Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios

thanks for replying RockofSL, and yes you sounded a little blunt biggrin_o.gif

I don't wanna insist too much but :

those effect break a litle the monotony of flying (I suppose you plan in the future to fight on bigger maps than Sarah),and can always be turned off, that's why I suggested them, but I forgot one actually, water splash when the jet is close to water surface. j/k

about this variable thrust thing, I first was thinking like you, that a more realistic thrust would require a significant amount of coding and cpu,

however when trying to find an easy solution I thought about afterburners scripts that sort of amplifies your speed vector, and why could'nt this be actally done for normal propulsion, after all you can still perfecly control the plane once the engine in turned off...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_unit setVelocity[(_factor*(sin getDir _unit))+(velocity _unit select 0),(_factor*(cos getDir _unit))+(velocity _unit select 1),(velocity _unit select 2)];

- you would'nt give any sound in the config.

- thrust would be controlled with a little panel or direcly animate something in the cockpit and linked to keyboad keys.

- sound should be added according to thrust, I know that's shitty, since you wouldn't be able to control sound pitch as Arma engine does.

maybe it just doesn't worth it, but you might want to consult your scripting guru about this matter.

thanks for reading.

Guest RKSL-Rock
thanks for replying RockofSL, and yes you sounded a little blunt  biggrin_o.gif

Sorry but this one is going to be blunt again, I’m just about to rush out again. You just keep catching me at the worst times.

I don't wanna insist too much but :

those effect break a litle the monotony of flying (I suppose you plan in the future to fight on bigger maps than Sarah),and can always be turned off, that's why I suggested them, but I forgot one actually, water splash when the jet is close to water surface. j/k

I take you think we’re just going to make stock planes with little or no scripting?  This isn’t going to be the case.  Each plane will have RWR scripting, various weapon enhancements etc.  We plan on adding lots of features that will “break the monotony of flying†but in a way that will make flying in 1st person fun and challenging.

Again being painfully blunt, I’d rather have RWR, Active countermeasures, HUD enhancements and all the other things that can enhance the experience of piloting a plane than something with smoke trails.  As pretty as they would be and would get the occasional picture on the combat photography thread that’s not what we are trying to do.  Personally, and I know a lot of others feel the same way; I want aircraft that are practical, enhance my enjoyment of the game and immerse me in as realistic an environment as I can make.  We are making stuff for people to use and enjoy.  Not take screenshots of.

about this variable thrust thing, I first was thinking like you, that a more realistic thrust would require a significant amount of coding and cpu,

however when trying to find an easy solution I thought about afterburners scripts that sort of amplifies your speed vector, and why could'nt this be actally done for normal propulsion, after all you can still perfecly control the plane once the engine in turned off...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_unit setVelocity[(_factor*(sin getDir _unit))+(velocity _unit select 0),(_factor*(cos getDir _unit))+(velocity _unit select 1),(velocity _unit select  2)];

-  you would'nt give any sound in the config.

-  thrust would be controlled with a little panel or direcly animate something in the cockpit and linked to keyboad keys.

- sound should be added according to thrust, I know that's shitty, since you wouldn't be able to control sound pitch as Arma engine does.

maybe it just doesn't worth it, but  you might want to consult your scripting guru about this matter.

thanks for reading.

I don’t really need to talk to UNN about it.  Its the cumulative effect of these eyecandy scripts that concerns me.  especially smoke and particle effects.  The simple fact is that afterburning scripts and their like use a lot of CPU cycles.  They are by their very nature very fast loops that eat up CPU power very quickly.  But also by their very nature they aren’t on for very long.  

Now imagine 10 planes all with fast looping scripts on all the time flying around on a MP map.  Irrespective of the map’s size, it’s going to eat up CPU power very quickly.  I'm happy to add in afterburners and very limited smoke effects etc but not to have a lot of fast looping scripts running all the time.

Also, you have to factor in the AI. If you want Ai to use these "thrust enhancing features" you'll need to add scripted routines for them. This may also affect how well they perform. we already have issues about the AI's inability to use some aircraft.

We made the decision a long time ago not to add unnecessary scripts or scripts that did not enhance the player’s experience. We learnt a lot about what does and does not work in MP from other teams and our own projects. And we are trying very hard to ensure that we don’t repeat mistakes so we can produce the best and most useable addons out there.  I really am sorry but no amount of “insisting†is going to make us add something to our addons that may well prove detrimental to the running of the game.  There are already 100's of threads about poor performance in MP.  I really don't want to add more.

