Sign in to follow this  

RTO - soldier with radio

I thought about the things that might be missing in this great game but I think one thing definitely is missing:

the RTO!

I think BLUFOR should have a very up to date radio (like the one made by BAS) and Res and East should have an older one.

What do you guys think?

BTW: Any ideas how to open the config.bin in the characters.pbo? I only remember editing config.cpp files in OFP.

Yes, I know they have headphones but I thought these are only for company communications.

If a squad leader wants to call air or artillery support a more powerful radio is required.

I do not know the current US radio technique but I guess they still have a RTO to communicate with battalion or division HQ or artillery.

I agree with you. There needs to be some sort of communications system setup. This will allow addon makers to introduce anti-communications equipment.

I don't have the game yet, so if anyone decides to pick this up, please try to make it some sort of open source system so that ALL adons could use it together.

Abs

I do believe rockape and RKSL is planning a wider approach to battlefield comms and how every aspect of the army links up to it etc etc

although its not my place to go into details, so I rather he explain what he wishes to, if anything.

Guest RKSL-Rock
I do believe rockape and RKSL is planning a wider approach to battlefield comms and how every aspect of the army links up to it etc etc

although its not my place to go into details, so I rather he explain what he wishes to, if anything.

We do have a plan to develop a "datalink" system that would simulate the passing of info from recon assets (eg ASTOR/JTIDS, UAV's, Search Radar and AWACS) to other suitably equipped units. The type or format of information would be dependant on the vehicle type and kit. But it will most likely be in the form of an 'update' marking the players map with reported enemy positions.

Unfortunately for the US kit fans, we're focusing on UK kit but the system should be reasonably generic to allow other kit to be converted later on.

Yes, I know they have headphones but I thought these are only for company communications.

If a squad leader wants to call air or artillery support a more powerful radio is required.

I do not know the current US radio technique but I guess they still have a RTO to communicate with battalion or division HQ or  artillery.

For communication with Artillery assets, Forward Observers are used. Communication with battalion is done with manpacks from the CO HQ platoon/section. Comms with division is routed through a network routing system provided by Signal assets.

When calls are made at range, they're relayed then encrypted/decrypted from the Signal network, this is usually done at Echelons Below Corps but is also often done at Echelons Above Corps which is the relationship between multiple signal networks working in unison.

It would be simpler to just make a guy with a SINCGARS on something on his back.

Yes, that's what I meant.

A guy with a radio (or a SINCGARS) on his back.

Well, as there is no forward observer in front of a recon squad in enemy territory I said a more powerful radio is required which the SINCGARS might be.

I hope to see something similar once the tools are out. smile_o.gif

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I did Signal for 3 years, but I was Echelon Above Corps and didn't work with anything below Brigade strength. I'm technically still Signal, but I don't do anykind of Signal branch job.

Uh, anyways, SINCGARS is most likely what you want, though there are other kinds of small directional cone radio setups. I can't think of what they're called but they're basically portable TACSAT and SMAR-T setups.

If the unit is mounted, some of the humvees should be equipped with a SINCGARS and whip antennas with ICOMS or something to relay throughout the convoy.

A Forward Observer isn't like a scout or something, he's an attached soldier and integrates with the squad or platoon or whatever. An Air Force Combat Controller is usually attached to SOF, like Rangers or SF or any others, and act as a liasion between the team and air assets while the 2 Deltas liasion between the team and any artillery assets.

Calling for CAS is done with a 9-line radio call that gets relayed up the chain, it's almost identical to a 9-line medivac. Calling for artillery is similar also, it's been awhile since I've done those so I would have to look them up.