Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Flight

Shilka firing

When firing the cannons of the Shilka there´s only one of the 4 cannons actually firing, the others have only a muzzleflash.

My questions would be: Is this moddable in any way because of the new multiple gunner thing? I thought it might be possible to add this.

Because when firing the Shilka it always fells some kind of wrong. We had this problem in OFP too.

It seems that the AH-6 has the same problem...

No, multiple turrets does not necessarily mean multiple muzzles. It MIGHT be possible, but I don't know, and honestly I don't really see it as all that important (for the Shilka at least, since the gun barrels are so close together).

Yeah... they're merely 20cm or so apart and fire 1-by-1 anyways. Would be sort of cool of course to see a "box" of tracers coming at ya... crazy_o.gif

It might be a waste of AI to put 3 additional gunners in there

to actually have all 4 barrels firing rounds because each additional turret-class needs one gunner. It seems that the engine allows only one barrel per weapon. We will find out soon from BIS.

My ArmA experiments have shown that an additional gunner only engages targets that the primary gunner is targetting in the same moment, so it might be actually only one targetAI for the whole vehicle, who knows.

The config features different selections from the p3d, it would be probably easy to define the additional selections (like in the old memory LOD) once o3 is out.

class AddBarrel : MainTurret {

body = "Turret_2";

gun = "Gun_2";

animationSourceBody = "Turret_2";

animationSourceGun = "Gun_2";

animationSourceHatch = "";

selectionFireAnim = "zasleh_1";

gunBeg = "usti hlavne_1"; // endpoint of the gun

gunEnd = "konec hlavne_1"; // chamber of the gun

};

It might be a waste of AI to put 3 additional gunners in there

to actually have all 4 barrels firing rounds because each additional turret-class needs one gunner. It seems that the engine allows only one barrel per weapon. We will find out soon from BIS.

My ArmA experiments have shown that an additional gunner only engages targets that the primary gunner is targetting in the same moment, so it might be actually only one targetAI for the whole vehicle, who knows.

The config features different selections from the p3d, it would be probably easy to define the additional selections (like in the old memory LOD) once o3 is out.

class AddBarrel : MainTurret {

body = "Turret_2";

gun = "Gun_2";

animationSourceBody = "Turret_2";

animationSourceGun = "Gun_2";

animationSourceHatch = "";

selectionFireAnim = "zasleh_1";

gunBeg = "usti hlavne_1"; // endpoint of the gun

gunEnd = "konec hlavne_1"; // chamber of the gun

};

That's a very impractical solution. You'd probably get some very ugly results, and the guns won't be connected and move together (at least not up and down). The best you can do is simulate all the guns firing individually, while you only have one real muzzle where the rounds originate.

@KyleSarnik

That's the big problem the 4 gunners would probably not fire simultaneous rounds and of course it would be difficult/impossible to make them convincingly move the barrels in the same direction. Still it's a lot of work for a subtle effect that can only be noticed when you are actually observing the Shilka firing from very close range or with binoculars.

And AIwise you end up with 1 commander AI, 1 driver AI plus 4 gunner AIs per Shilka.