If ArmA's MP performance significantly changes with the next patches we may revisit these issues but right now I really don’t believe its sensible.

In RockofSL Signature i noticed he has two CH-47.

My questions are:<ul>[*] Will CH-47 be in this project aswell?

[*] Will any Choppers in this project be able to transport cargo like in the following pics?

[*] Wich choppers will be able to transpost any Armed Vehicles like Hummers, M113 or even ammo crates?

[*] When can we taste alittle of this peace or art?

AIR_CH-47_Australian_w_Unimog_lg.jpg

ch-47.jpg

AIR_CH-47_Dutch_Carrying_F-16_lg.jpg

HE14G2.jpg

tlcs.jpg

Guest RKSL-Rock

[*] Will any Choppers in this project be able to transport cargo like in the following pics?

[*] Wich choppers will be able to transpost any Armed Vehicles like Hummers, M113 or even ammo crates?

1 - Yes we are going to make the Chinook HC2 and HC3 (CH-47D and MH-47D hybrid)

2 - Yes underslung loads will be supported where appropriate.

3 - It depends on the aircraft but we will be putting obvious limits on the airframes.   Obviously attack,ASW class helicopters wont have underslung loads etc.  You won't be able to fit a M113 inside a Lynx etc.

4 - When its done we'll put a video together.

1 - Yes we are going to make the Chinook HC2 and HC3 (CH-47D and MH-47D hybrid)

2 - Yes underslung loads will be supported where appropriate.

3 - It depends on the aircraft but we will be putting obvious limits on the airframes. Obviously attack,ASW class helicopters wont have underslung loads etc. You won't be able to fit a M113 inside a Lynx etc.

4 - When its done we'll put a video together.

you made me so happy right now smile_o.gif

thanks! inlove.gif

edit: been looking what you guys have done and <s>pretend to do</s> read the ArmA Projects your main plan, Is really impressive notworthy.gif

Best wishes for the project.

Did I understand correctly, this system may/will also come as an addon-free set of scripts ?

Yeah, apart from the obvious difference of no visible cargo objects. I have to use map icons when dragging and dropping with the script version. But other than those two, it will work the same, with either addons or scripts.

Will any Choppers in this project be able to transport cargo like in the following pics?

This looks like an interesting thread, along with some other methods. At worst, we will use a rigid rope, with some restriction on the transporters ability to pull stunts. At best, we are hoping for something that looks and feels, more life like.

Guest RKSL-Rock
edit: been looking what you guys have done and pretend to do, Its really impressive  notworthy.gif

Pretend to do?

Will any Choppers in this project be able to transport cargo like in the following pics?

This looks like an interesting thread, along with some other methods. At worst, we will use a rigid rope, with some restriction on the transporters ability to pull stunts. At best, we are hoping for something that looks and feels, more life like.

when i posted i tought about that exact thread.

hope you guys find a way to make it natural and fully MP operational as you already mentioned.

ARMA Ropes dangling in the wind ( video ). I wonder how they work with weight in them...

Is ArmA engine that powerfull to turn this as natural as possible? icon_rolleyes.gif

edit:

Pretend to do?

yes, Your main plan!

Quote[/b] ]"Our plan is to create high quality realistic and Multiplayer compatible addons. We want to raise the standard of community made content by properly simulating the systems and equipment on all the aircraft and kit we are making."

Guest RKSL-Rock
edit:
Pretend to do?

yes, Your main plan!

Ah, i take it english isnt your first language. The proper phrase is "Plan to do".

* shy *

yes, i liked RKSL plans and if you guys can make them work properlly im sure you can fulfill anything for ArmA!

Only if i could give/share some of my positive energy for this remarkable project..

...i shut now, words are useless for what i feel right now. smile_o.gif

Just to say keep up the good work RKSL!

By the way, I doubt you remember but RockApe do you remember when you created the L96A1 and magnum version for OFP and I beta-tested them for you? I've still got them somewhere smile_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
By the way, I doubt you remember but RockApe do you remember when you created the L96A1 and magnum version for OFP and I beta-tested them for you? I've still got them somewhere smile_o.gif

Of course i remember.  i still have the emails in my archive.  A guy called Sharrow converted them recently for use in ArmA.  I did have an updated model some time ago that i had planned for ArmA.  But with the recent spluge decent weapons packs i thought i'd stick to aircraft and SAMs.

Hello RKSL, nice to see all of the updates I have been away so I could not congratulate you before.

