Sign in to follow this  
--DST-- HIGHLANDER

should you be able to move and shoot in ARMA?

There should be a "fast crawl" movement.

There is, same way you change between walk/run.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, but you need to press shift first and then w, if you do it the other way around it doesnt work, took me a while to find out tounge2.gif

Sounds like your controls are broken. Do you use standard WASD for movement?

Shift changes pace from jog to walk and from fast crawl to slow crawl. If you double tap shift it's inverted.

IIRC I use the standard controls (cant remember if i changed anything), from running to sprinting goes fine if im already running, but when im crawling i need to stop crawling first before i can 'fast-crawl'.

2xW makes me stand up and sprint away wink_o.gif

Now, I don't want to generalize here - and I'm not going to give my opinion on this thread (enough of those floating around as is), yet I can't help posting a quick deduction I was able to make out of the replies in this thread;

Note how most of the constructive and intelligent sentences are posted by the 'coop-camperz' and the more elementary abbreviated and often more insultive posts are by the 'ctflolz-only' people. Also note how a lot of these 'ctflolz-only' people seem to have a warning level which is near maximum.

Just a healthy deduction.

Quote[/b] ]Now, I don't want to generalize here

You may not want to, but you just did. wink_o.gif One should always be careful not to reach a conclusion based on a limited data-set. My observation, based on reading many threads is that there are equally offensive and immature posts from supporters of both game-types. Head over to the 'User missions-> Hexenkessel' thread if you want to see the ugly side of the Coop community. Personally, I find it rather depressing that so much energy is spent arguing about who is 'superior' when we all enjoy different aspects of the same game. At the end of the day, the more people who purchase ArmA, the more effort BIS can afford to put into the product.

Quote[/b] ]At the end of the day, the more people who purchase ArmA, the more effort BIS can afford to put into the product.

Although I share your point of view but I still find it a typical conclusion. Is BIS asking the same thing from the military they are selling VBS1 to? "Buy the stuff and *then* we make it better?"

- and I'm not going to give my opinion on this thread

Thanks for your contribution, which was a perfect zero! smile_o.gif

Why not make the anims a bit faster?

switching from rifle to pistol is the slowest thing in Arma, i can do that faster in real life and more efficiently.

Quote[/b] ]Now, I don't want to generalize here

You may not want to, but you just did.  wink_o.gif

Nope, it was (like I said) an obvious deduction. I'm neither form the Coop party or from the CTF party, though I can see both sides of the argument. I just flicked through this thread and that was a very obvious point that sprung out to me.

I tried to play ctf once or twice in ofp and hated it. Started playing it on the arma demo when I got bored of the coop map and I really like it. The netcode is great. Playing with peeps with similar, low pings I haven't got a single criticism.

I think alot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised when they get the 1.03 patch because alot of the complaints I keep hearing I just can't relate to at all. In fact I'd advise those of you who have only been playing 1.02 to download and try it. I've talked to afew people that stopped playing their 1.02 copies in favour of the demo!

After playing for afew hours I popped my head over a sandbag and nailed three baddies at about a hundred meters. They were spread out with about twenty or thirty meters between each other. I had to zoom in/out for each. It took me four or five seconds max. It takes me less than one second to get a general bead, sighted, with a distinctly average pc. I regularly prowl around the enemy town and have no problem with cqb with the current controls either. Run/walk, stop, shoot, run/walk. Simple. I would, however, like to see the pistol and rpg readying actions speeded up a tad. I would also love to see the sprint action interupt any current action such as pistol drawing or nading, if only to stop the moans. Saying the new controls gives too much power to campers is abit silly. Saying they are a game breaker is just f***ing rediculous. Sorry, but it is.

Like mentioned, camping has it's own problems.

1: nades are deadly. Deadly. This means a camper will be dead soon after he makes his first kill if he stays in a place that has a concealed/uncovered approach within nading distance. This is especially true for roof camping. One camper can't possibly cover all four plus approaches to his tent. Easy to loft a nade onto a rooftop.

2: The bigger the area a camper covers, the more area he has to cover. ie the more area there is for someone to spot him from and effectively get the drop, or afew free shots, on him. This isn't a de_dust type game where a sniper only has to worry about what is in front of him down an alley.

3: Camping a narrow field of view such as a street or a valley will lower your value to your team and lead to people flanking you, probably taking you to point 1.

4: Flag campers will generally find that people coming for the flag won't dive at it, they will prowl around it for at least afew minutes. When the camper has been staring at a flag for seven minutes with nothing to do and is in a predictable spot within one hundred meters of the flag I don't rate his chances much against a pumped up, cautious assault team or even a solo assault.

5:I could go on but you get the idea. Besides, camping is boring. Talking about it even more so. Campers present a threat that makes you think about the terrain and use your head to combat.

Bring them on, I say smile_o.gif

Someone mentioned that he was going to look at making a map that substitutes flags for objectives. Couldn't agree more. All the time I've been playing ctf my mind has been ticking over with ideas for making it better. Lack of scoreboard (or a different score system), objs instead of flags (objs could be retrieval, destruction, assassination, escape etc), limited spawns (spawn times, spawn areas, spawn amounts) are some things that would flesh out an otherwise pretty vacuuous experience.