Sign in to follow this  
kegetys

1.40 bugs and some small improvement suggestions

Some of these have been reported by other people too but anyway, here goes:

1) Sometimes, when an user joins in game and he doesnt have an addon that the map needs, OFP wont properly disconnect him with the "user disconnected" message but he will stay as a ghost on the server for some time, until he timeouts. It would be nice if an addon is missing, the user would immediately drop off, maybe with a special message like "user disconnected (addon missing)". This might also be related to the bug that when an user is missing a world addon (like winter kolgujev) even he wont get an "missing addon" popup window, OFP will just crash to desktop. This will usually result in him tryint to rejoin, and then crash again and again which will result in more and more ghosts in the server until the player will give up.

2) Another rather annoying bug is, that when a commander gives out a move waypoint to multiple players at once (like. "ALL MOVE TO He11") no-one gets the yellow "move to" waypoint marker. When giving out commands to a single person only this marker will be visible.

3) Then is the 1.40 introduced bug which makes some players/ai soldiers to keep repeating the "OH NO... x IS DOWN" message again and again when some player dies.

4) When a player crashes his helicopter or some other vehicle, OFP will say that he died on friendly fire

5) After 1.40, the turrets, at least on helicopters, seem to face to the right by default. This is rather annoying if there is no gunner riding with me so I really cannot use the machine guns.

6) When the AI flies the cessnas they go up-down-up-down-up-down all the time.

7) Sometimes when entering a vehicle in multiplayer the "driverAction/gunnerAction/cargoAction" motion isnt applied properly which results in sitting over the vehicle, standing in it, or something similar. This happens rarely but is rather annoying.

8) Sometimes in multiplayer when many players (with a custom face texture) are sitting in the same vehicle their hand textures get messed up, like the drivers hands look like the gunners hands and vice versa. This has been around since 1.0

9) The drySound in weapons is not heard by others in multiplayer. This makes the car horns quite useless too as the only player who hears it is the driver :)

10) A tank driving over a tree causes massive FPS loss to me if I, the server, or the tank driver is lagged. The screen freezes and I hear sounds of 100 trees falling at once, and after about a second the game continues. These "stops" can be really annoying.                                        

11) The seagull is still swinging left-right-left-right like the helicopters used to in 1.30. And it would be nice if the 3rd person view could be used as a seagull even when its disabled form the server (no use to "cheat" with it after you have already died ;) The seagull could be a bit faster too.

12) The total score for resistance side is not visible in the multiplayer statistics list (the one displayed by pressing I). At least not when there is no east side in game.                                                            

Possible minor improvements:

1) Add some coloring to the multiplayer lobbies. Like different colours for <unassigned>, AI and players. Also would be nice if my own player name would have a different colour than the others in the pool. Sometimes it takes a while to find myself from the pool list if theres alot of players in the game (like 20)                                                                              

2) Longer text history for multiplayer. The #userlist command is kinda useless now when I can only see a few players in the list. Maybe something like a quake console style pulldown window that would have a longer chat history.

3) Display a different disconnect message when a player gets kicked (like "player disconnected (kicked)"

Here´s my system specs too if some of these are related to them...

Intel Celeron 566@890MHz

Abit BE5-2 v2.0 with intel BX chipset

512MB ram

GeForce2 MX with 23.11 Detonators and DirectX 8.1

Windows 2000 SP2

2) works fine for me, we use this all the time in co-ops we play

4) this is corect, it just does not mean any one killed him, and the player is reduced in points, more so when he has another player abord

5) little bug before 1.40, not from 1.4, you have to set angle the instance you create the vehichle (or is it reset it again latter, can't remember)

8) never seen this, use a pure white custome face and you'll see this never happens

9) I can hear every sound, even other car horns

10) sounds like your vid card is laking, never seen this

11) seaguls all ways swung around, not as much in 1.4, the swinging stops rather fast, us the "*" key for better viewing and then the kb keys for movement

every thing on my machine is twice as fast as yours tounge.gif

1.65 ghz AMD

512 DDR Ram

Radeon 32 meg DDR

tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RN Malboeuf on 3:42 pm on Jan. 3, 2002

2) works fine for me, we use this all the time in co-ops we play

<span id='postcolor'>

Do you play in cadet or veteran mode? Dedicated or 'standard' server?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

4) this is corect, it just does not mean any one killed him, and the player is reduced in points, more so when he has another player abord<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah but some players go crazy about this yelling "stupid f***ers why did you kill me blah blah im on your  side" when they really killed themselves tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">8) never seen this, use a pure white custome face and you'll see this never happens<span id='postcolor'>

um... it does happen for me no matter what face I use. And I know it happens to some others too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">9) I can hear every sound, even other car horns<span id='postcolor'>

Do you use EAX or hardware acceleration? (I dont)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">10) sounds like your vid card is laking, never seen this<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe, but why would that cause the tree fallover sound play a million times? its not like the same sound is repeating, but rather playing multiple times so its not just normal directsound thing that happens when fps is too low. And it only happens in multiplayer...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">11) seaguls all ways swung around, not as much in 1.4, the swinging stops rather fast, us the "*" key for better viewing and then the kb keys for movement<span id='postcolor'>

I remember the seagull being all different in 1.0... I dont like using the free look mode as its really hard to know which way you are flying after that. 3rd person would help this but it cannot be used when disabled from server.

2) cadet mode, in Vet mode it's tured off totally for every one, it flashes for 2 seconds, if your not watching the direction you'll miss it, but you'll see the yellow pointer still though, in all our RN missions, we use lots of way points.