I have one question about the cargo loads, could they be applied to troops? Nabsacks, burgens, ect. If it could be done it would have to be a burden, like the player slows down or cannot sprint or some other penalty so it encourages people to take it off and mabey hang it on their Landdie or Hummer.

Guest RKSL-Rock
I have one question about the cargo loads, could they be applied to troops? Nabsacks, burgens, ect. If it could be done it would have to be a burden, like the player slows down or cannot sprint or some other penalty so it encourages people to take it off and mabey hang it on their Landdie or Hummer.

Not with this system since it uses vehicle proxies.  You would need custom soldiers and bergan models etc but in theory it might work.  But i'm not 100% sure there are some limitations with infantry weapon proxies.  Maybe once we get the vehicle system up and running properly we'll take a proper look.

Wheres the C-130 update. biggrin_o.gif

I feel like a scratched record hehe sorry just want to see it. smile_o.gif

Wheres the C-130 update.  biggrin_o.gif

If we have something to show in a update we will show it right away! Don't worry but we just can't work on like 10 things at the same time wink_o.gif

If we have something to show in a update we will show it right away! Don't worry but we just can't work on like 10 things at the same time wink_o.gif

Not to sound rude but there has been an update promised for few weeks now.

Ive been told that there would be something shown in week but nothing appears. smile_o.gif

Wheres the C-130 update.  biggrin_o.gif

If we have something to show in a update we will show it right away! Don't worry but we just can't work on like 10 things at the same time  wink_o.gif

Ive been told that there would be something shown in week but nothing appears.  smile_o.gif

Sometimes real life eats alot of time, sorry that there has not been a update yet about the C130. I won't be long from now.

Moreover, I'd gigooly any info AT ALL, regarding your plans for the AC-130 yay.gif . For instance, the variant, proposed loadout, planned features, etc.

Gigigiddy Goo!

okthnxbi goodnight.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock

Ive been told that there would be something shown in week but nothing appears.  smile_o.gif

What I actually said last week was:

Sometime next week is the earliest anything is going to happen.

There is this thing called "real life".  It has a nasty habit of intruding on "ArmA Life".  I've had 8 days of dealing with hackers on my own and client's servers ArmA work has sadly been the lowest priority.

Now if that reason isnt good enough then you could employ the four of us to make addons.  I'm pretty sure we'd all prefer it to our normal lines of work.  My starting salary is 40k GB pounds a year I expect the others may be around the same rate if not higher.

I have been working on the C-130 this morning.  Reworking the flaps and optimising the mesh to make it easier to texture. But if thats the attitude you take I'm not really that interested in indulging you.

Guest RKSL-Rock

Project Update:

A while ago i let slip we would be making some OPFOR equipment  Well here is a very small preview.  We are making some OPFOR kit but it won't be at a direct 1:1 ratio.  By that i mean we won't be making 1 OPFOR unit for every BLUFOR unit.  The MIG-29 Fulcrum will be simulated to mirror its real world role.  There will be Air Defence and Ground Attack loadouts.  Also different varients will be available.  Right now I'm looking at:

- MiG-29SM "Fulcrum-C"

- MiG-29SMT (Product 9.17)

- MiG-35 "Fulcrum-F"

RKSL_MIG_29_1_TH.jpg  RKSL_MIG_29_2_TH.jpg  RKSL_MIG_29_3_TH.jpg

Click for Bigger Image       Click for Bigger Image       Click for Bigger Image

And Finally something for Pilots on all sides to worry about...

MIM-23 "HAWK" SAM System.  We will be embedding the FCSS & RWR scripts into these SAM addons.  Giving pilots a realistic threat and a liitle bit of hope.

RKSL_MIM23_1_TH.jpg  RKSL_MIM23_2_TH.jpg  RKSL_MIM23_3_TH.jpg

Click for Bigger Image       Click for Bigger Image       Click for Bigger Image

The HAWK is part of our existing class of Airdefence Tools:

- Rapier FSC

- Rapier FSB

- SA-2 Gainful

- SA-6 Kub

- Skyguard and ASPIDE combination

Watchout, flying no longer means you are safe!  Watch your arse!

Looks great!

Everyone should be grateful for any updates on RKSL addons. If they've said there will be an update and it doesn't occur right away then use your noggin and realise that maybe real life or whatever has got in the way temporarily. It's not like they'd still be posting in the thread if they've just decided to stop working on addons. Wait for the updates they give, and I'd rather they worked on it as they want to than to indulge the "fan" in a little info of the latest polygons they've added to the wheel-cap. I Don't mean to be fascist confused_o.gif