Sign in to follow this  
Chriz6662

Units 3Ds Max

hi!

How many Units in 3Ds Max is one inch in ArmA?

I need it for measuring issues.

To model a House or a weapon at accurate dimensions.

cu

chriz

If 3DS Max is better then crap there is probably a menu that sets what you want to have as mesaures in the window.

Otherwise, Google is your friend wink_o.gif

yeah there is a menu, but is real life inch the same as in ArmA?

i dont think so.

for example: In Unreal 16 3Ds Max Units is one Inch.

cu

chriz

Guest RKSL-Rock
hi!

How many Units in 3Ds Max is one inch in ArmA?

I need it for measuring issues.

To model a House or a weapon at accurate dimensions.

cu

chriz

The truth is no one (outside of BIS) actually knows what the scale is. Unless one of the devs is kind enough to let us know we'll have to wait and find out for ourselves once they release the mod tools.

In O2 one square was 1m, not if I know that this will help, but anyways smile_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
In O2 one square was 1m, not if I know that this will help, but anyways smile_o.gif

You've kinda missed the point of the question.

Chriz6662 asked about the relative scale for 3DSMax to 02.  So how many 3DSMax units = 1m in ArmA/O2.

And in O2 1 unit wasnt equal to 3DS Max's 1M scale.  

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>EDIT: 1m = 39.37inches = 3.94 O2(OFP) units</span>

I dont know that ArmA uses exactly the same scale but from what i have seen so far it looks likely.

you could quite easely find out. make a cube in 3ds which side is 1m.

inport it into whatever program you like.

meshure the lenth of the cube sides.

if you're lucky it will be the same as in 3ds. if not you can simply do like this

now take whatever you got and devide it with every model you create.

Edit* whatever, questions answered

It doesnt matter, O2 light for OFP had a "master scale" option on import, so you can make your model in whatever scale you like in 3ds max, then set the scale (usually trial and error) when importing into O2.

Guest RKSL-Rock
It doesnt matter, O2 light for OFP had a "master scale" option on import, so you can make your model in whatever scale you like in 3ds max, then set the scale (usually trial and error) when importing into O2.

Yeah but knowing the actual scale ratio negates the need to fart about with trial and error! rofl.gif

Yeah but knowing the actual scale ratio negates the need to fart about with trial and error! rofl.gif

Well yeah, but I doubt we'll ever be told that, especially since everyone models in a different scale, as long as we can set our own scale then theres no problem. And 5 mins trial and error to know what scale you need to use for the rest of your imports is no biggie now, is it wink_o.gif

wasnt that scale assumed rather than varified and all addons makers generally followed that as a rule of thumb?

I always ended up having to scale things down after using that 'scale' as the flashpoint proxies were smaller than that scale.

I've haven't heard any verifications of it, mostly used it as a thumb tounge2.gif

You might be able to convert a P3D to a 3DS file and bring it into the program,provided it keeps its same size. By doing that it would help to clear up your question.

you can change the unit size under the menu CUSTOMIZE, then select UNITS SETUP....

First thing, dont use inches!!! Thats some dumb american standard which is only there to make them unique, kind of like NTSC vs PAL.

I wont get into this as it is offtopic... but before anyone jumps on me for saying dumb american standard... I am an american.... I prefer to use METRIC as that is what o2 works with and is easy to use.

Also dont forget about what it means to scale in 3dsmax. Lets say you build a cube and its .75 x .75 x .75

and then you say to yourself I need it to be 1m x 1m x 1m...

if you use the scale out of subobject mode and eyeball it until you have 1m x 1m x 1m... It will actually not be the correct size even though you are seeing it that way. the data is still baked into the verts. The only way to make it correct is to use RESET XFORM.

This is a pain in the ass sometimes if you dont know which objects have been scaled out of subobject mode... Its always better to use this on the objects. But can be messy if your objects are setup with stacked modifiers...

this post is meant for 3dsmax users who know the program enough to understand the gibberish... Sorry if its confusing... If you need a better explanation let me know.

But what DEADMEAT said is the best way only if you take notes on what your doing. I often use different settings to match the scale when importing to o2.... but if i have to come back to the file a month later and have to reimport a part from my scene, im screwed if i dont have that number and dont feel confident enough to trust its not going to mess with the existing LODS in my ow file.

here is an example of where I learned through a TRIAL BY FIRE kind of experience when exporting different LODS set up in max when I exported a 11 template setup for an editor based placable NAJAF graveyard template

BETA_048.jpg