4)

then explain to them, and then call them a newbie

8)

try the pure white custom face, you will see no one gets mixed colors in thier hands

9)

I use both, when I use head phones I turn it off, when I use my surround sound speakers when no one is at home to disturb I enable it

I still hear every sound, I have a SB live, and I make sure to set it to two speaker/headphones mode when I use headphone (if you do not then you loose the rear sounds in speaker mode), and I set it to 4 piece speaker mode for surround sound

When we RN race hummers we always blas each other with horns, we have quite a few of race style missionsm one in witer, it's just awesome (thx btw)

10)

what sound card do you have? my SB live is set to 1024 voices (means different sounds it can play) if yuo have a lesser card I do know that allot of games had these same problems

when they run out of chanels they repeated the last sound over and over just the way you described it

(Edited by RN Malboeuf at 11:45 am on Jan. 3, 2002)

2) It works in veteran mode too, thats what we always play with, all possible aids disabled (3rd person, crosshair, etc.) The yellow marker is there for a while when giving individual orders but when ordering multiple soldiers at once the waypoint will never be visible. Even when facing the correct way. Its a pain for the leader to have to give the move command to everyone individually.

4) But it would still be better without that friendly fire tag, since its a false tag anyway in that case.

8) Well I dont know about pure white face but for me the textures get messed up anyway. I know this because in my face texture the hands are skin colored and every time im in a vehicle with someone else my hands arent mine anymore, I get camo hands, etc etc.

9) Maybe they arent heard without EAX or Hardware acceleration then. I have an SB128 and as creative f**kers havent bothered to write w2k drivers for this card I have to use the ones microsoft provides and they dont support eax or hardware acceleration. and I dont hear the car horns... (or the gun dry sounds)

I dont think the n.10 bug is caused by my sound card. Its rather a multiplayer code bug, possibly flooding me with tree fallover data which causes the tree to fall over 100 times. Thats where the sound could come from, plus I have sometimes seen the tree first fall over, then get back up again, and then go down again when a tank rams it. Also some tanks seem to appear like they are firing many times when there are lagged players in the game. ie. sometimes an ai controlled tank fires six times. (but still causing damage worth one shot) so it could be caused by all the clients sending data to the server about the firing, and when they are lagged they all send the data in a little different time, which is then visible to all the other players as multiple shots. Maybe same with the falling trees too...

Right on...

BIS should study this thread closely.

*BUMP*

One more... I think that when placing markers on the map, the other sides see them too... ie. when a west player puts a marker in to the map "I am here wounded" the east side sees that too wink.gif Im not 100% sure of this but alot of people complain about that bug still being there, I havent been able to test it yet with 1.40 myself.

I agree, BIS should study this thread closely.

Also, the scoring (when you prees "I" or at end of mission) doesn't somtimes give you the right score. Like for example you do very good, but at the end your name doesn't even show up because you got 0. This is really unfair for clan battles.

One more thing I have faced now some times after installing 1.40, is that after dying in multiplayer, just at the moment when im supposed to move into the seagull (after the camera zooming) OFP just hangs, the music loops the same few second buffer endlessly and no key does nothing. I have to kill the procress with task manager... Some other people I play with have faced this too, any hints what might cause this?

Small improvements:

When typing cursor right key should repeat your last message like in an fps shooter console.

Annoying when you want someone to tell an internet adress and there is much traffic "on air" and the other wants to write it down and you had to retype it many times.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (animalica @ Jan. 07 2002,09:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Small improvements:

When typing cursor right key should repeat your last message like in an fps shooter console.

Annoying when you want someone to tell an internet adress and there is much traffic "on air" and the other wants to write it down and you had to retype it many times.<span id='postcolor'>

Don't you mean the up arrow?

In any case, I don't think this is a valid request simply because people shouldn't chat while playing, they should concentrate on playing. Just my opinion, no need to flame.

Adding a pulldown chat history would solve that problem... The up/down arrows are already used to change the chat channel. And people tend to use that kind of "repeat last message with the up arrow" features to flood crap to the chat.

I would like to add the following:

* Vehicles are bouncing when you shoot at them

* AI soldiers sometimes seem to have problems navigating when they are in a forest: they won't fall back into formation or move to the assigned position (answer: 'negative'). I am not sure if this problem still exists in bases (getting in and out of bases bug).

Another idea that popped into my mind while making a mission... Defining new vehicle classes (with vehicleClass) would help mission makers with user made addons... Right now, as we are limited to only the default ones (Men,Car,Armoured,Air,Camera,Ammo,Objects) all the stuff in addons are forced to put in those, which, at least for me has resulted in all those categories being full of different units, which makes browsing it hard.

For example, if I could do VehicleClass="Men (Arctic)" for the arctic soldiers in Winter Kolgujev would make things alot simplier for people who are making missions. Would this be a very hard thing to add?

Btw. are you BIS people even reading this thread? suma? any comments from you would be appreciated? smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Jan. 17 2002,16:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Btw. are you BIS people even reading this thread? suma? any comments from you would be appreciated? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

A good question smile.gif

There are many bug reports in this forum and the 1.2x betatest forum. Maybe BIS can give us a list with known bugs, and an indication which bugs will be fixed in a future patch.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One more thing I have faced now some times after installing 1.40, is that after dying in multiplayer, just at the moment when im supposed to move into the seagull (after the camera zooming) OFP just hangs, the music loops the same few second buffer endlessly and no key does nothing. I have to kill the procress with task manager... Some other people I play with have faced this too, any hints what might cause this?<span id='postcolor'>

Yep m8 seen this one a few times in multiplayer, in both win98se and winXP, and not only in 1.4, as i am at 1.3 (Due to the "Oh no is down" bug still being there in 1.4 and 1.42) this bug has been around for a while.........and i have to hardboot me puter mad.gif