Sign in to follow this  
C255.Shifty

Multiplayer Questions

I have a few questions regarding the Multiplayer, which I couldn't find a proper answer on the forums(Yes I used the search function:( )

1. Will there be a commander position, like in Battlefield, who can spot the enemies and place artillery fire

2. Which Multiplayer modes will be in the game, I already know Deathmatch, Seize the Base, and Capture the Flag.

3. I have never played Operation Flashpoint, so I have no idea how a clanwar looks like.So .. vs .. will clanwars be? Like 30vs30??

4. Are there any Multiplayer Vid's online, I mean not, player vs AI, but real player vs player videos.

I have a few questions regarding the Multiplayer, which I couldn't find a proper answer on the forums(Yes I used the search function:( )

1. Will there be a commander position, like in Battlefield, who can spot the enemies and place artillery fire

2. Which Multiplayer modes will be in the game, I already know Deathmatch, Seize the Base, and Capture the Flag.

3. I have never played Operation Flashpoint, so I have no idea how a clanwar looks like.So .. vs .. will clanwars be? Like 30vs30??

4. Are there any Multiplayer Vid's online, I mean not, player vs AI, but real player vs player videos.

1: LOL

2: CTI, Coops

3: Well maybe 30 v 30 if it does'nt lagg. In OFP it was more like 8v8, not sure if there will be many clans about with 30+ players. But i was lucky to be in one that had more then 30.

4: Google

3: Well maybe 30 v 30 if it does'nt lagg. In OFP it was more like 8v8, not sure if there will be many clans about with 30+ players. But i was lucky to be in one that had more then 30.

Weve had >30 player coops and PvP matches as well without major technical problems. smile_o.gif

1. dont think so...lol

2. ArmA will have an own mission-editor with own script language...so think of a game mode and it will be possible within ArmA!

3. There will be a player number minimum for clan matches i think and the maximum will be limited by the slots of players within the map.

So we have to wait to see which numbers of players an ArmA server can handle.

4. Do u mean ArmA multiplayer videos?..dont think there r many out yet. But there r quite a lot OFP multiplayer videos at youtube.

:P

HELLO AND WELCOME FROM BATTLEFIELD 2

1. thats not a problem to do that with a scripts

2. as many modes as people can create

3. limited buy map settings and connection possibilities

4. what do you mean? write demos? i think it's impossible. But it is possible to place in spectator slot and make a video

HELLO AND WELCOME FROM BATTLEFIELD 2

Was that really necessary? I don't think so, if you don't have anything constructive to offer you should move on to another thread.

First post alert (Thanks placebo for activating my account).

I would love to see more detail about the MP aspects of the game.

Well, the deathmatch vid doesn't really do ArmA multiplayer any justice, tbh.

Quote[/b] ]1. Will there be a commander position, like in Battlefield, who can spot the enemies and place artillery fire

3) advertised 64 max players, may be more. It's all dependant onthe server and the mission being played. Now look for answers on 1) & 2) wink_o.gif

1) & 2) : it's very hard to be clear in the answer. Basically, it's : yes. And No. Or Yes or No. But Yes and Yes! wink_o.gif

So.... all answers lies in your question number 2) :

There is any, any "multiplayer mode" you want. The editor is powerfull enough (judging the OFP one, and ArmA one is enhanced) to virtually remove any limit in your imagination.

You can copy any game concept, and invent new ones.

You can put in game any respawn system, any commanding feature and structure you want.

Any vehicle supply/spawning you want.

Any possible scenario (if you want for example to built an "assault" scenario like found in UT or futur Quake Wars) and events (this is mainly usefull in coop mod)

You can even customize somewhat the UI and such.

So things like artillery control are completely feasible without any hassle.

Now, to do this you need to design, test, re-design, debug, etc... your mission, after you have learnt the mission editor enough. Few people do it.

So situation will most likely be like that :

When ArmA comes out, it'll be released with missions built by Bohemia Interactive, mainly for multiplayer mode :

- a bunch of cooperative, vs AIs, missions. Very scenarized, and mimicking real operations.

- Deathmatch modes, in team or not, which are basic deathmatch in a confined area with respawn rather random.

- Capture the Flag mode, mostly in team, around a predefined and limited area

- Capture the Island, which is the new and possibly major concept in ArmA multiplayer (keep in mind it's only 1 of the infinite possible concept wink_o.gif ), where 2 sides will struggle, for hours, for the control of the island, with I guess (not seen it firsthand, you must ask the Czech for this wink_o.gif ) a mix of players and AI on each side, doing their "mission" (capture town X, defend bridge Y, things like that), being resupplied by backlines, etc...

These will be played for a while.

Shortly after that, the first user made missions will appear (you can see in the "User Made Missions" forum here a few coops have already been done by the Czech version owners). For Multiplayer non-coop, at first it will be mostly nothing new : Capture&Hold mode, Battlefield copycat, CTI modifications and adjustments. Some will be good, some crap, so you'll find the good one on every server, a,nd the others will disappear.

You'll find servers mostly playing coop, others mostly C&H and BF modes, others CTIs, etc...

Probably, someone, someday, will come up with something completely new and innovative. Which will soon be found on many servers, and enhanced.

This is what happened in OFP, how it has evolved (the "new concept" for OFP being CTI mode, mainly). OFP suffered from major multiplayer issue, mainly the lack of what we call "JiP" (Join in Progress) stopping people from joining mid-game, whatever the mode played (you can see how it hurts competitive, free-to-play gameplay)

ArmA shouldn't suffer from the same issues.

Now, with that idillic description done, a few points to keep in mind :

- OFP/ArmA is slow compared to other competitive multiplayer games of today. That will probably make many unhappy. Now, I also know a bit of Quake players that found OFP really good and played it for years, so it's not that much of an issue if you get hooked wink_o.gif

- ArmA is huge. Impressive scale, never seen before in an FPS game, I think. That adds up to the slowness of the game, of course. You don't go from A to B easily. That also can lead to rather vehicle-oriented gameplay sometimes, of course dependant on mission design. It's not of the taste of everyone

- You'll find many realism-freaks in community. Assuming you're not one (big assumption here, I've no clue wink_o.gif ), you may sometimes get flak from them. Let them talk icon_rolleyes.gif There will be enough room on ArmA, enough different server, to let them play their game while you play yours.

During the golden age of OFP, a friend and I started a project that would allow for a peristant online battle in the hopes that a JiP system would be implemented.

Now I can continue the project.