific pourpouse thus leading to compatibility issues with an eventual script database.

Quote[/b] ]-ld_monitor by snYpir

-Airstrike script by Viriato

-Destroyed Vehicle Effect by Babalon

-Universal Flare Launcher by foolscap

-medic script by redhouse

-Spy Satellite by Vektorboson

-infoShare by General Barron

-Melee Combat by Klavan

-Firefly Script by Student Pilot (Improved slightly by Triggerhappy)

-Chaos Realistic Dammage System - Personal by Chaos

-GetBankPitch function by Dschulle

-Rapple script by xcess

-Hunted script by skumball

-AI S&D script by penguinman

-Isbodyhidden script by snYpir

-Seagull scripts by Petroizki

-firstaid.sqs by General Barron

Note: some of these files were (sometimes heavily) modified by me to suit the mission's needs.

The list above, taken from a readme of one of my previously relesed SP mission for OFP should give you an idea of what kind of problem we could encounter...

Klavan

Yes indeed ur right, haven't thought about that yet smile_o.gif

In that case, including in missions is indeed the only viable way smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I'm not sure about this. The "problem" with scripts is that most often mission designer customizes 'em for his/her own specific pourpouse thus leading to compatibility issues with an eventual script database.

Klavan, I'm actually in complete agreement with you. When I download a mission as a player I just want to play it, not spend hours trying to figure out why I have missing addons or the versions of scripts that I have are incompatible with the mission aims. I firmly believe that missions should be self-contained as far as possible. Even external addons should be versioned in such a way that different versions can live alongside each other and missions can automatically use the correct one. (This is probably a pipe-dream wink_o.gif )

However, as a _developer_ there is a strong motivation to keep all my scripts in one place so I can keep better track of them and prevent unnecessary branching.

I don't think these two things are incompatible - it just requires me as a developer to package scripts with missions before release.

However, as a _developer_ there is a strong motivation to keep all my scripts in one place so I can keep better track of them and prevent unnecessary branching.

I don't think these two things are incompatible - it just requires me as a developer to package scripts with missions before release.

This is totally understandable and I agree with you this can be an usefull way to prevent messing up things while creating missions. wink_o.gif

Klavan

Just to complete the circle:

Quote[/b] ]; The central script folder is located in your profile directory. This is either at ;

; \My Documents\ArmA or \My Documents\ArmA Other Profiles\[profile name]

My experience was that placing scripts in "\My Documents\ArmA\scripts" means that missions in your profile can't find them. Therefore you need to place scripts in "\My Documents\ArmA Other Profiles\[profile name]\scripts". So it's not a true 'global' scripts folder but it is global for the particular profile.

Actually this might be regarded as a feature for developers. You can set up a profile called 'editor' with all the scripts in the global folder then have a 'user' profile so you can check that you've copied them all to the actual mission prior to release.

I keep all my scripts stored inside "Chris OFP Script Editor" and when i need a script when making missions i always have it open, i store all the script in the Quick Scripts Section so i can easily find them and edit them if needed. Simple and Effective.

And since with this script editor a load of things are color coded is easy for me to remember..

THX CHRIS [Hope you make an ArmA version]